It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Toronto water has drug-resistant bacteria

page: 1
7
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Toronto water has drug-resistant bacteria


news.ca.msn.com



Bacteria resistant to some antibiotics have been found in Toronto tap water, a University of Michigan scientist says.

The water remains safe to drink, he said, but the finding raises the possibility that disease-causing bacteria will pick up the resistance genes.

***The researchers don't know what kinds of bacteria they've found, just that they can't be killed by antibiotics.
(visit the link for the full news article)




posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
It was scary enough to find this is hospitals where you expect to go to get well. But in the safety of your own home now..your water could kill you.
We must stop overusing antibiotics for everything...
What do we do when in an effort to stay healthy from infections using drugs,we inadvertently poison our own water supply?
Man shall be his own undoing...

news.ca.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)



posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
drink Faygo little one, drink faygo.

tap water is for bathing only anyway isnt it?



posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I made a thread just last night about this possibility in my GM Microbes invade North America thread. Glad to see the point has been proven. There are psych drugs and hormones in the water as well and also move up the food chain to affect us all.



posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Totalstranger
 


Screw Faygo Drink beer!

That's nice of them, drug resistant bacteria. Oh good.

People wonder why I only take enough antibiotics to start to feel better than throw the rest away. It's because our bodies are meant to develop our own defenses. This is the reason I rarely get sick.



posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno
 


Actually, taking antibiotics only until you start to feel better is why microbes develop resistance. The greater number of weaker ones are killed off by a few days worth of pill popping but the stronger ones are only slightly weakened unless you take the full course.

If you stop in the middle of a course of antibiotic taking, the stronger ones that survived the "attack" (by antibiotics) will now be resistant to that antibiotic. That's how you make drug resistant strains of disease.



posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I won't touch anything that says antibiotic myself. I use soap, and water, and I scrub.

Speaking of the staph infections from hospitals, there was an interesting study done that says mauka honey may kill staph. Perhaps the egyptians really were brilliant.

manuka honey story



posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by Totalstranger
 


Screw Faygo Drink beer!

That's nice of them, drug resistant bacteria. Oh good.

People wonder why I only take enough antibiotics to start to feel better than throw the rest away. It's because our bodies are meant to develop our own defenses. This is the reason I rarely get sick.

Hold onto your hat Wukky..close to homebase...


At his lab in Ann Arbor, Mich., microbiologist Prof. Chuanwu Xi showed a stack of petri dishes, some filled with yellow dots of bacteria that should have been killed off by antibiotics. The source of the bacteria was drinking water from several communities in Ohio and Michigan.



posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied
 


My question is... any tests as as to whether they stood up to Whiskey or Beer?


Honestly... this is why kids drank Beer in the 1700s and 1800s because the water was not sanitary enough to drink.

I don't drink as much beer any more as I do whiskey... (Whiskey has a lower calories) but from what I can tell some folks are even recommending Whiskey as a preventative for the H1N1...



posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka
 


Considering your body needs water or else you get dehydrated, and illness follows...
Drinking alcohol as a substitute is not very wise.



posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
That's why I never drink tap water. Tap water is infested with heavy metal and drugs.

And I'm not kidding. 3 years ago, I worked for the city I live in, we tested the water for anything in it... we found lead and a bunch of other heavy metals... and of course fluoride... in not healthy concentrations. Since then, I've not drank any tap water, except at my parent's house where they have a well, and water in that well is coming from the mountains.



posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave
reply to post by whatukno
 


Actually, taking antibiotics only until you start to feel better is why microbes develop resistance. The greater number of weaker ones are killed off by a few days worth of pill popping but the stronger ones are only slightly weakened unless you take the full course.

If you stop in the middle of a course of antibiotic taking, the stronger ones that survived the "attack" (by antibiotics) will now be resistant to that antibiotic. That's how you make drug resistant strains of disease.


I was going to say this, but you beat me to it.



posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I know the jury is still out on Morgellons but Totalstrangers remark about tap water being meant only for bathing got me wondering. Is there a possibility that there is a relationship there. It would be interesting to find out how many sufferers there are in the Toronto area and if there is a correlation. When I first moved into my present dwelling my tap water was from a well and it was the best water I had ever consumed. A few years later it became polluted and you could turn the tap on just slightly and light the initial out flow with a match. I then received a letter in the mail from the Health authorities that it was deemed unsafe to drink.



posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Yes it is resistant bacteria. It may show a trend towards the future of a disease causing bacteria to develop the same resistance. Is it a disease causing bacteria? No. Are most types of bacteria harmless? Yes. The word "bacteria" is often associated with something negative. Many kinds of bacteria are actually good things to have around. If it weren't for the E. coli in your stomach you would have an extremely hampered digestive ability. Not all bacteria are evil death bringers! BTW there is bacteria on every surface you come in contact with! Every single one!

With that said I will add that there is nothing to fear as of now. I'm happy this "resistant" strain is of a harmless variety. We will see where this pans out but hopefully nothing will come of this.



posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied
 



But most bacteria in the environment are not the kinds that cause human disease, so the water is safe to drink, the researchers said.


is that the proper use of the word "is"!?




we're all gonna die.




posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied
 


And thus. Drink more beer!

I gotta get down to Florida



posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Totalstranger
drink Faygo little one, drink faygo.

tap water is for bathing only anyway isnt it?


I don't think everyone know's what Faygo is. It's pretty regional isn't it?

I really like the Redpop. Who knew red tasted so good?



posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by billybob

is that the proper use of the word "is"!?


I believe so. Water (singular) is. Lakes (plural) are.



posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

Originally posted by Totalstranger
drink Faygo little one, drink faygo.

tap water is for bathing only anyway isnt it?


I don't think everyone know's what Faygo is. It's pretty regional isn't it?

I really like the Redpop. Who knew red tasted so good?

We have Faygo here..foul tasting stuff...I'd prefer the tap water.



posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
reply to post by HunkaHunka
 


Considering your body needs water or else you get dehydrated, and illness follows...
Drinking alcohol as a substitute is not very wise.


LOL Tell that to the children of the 1700s England!

I'm just tellin ya that when water was unsanitary, Beer was what was drank instead.



new topics

top topics



 
7
<<   2 >>

log in

join