It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baucus Bill Establishes Potential Waiting Lists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Health Waiting Lists

I noticed the provision last week, when I searched for every single dollar sign in the bill. What I didn't notice was one part of it, which discussed what would happen if expenses were too much for the government to cover with the $5 billion that would be authorized under this section for temporary coverage of those with preexisting conditions.

"If the Secretary estimates for any fiscal year that the aggregate amounts available for payment of expenses of the high risk pool will be less than the amount of the expenses, the Secretary shall make such adjustments as are necessary to eliminate such deficit, including reducing benefits, increasing premiums, or establishing waiting lists," the bill states.

As mentioned in the article, this seems allow for "rationing of care" for those with pre-existing conditions if the money should run short. And who actually believes that we won't run short of money?

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by willow1d
As mentioned in the article, this seems allow for "rationing of care" for those with pre-existing conditions if the money should run short.

That's not an article. It's a blog. I don't suppose you've read the Baucus Bill... I don't want it to pass either, but not because of what someone says in a blog. This is pure speculation.

From your source:

Is this rationing? Let me know what you think this section of the Baucus bill would do.

I don't know what it would do, but let's have someone that knows what it means explain it.

[edit on 26-10-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Another bill to read.

"If the Secretary estimates for any fiscal year that the aggregate amounts available for payment of expenses of the high risk pool will be less than the amount of the expenses, the Secretary shall make such adjustments as are necessary to eliminate such deficit, including reducing benefits, increasing premiums, or establishing waiting lists," the bill states.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seiko
Another bill to read. This is a pdf link.

Baucus bill

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by willow1d

I am big enough to admit my mistake.

I stand corrected.

edit, I am pointing out that the term waiting list does appear here. It is in reference to temporary pools for high risk individuals, but "waiting list" does appear and I was mistaken.

[edit on 26-10-2009 by Seiko]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

That's not an article. It's a blog. I don't suppose you've read the Baucus Bill... I don't want it to pass either, but not because of what someone says in a blog. This is pure speculation...I don't know what it would do, but let's have someone that knows what it means explain it.

I don't know, it seems to be straight forward to me. Here it is straight from the Baucus bill. You find the link in my response to Seiko.

`(2) INSUFFICIENT FUNDS- If the Secretary estimates for any fiscal year that the aggregate amounts available for payment of expenses of the high risk pool will be less than the amount of the expenses, the Secretary shall make such adjustments as are necessary to eliminate such deficit, including reducing benefits, increasing premiums, or establishing waiting lists.

There's nothing there not to understand. It plainly says the Secretary can establish waiting lists for the "high risk pool".

In Ss2213 here's the part that says what can be in the high risk pool:

`(A) DETERMINATION OF HIGH-RISK INDIVIDUALS- The method by which individuals will be identified as high risk individuals for purposes of the reinsurance program established under this section. Such method shall provide for identification of individuals as high-risk individuals on the basis of--

`(i) a list of at least 50 but not more than 100 medical conditions that are identified as high-risk conditions and that may be based on the identification of diagnostic and procedure codes that are indicative of individuals with pre-existing, high-risk conditions;

So, are these guys going to be included in the high risk pools listed in Ss2215?

Here's from Ss2215 which has the "waiting list"

SEC. 2215. TEMPORARY HIGH RISK POOLS FOR INDIVIDUALS WITH PREEXISTING CONDITIONS.

`(a) Establishment of High Risk Pools-

`(1) IN GENERAL- Not later than 1 year after the date of enactment of this title, the Secretary shall establish 1 or more high risk pools that--

`(A) provide to all eligible individuals health insurance coverage (or comparable coverage) that does not impose any preexisting condition exclusion with respect to such coverage for all eligible individuals; and

`(B) provide for health benefits coverage and premium rates described under subsection (b).

It takes people on blogs to make us aware of what is in the bill. And Jamie Dupree is highly respected so I have no reason not to believe what he says. Here I have given you the actual working from the US website itself. No speculation involved there.

[edit on 10/26/2009 by willow1d]

new topics

top topics

join