It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Total Recall and How the E-Memory Revolution Will Change Everything

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   
There is a new book on the shelves "Total Recall" I bet we all remember the movie.

No I'm not advertising it, I have no financial interest in it whatsoever. Good that's out of the way then...

Stay with me here... The book kicks off the interesting topic of recalling your life provided you have recorded it in the first place.

Bill Gates, from the Books Foreword............

THE TOTAL RECALL REVOLUTION IS INEVITABLE.

IT WILL CHANGE WHAT IT MEANS TO BE HUMAN.

IT HAS ALREADY BEGUN.

You can bet MS will push the software side there will be big money to be had.

The first few lines from the book people Penguin..

What if you could remember everything? Gordon Bell and Jim Gemmell draw on their experience from their MyLifeBits project at Microsoft Research to explain the benefits to come from an earth-shaking and inevitable increase in electronic memories. In 1998 they began using Bell, a luminary in the computer world, as a test case, attempting to digitally record as much of his life as possible

How many of you guys remember "de⋅ja-vu" the movie with Denzel Washington here they recall the lives of many people and use it for terrorism crime fighting. Oh yes,the movie expands considerably from the simple recording of individual lives with things like travelling back in time. I take that with a pinch of salt but the recording of peoples lives will take hold because there are too many gullible people that will do it. I hate to think that eventually it will reach a critical mass like the cell phone and well get hooked.

What do I mean by Gullible

The idea of having my very own microchip implanted in my body appealed. I have always been an early adopter, so why not.

Read it here
Barcelona clubber's get chipped

This whole scenario for adopting new things is a play on the the young - I'm older and wouldn't be chipped without some kicking and screaming but authorities don't care about that, time is on their side eventually it will grab hold and incentives gained. At the moment you get chipped and receive a discount on your drinks. Oh then perhaps a discount on your car insurance because its easy to identify you after an accident.

Another movie that highlighted this was "Final Cut" Robin Williams a deceased person could have their life cut into a movie. The only issue here was they had to be chipped with a special device that recorded there life. Again a pinch of salt is required.

I imagine on the other hand how useful it could be for those who are genetically exposed to memory problems. Remembering after forgetting could be a miracle for some. Do you really want to remember everything you’ve ever done some of us may prefer to not bring it up ? On the other hand you wouldn't have crime because you would get caught red handed so to speak.

Anyone recall Moore's Law? Moore's Law estimates that computing power doubles every 18 months. The reason for this is manufactures use ultraviolet radiation to etch ever smaller components onto a silicon chip. Now if you recall they announced a fabricated material that worked for red light instead of ultraviolet I think this was previously thought impossible.
This may indeed speed up Moores Law.
Moore's law on Wikipedia although I think this is not quite up-to-date.

While we started with transistors and made them small enough to be placed on LSI chips eventually we scaled up to today's mass storage. It doesn't take much to imagine eventually we'll be using quantum computers with unimaginable power.

The question is where will this take us all, will our recorded lives be hooked into video and sound feeds from security cameras. Will we also be hooked into a GPS chips that record where we are and have been within a meter or two and time and date stamped us to the millisecond.

Penguin book company say...

Total Recall is a technological revolution that will accomplish nothing less than a transformation in the way humans think about the meaning of their lives.

I would be interested in your thoughts. Will it happen, could it happen, what could happen, when do you think it could happen - naturally none of this could happen until computing power gets there first. There's a bit to digest not in my writings but in the consequents of its use, will there be alternative motives for its introduction will it have conspiracy undertones.

Food for thought

Cheers

MJ2

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I wouldn't mind having my life recorded. It will be a very boring movie, though, and the length: one lifetime. I know, we'll call it : "The Only Movie You'll Ever See!"

It is a good idea. It just has so many negatives to it. If you get to keep your normal memory, and something on the artificial one breaks, you'll be safe. Imagine having the memory of dozens of people who were at a crime. Could people take the memories if it is for an investigation? It would make life so much easier, instead of 'bring him down to the station', its 'give me your mem-chip.' If it is implanted, though, it wont work so well...

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Microsoft are already doing this. They are monitoring people, stealing there lifes memories, already happening.

These people are pure scum. But no one can take any thought you have and apply it to them, and understand it. We all live in our own worlds.

Microsoft and i will say it again, are already doing this. They target people, and steal there whole life from them. They are in effect just raping them, as your life should be your own.

Pure scum = Microsoft.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Microsoft are already doing this. They are monitoring people, stealing there lifes memories, already happening.

I'm not sure what you mean perhaps you could take a moment to explain more

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by majestictwo

Their stealing there lifes memory. Here, they're and everyware else.

Apparently, Microsoft is stealing the memory of grammar first!

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by majestictwo

I can tell you that Google remembers every search you have ever done from your IP address!

I can't possibly remember every search I ever ran, in fact I only keep maybe 60 days of search history in my browser...

but Google keeps EVERYTHING.

So what you say? Well they say that investigators can tell a lot about someone by the searches they run. So I suspect that's why Google keeps this valuable data, it's worth something because it says a lot about us, our interests, etc. And I've seen TV shows about criminal investigations that get a search warrant to retrieve records from Google.

And Google has more than just search records, for people that have gmail accounts, and other Google services, like using the Chrome browser for example, the information collected can go deeper and still deeper until they know more about us than we know about ourselves!

I don't know if MSFT is doing the same thing with their Bing search that Google is doing, but they might be.

new topics

top topics

join