It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What makes Truth true?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I was wathcing Tv today and say some ad about a law show, the ad its self wasn't all that interesting but one line got me thinking, "its the juries job to decide whats true".

this is a pretty true statement about our legal systems were it isn't who is right but who can prove it the most, but can't this be said about every part of our society. thing that people comonly accept as the truth are not always neceacarly correct, the best example of this is prior to the renascence were it was the abilute truth that the earth was flat and the centre of the universe.

when it comes down to it, it is the majority which decides what people need to see as truth

i'd like to know what other people think of this.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I'd say it's a couple of things. First, there is a general consensus about what's "true", a social understanding of it. We all "know" that the earth is round, and ridicule those who claim otherwise. It is likely that some of what we all "know" is simply false, and will eventually be seen as false.

There are all sorts of things that some people claim to see, that others do not see. Some, for example, claim to see an aura around people. Most people see no such thing. So are the aura-seers better able to see something that's really there, or are they deluded? And, how do you prove it, one way or the other?

There are some chemicals that taste intensely bitter to some, but that are tasteless to others. We know that the chemical exists, because we can see it and put it on a bit of paper, and people can (sometimes) taste it. But what of things that we can't confirm through some other means? Just because some people don't see it, does that mean it's not there? Not necessarily, but it's best not to insist, if you happen to see something others don't.

The second aspect of "truth", it seems, is consistency. If I see a flower, maybe it's there. If I can touch it and feel it, I'm more confident of its existence. Same if I can smell it. If I could only see it, and when I tried to touch it I couldn't feel it at all, then I'd have to question my vision. Maybe I was hallucinating or dreaming or something.

Sometimes at night I might see what looks like a person standing on the corner. When I look again, I see it's just the way the shadows fall. The image of the person wasn't consistent. It didn't survive a closer examination.

But ultimately, we really don't know what's true. For all we know, all our life might be a very convincing dream that we'll wake up from soon. Or a hallucination, or whatever. The Matrix movies gave a hint of this possibility. Everything we think we know could be some sort of illusion. But, lacking any compelling reason to assume otherwise, I try to take things pretty much at face value. Doing otherwise is probably unhealthy in the long run...

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by RokNinja

Truth is relative......

Only when dealing with absolutes you can clearly state wether it be the one or the other. For the rest, it is up to our interpetation of what is true and what is false.

It's a sticky subject and i'm not touching it with a ten foot pole......

Peace

Ps: Star and Flag for indirectly generating some good reading material if this thread gets some of the more educated minds here on ATS to join in the discussion.....can't wait!!!

[edit on 26/10/2009 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Yes, there is truth, justice, and mercy.

A good helping of each by an honest jury can see the right thing done in the end.

We are all human, with out own problems, strengths, and weaknesses, and life experience.
Only God knows the absolute truth, but a jury listens to the evidence and decides within their own hearts what is the truth and what is not.

As someone that has been through the justice system, I can tell you that being judged by honest and sincere people is a very humbling experience.

It has taught me mercy, brought me much closer to God, and changed my whole life.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Silver Shadow

I'm sure those who got convicted by one of those same jury's would agree with you.......

In the movies i always watch they bribe the jury or threaten them and so the whole idea of justice is out the window.

People are corruptable and truth sometimes get lost under those conditions. When dealing with 100% honest people you are correct!!

What makes Truth true?

The definition which you give it.....

Peace

[edit on 26/10/2009 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Take my life for instance, the truth kept me going all of the 17 years of being mind controlled. I was the only person, knowing the truths, and everyone was destroying my life on made up stuff. The truth is absolute, and it cannot be changed. It just is, it does not depend on your opinion, or mine, it just is.

Of course there are different types of truths, but i was stating with reference to my own life. People tried to absolutely wreck my life and everyone believed it. So the majority for me believing something is bull, thats not truth.

[edit on 10/26/2009 by andy1033]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   
First of all, truth is proof… and it is a stand-alone item that does not require props or assistance for support. Once something is proven, the deed is done. Period. There is no need to prove it again and again simply because the truth the proof represents is contemporary unpopular.

Another thing - never confuse facts for truth. Facts can be (and often are) manu'fact'ured to suit a specific end or agenda. Facts can indeed support a specific truth but they can also prop up a lie. Always check your facts to make sure they are more than a plastic hubcap on an ugly wheel rim.

One simple bit of truth, as an example, is that nothing unreal exists. If something does exist in fact, it is entirely real. One step further, we can say that nothing that is in fact real is also unnatural. Everything that exists,exists as a natural part of this, our grand universe.

The opposite of this truth is that something that does in fact exist, is somehow supernatural or paranormal. Anything that is real, exists, and anything that exists, no matter how unlikely, is neither paranormal or super natural.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

though isn't an unproved truth, truth regardless?

it is also possible to provide proof on thing that are not ture so that it apears true, as Chrion said from one way something can apear true, but if you exclude or neglect to look at things from the other angle then there is no proof to show other wise.

I often think to my self that truth niether has to be believeed nor believable for it to be true, but for someone to decide it to be so then they must believe it.

so in the end if what is true is only what we decide to believe is true then how will we know if we let the real truth slip by us?

[edit on 26-10-2009 by RokNinja]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by RokNinja
reply to post by redoubt

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
reply to post by RokNinja

Truth is relative......

^This.

There may be absolute truths, the ground is hard, fire is hot,water is wet but would that reality change if enough people believed the opposite. I remember reading an article in college about mass perception affecting reality, in a nutshell it stated that if enough people believed, and I mean believed beyond a shadow of a doubt that the sky was green it would be green, as perception shapes reality.

For me, it's all relative, what may hold true for me may be false for you. My perception shapes my reality and truth.So who's to say what is true or not, there are a multitude of things that were true 100 years ago that today are blatantly false, truth is an ever evolving thing, what will be false 100 years from now that today is the gospel?

My grandfather gave me the single best piece of advice I have ever been given in my entire life. "Nothing is as it seems, question everything, including yourself, believe half of what you can see with your own eyes, and none of what you hear"

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt

Originally posted by RokNinja
reply to post by redoubt

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

my answer to this question is alway what do you consider sound? the vibrations in the air? or the vibrations being intersepted by the ear?

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I could spend the next several weeks attempting to explain "my" truth to you but then again I could say nothing and let you find your own.

I could tell you everything that I know that's taken me nearly all of my life and still you may never know.

TRUTH = understanding/awareness/perception

and so he who is "relative" is king. okay "king" is a bit over the top but it will do.

John thinks that mountains are "tall."
Jane knows that mountains are mountains.

Which statement is true?

If you want to know what truth is go find a mirror and start there.

or not.

May you be wise to your Truth.

join