It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

there grammers pothetic

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I know I make mistakes sometimes when typing esp with my computer having a key missing

Be sure to read my last post in this thread.
It is guaranteed to make your hair rise...

[edit on 27-10-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by notreallyalive

p.s. I had to look up homonym - not a commonly used word, eh?

isn't HOMONYMS what they make HUMMUSSYMS out of

(ya know hummus? YUMYUM)
I like mine with extra garlic

[edit on 27-10-2009 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
yo man mayb u can jus go around ckin ppls spellin an wecan allb proud of u ancall ugod iwishiwasu dis iz a masiv bigestis conspirasee u is def much mor smartera than even instin and it showz cus u judge ppls braininessss onle on der spel;ling~]

u has mesivlee proved ur well smart init

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Yes, again, I realized when I saw this thread title it was intentional.
I was referring to the ones that are not deliberate.

Lots of errors in thread titles lately. I wish people would take a little more time when typing them. Now, having said that, my next one will very likely be a dreadful, utter mess!

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas

Originally posted by Tallsorts

It's nothing to laugh at, but English is a funny language!!!

Especially - and this is admittedly totally off topic - when in the haste of rabid writing, or simply as a consequence of a faulty keyboard, some characters are omitted that really, really should not have been...
(Like the time I was very busy writing something about "countless women" - and it turned out the O key on the keyboard didn't work properly every time... Worst of all: that message board did not have the "edit" option.
Oh yeah. That was one post to remember...
)

Back to topic (somewhat): I am constantly baffled by the use of "except" instead of accept.

[edit on 27-10-2009 by Vanitas]

ROFLMAO! For anyone that talks with me here or on skype boy do they know all about missing keys! My "c" key doesnt work and well it isnt there...lol It did work for a bit and it stopped, SO I have to copy and paste every "c" I use. My god I didnt realize how many times that darn letter is used...so now I use "s" or "k" where it fits and if I have to use the "c" key I will just copy and paste. Sometimes my wording or shall I say spelling is quite funny and hard to read...lol
I even made a BTS thread about what happened to my computer...lol

In your case though a non-working letter really makes a difference in meaning. I can only imagine what happened or was said...

As for "affect" and "effect" I too dont understand why people cant figure out the difference. When I was in school they always gave us a sentence where we could easily remember the meaning of commonly misused words and I remember all of those to THIS day!

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Well, I for one do not hold someone in a lesser light because of their spelling or sentence structure. I will post an example of the "grammar police" making fun of me in one of my posts. The post was about the fact that ATS is turning into a snobby, elitist kind of culture where rude replies to posts are becoming common, and the ever classic:

"You are a stupid sheep of a person.
second line"

This drives me crazy, and it should be fixed. Many here on ATS now see themselves (the awakened) as being better than someone who still has not "seen the light" and searched for more truth. We call them names, we belittle them, it is wrong. So anyway I make the post and wouldn't you know it?---Someone had to give me an exact example of what I was talking about when I got this one liner where the poster makes a joke of all my hard work and tries to discredit my idea by making fun of my spelling and grammar. Here's the page I am talking about, the comment is from PenandSword and he quotes my entire OP in his reply so you can see the evidence for yourself:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

So yeah, there's a lot of mistakes in my post, but I honestly was just never any good at grammar! Does that make my feelings and ideas any less real or worthy than his? I like how he actually used 2 lines though, that is one line longer than the typical belittling reply. I hope PenandSword feels smarter now that he has claimed his grammar superiourity (sp? LOL)

Judging by the 95% of well received feedback, I must have made some good points that a lot of folks agreed with. This is what makes his obtuse reply stick out even more. He could have at least told me what I was doing wrong...you know, something constructive.

In closing, I just want to say that a persons spelling or grammar is not a perfect way to judge their intelligence. I was just never any good at it, I did go to college, and I failed English. I suggest that if misspelled words or other grammatical errors bother you so much, at least tell the person where their mistake was. If someone did that with me I would really appreciate it.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Lol I know what you mean. I have noticed that a lot lately and its driving me insane! If I cant understand the title I am probably not going to read it..

I know my last post I did was all messed up when I read through it. Im rushing in between cooking..lol

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enigma Publius
The post was about the fact that ATS is turning into a snobby, elitist kind of culture where rude replies to posts are becoming common, and the ever classic:

second line"

This drives me crazy, and it should be fixed.

Personally, I couldn't agree more.

But haven't you noticed that the posts of those who write like that usually have very little punctuation - about as little as their authors have respect for others...?

Punctuation is the tell-tale sign of THOUGHT articulation.
And the amount of thought given to a post is - in my view - directly correlated to the respect for others, the future readers of the post.

And that's what this is all about (certainly in my opinion): it's not about "policing" grammar and punctuation and syntax - far from it.

It's about the THOUGHT that is invested in any given post.

(I wrote a thread about some of the questions you raise here.
It is mentioned in my first reply in this thread.)

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Enigma Publius

second line"

(De Niro voice)...You talkin' to me? Are YOU talkin' to ME?!?

second line.....

Gosh that felt great! Never used that 'second line' bit before...seems...ummmm....what's my motivation again????

Oh, right...got it. Thanks.

[clears throat]

"Take Two...."

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

English is not just difficult for native speakers. Ever done any ESL teaching? It's unbelievably difficult. English is considered to be very difficult to learn. It's a germanic base that got mixed with French starting in the year 1066 with the battle of hastings which makes it a germanic-romance language; the only one like it in the world. It follows rules which were derived from the rules of Latin. I learned in a linguistics class that you don't end a sentence with a preposition because that's how it is in Latin. WTF? During the middle ages many of today's rules were conceived of(lifted basically, from Latin) for the first time and they were based solely on rules that were laid out for the structure of Latin. Also English is not what we speak here in the states. Astounding I know. but American became it's own language back in the early 60's. As terrible as it sounds to my ears to write this next part it's actually American that we are speaking in the states.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonsmusic
reply to post by Vanitas

As terrible as it sounds to my ears to write this next part it's actually American that we are speaking in the states.

Thanks! Never heard that before
[That is something of which I've never before heard ... uh, this grammar thing can go too far!]

[edit on 28-10-2009 by notreallyalive]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by notreallyalive

It is not rude to correct the spelling and grammar mistakes others make, unless you do that in a rude way. Don't go round in a spelling and grammar Gestapo kind of way and fashion about it and you should be fine. Let's keep in mind, this is an international forum and there are a lot of people for whom English is not the first language (or mother language, that's what they call it where I live). So, yeah, cut some people some slack ... and no, common abbreviations as used in chat rooms and situations should be best used sparsely and for good reason.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonsmusic

English is not just difficult for native speakers.

Well, my point was that it isn't (or shouldn't be) too difficult for anyone.

The origins of the present structure (of any language) don't really matter, as long as it reflects the natural development of it: it's the collective Self of the group that develops a language, so it is naturally grasped by any member of that group (i.e. a native speaker).
But of course, not all "standard" versions of any given language reflect the natural development at all times. Bringing Latin into the equation - a good 1000 + years after its disappearance - surely is not going to help...

Also English is not what we speak here in the states. Astounding I know.

Not really. According to the illustrious professor Henry Higgins, "there are places where English completely disappears. Why, in America they haven't used it for years!"

[edit on 28-10-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
Definately: There is no such word.
Infinately: No such word.
Disrespected: There is NO SUCH WORD.

I guess I must have missed the memo on this, because I'm under the assumption that all of those are real words.

Granted the first two are spelled incorrectly, but why would you say that 'disrespected' is not a word? Here, let me give you an example:

"I'm tired of being disrespected by you."

Does that sound wrong to you?

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by the siren

I see no problem with 'disrespect' as it's a valid use of a prefix to change the sense of the word as in 'unreal'. It serves double time being used as a verb and takes on the burden of tenses as well which brings us to 'disrespected' quite legally in terms of the language rules IMHO.

There's couple of examples of creativity gone wrong that still get to me like 'irregardless' and 'somethink' - do they really?

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
English is a silly language. Tear and Tear can mean different things and yet are spelled the same?????? Tis very stupid.

I personally don’t care how people spell. I care more about the content of a sentence rather then how the words are spelt.

And...English is just made up of other languages. WE STOLE OTHER PEOPLE'S LANGUAGE AND JUST ADDED OUR OWN LITTLE TWIST!

spelling phonetically ftw

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I don't see why such a big fuss. English is in fact a very difficult language to learn because for one, the words aren't often pronounced exactly like their spelled (as in, Finnish or Swedish, say) and, even worse is when there are several words which have identical or similar spellings or pronunciations which mean different things, as in, there, they're and their, or here and hear, or which and witch. It's an unnecessarily complex language - even French is simpler to learn, IMO.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
The problem goes fairly deep

The state police here issued a calendar some years back as a fundraising initiative for the neighbourhood watch movement. It was designed by a team at the main headquarters and you'd think that it would have been proof-read at least a few times or at least examined by numerous people before going to press. However, the day it was released for sale, it became evident that they'd spelt 'calendar' incorrectly
and the entire issued had to be recalled, destroyed and a new issue published at some considerable expense. More than a few red faces at headquarters that day and it got TV coverage too.

I see more egregious errors than that daily though in published media which is a shame really with all the spell-check utilities on offer in publishing software.

[edit on 31/10/2009 by Pilgrum]

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sacrosanct
English is in fact a very difficult language to learn because for one, the words aren't often pronounced exactly like their spelled (as in, Finnish or Swedish, say) and, even worse is when there are several words which have identical or similar spellings or pronunciations which mean different things, as in, there, they're and their, or here and hear, or which and witch. It's an unnecessarily complex language - even French is simpler to learn, IMO.

Is that a fact?
Let me ask you something: is English your native language?
And how many foreign languages - and from which linguistic groups - have you studied ?

I may sound angry, but I am not.
I am asking this simply because it's getting to be somewhat frustrating to be listening (OK, reading) these repeated assertions about English being oh-so-difficult (and for natives, no less?
), without any comparison.

And how is a language "unnecessarily complex"?
It is exactly as "complex" as needed, in order to accommodate the mental structures whence it originates.

As I said, I may sound angry - and I am somewhat irritated at this point - but not at YOU personally.
It's just that this thread, along with many other forums, is starting to resemble a conversation among a bunch of deaf people...

[edit on 31-10-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Ah - finally: the official statement issued by the Ministry of Silly Talk...!

Now I am relieved.
Case closed.

[edit on 31-10-2009 by Vanitas]

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join