It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing Angel-Like Northern Lights

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
wow, absolutely amazing!

Thanks a lot for sharing, hopefully some day I will see some, live...

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
great pic. I think we are all going to see an increase in Aurora borealis A.K.A. Northern Lights, with the Pole shifts that are currently underway, 2011-2012 solar maximum, that new dust cloud we are suppose to enter (Solar System that is)...

spaceweather.com is a great site

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

wow.i would love to visit somewhere like this. to see this with the naked eye must be something you would remember the rest of your life.

something to tell the grandkids about thats for sure!!

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Holy crap. I wish I was there. That looks like it would've been a transforming experience. I would cherish it forever.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
That sure is a beautiful picture. Found myself starring at it for some time. There are some very wonderful things in this universe that most people are unaware of and this is a good example of that.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
cool stuff. but not as cool as a UFO or an alien. even a dead one at that. JUST SAYING!

[edit on 10/13/2009 by Zeta Reticuli]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
The aura of the planet is absolutely beautiful! Its a blessing we are able to perceive it

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
S + F !! I would love to see the Norhtern Lights , just a little problem with money. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
ive seen them once in Scotland, but nowhere as strong as this. This pic is from Norway. Pretty common up there. Lucky Norwegians!

I'm Norwegian and have never seen northern lights..
I guess I haven't been far enough to the north... I currently live in Mid-Norway, and I' have yet to see any here.. Lucky Norlendinger! Which we like to call those in northern Norway

And to comment on the photo: Absolutely amazing!! Prettiest northern lights I've ever seen! I must go north some time....

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Handerreder

I'm Norwegian too! Hei på deg!

I was lucky enough to see the Aurora with its fantastic display of colors and lights over Tromsø some years ago. Here is a BBC video with some great footage of Northern Lights over the same area of Norway. Enjoy!

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Absolutely beautiful. I would love to be able to see the lights in person some day.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Magnificent! I have never had the opportunity to personally witness this phenomenon.

Lewis and Clark, during their expedition were fortunate enough to see such a display and Clark found it noteworthy enough to comment upon in a November 6, 1804 journal entry:

From "The Journals of Lewis and Clark/by Meriwether Lewis and William Clark, edited and abridged by Anthony Brandt" (National Geographic Adventure Classics) p 100.

...last night late we were awoke by the sergeant of the guard to see a northern light, which was light, not red, and appeared to darken and was sometimes nearly obscured, and open, and many times appeared in light streaks, at other times a great space light, containing floating columns which appeared to approach each other and retreat, leaving the lighter space at no time of the same appearance.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by GoneGrey

very nice. thanks for sharing this. Imagine hundreds of years ago, it must have had huge significance spiritually for someone to witness this.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
These images are beautiful, such as shame we do not get those in merry ol England.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Starred and flagged amazing photos.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos
Explanation: S&F!

Amazing picture!
Its astounding to see that the sky can act sorta like a tv screen!

Personal Disclosure: I wonder if bluebeam or haarp can produce such amazing phenomena?

Its outstanding that a TV screen can look like the sky more like mate!

[edit on 26-10-2009 by daveyp1986]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Pretty impressive but I'm fairly sure the photo was shot with a special lens like a fisheye or something similar. You can see the effect on the trees, they're all pointing towards the middle of the picture. The lights are showing the same effect with the streaking at the sides.

Cool nonetheless but I don't think it would have looked like an angel to the naked eye, a camera lens has created the effect (I think).

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I love the lights! I live in BC so have seen them a few times but only very early AM.
Here is a video so you can imagine you are there watching this spectacular magical dance in the sky. This too is from Norway.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by dmorgan
Pretty impressive but I'm fairly sure the photo was shot with a special lens like a fisheye or something similar. You can see the effect on the trees, they're all pointing towards the middle of the picture. The lights are showing the same effect with the streaking at the sides.

Cool nonetheless but I don't think it would have looked like an angel to the naked eye, a camera lens has created the effect (I think).

Nope, the lights do look like that.

It is amazing. Check out the video I posted above.That pic may have a fish eye but that is how the lights look to the naked eye. No special lenses or filters required.

[edit on 26-10-2009 by Wormwood Squirm]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by dmorgan
Pretty impressive but I'm fairly sure the photo was shot with a special lens like a fisheye or something similar.

Hi, I currently live in Alaska. I saw the OP image earlier today. That was shot with a Nikon D200. You are right about the wide lens being used. For these you use about a 15 to 30 second exposure or higher. There are some remarkable photographers up here as well if you do a search for Northern Lights images and websites. Digital made them easier to capture than on film. Nikon's new D3X will shoot them even with short exposures.

Fairbanks gets lots of Japanese tourists in the winter just to view them. Most nights in the winter they are visible there. Been slow the last couple of years as the sun has been abnormally quiet. I'm in Anchorage where we don't see them often and there is too much light. We do occasionally get great displays.

Google Northern Lights forecasts and you will find a site that has lots of good links through a university here.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join