It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

there grammers pothetic

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I use proper grammar, and I rarely make a spelling error, thanks to spell check and my own advanced literacy.

If you are concerned over peoples' poor grammar on the internet, then you haven't been here very long.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by free_form
I use proper grammar, and I rarely make a spelling error, thanks to spell check and my own advanced literacy.

If you are concerned over peoples' poor grammar on the internet, then you haven't been here very long.

I haven't given up on the idea that speaking/typing correctly can have a significant effect or affect (hmm? lol) on how people share their beliefs. Do I expect it to change significantly? Not really.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by notreallyalive

Dude, peoples alredy feels bad enuff bout the world sitiation as it is man. If you spent more time over at mamanyms house you wouldnt be so worried bout this suff ya know? Try bein nicer to us here at ats cause we are upset bout enuff stuff. I know Im smart. heck every body knows it that knows me man.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I suspect that many of the posts you refer to are written by people in the UK. Schools here don't teach English any more (or not in any useful way), and teachers aren't allowed to correct pupils' spelling and grammar because apparently it traumatises them (rather than, as I used to think, teaching them spelling and grammar).

If you suggest to anyone under 30 that they might make more effort to get their point across clearly, they get rather uppity, because it will typically be the first time the lazy, pampered brats have ever been told it's a problem.

On the other hand, since no one here under 30 has ever been taught anything other than how wonderful they are, they have nothing interesting to say anyway, so their posts can safely be ignored

(Hope I haven't offended anyone. If I have, feel free to prove me wrong
)

[edit on 26-10-2009 by Franz]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
G®@mm@®,

I often come across as wordy.
I do not use words to make myself sound more intelligent, I just like to stretch those vocabulary muscles.

Pertaining more so to the argument at hand, it's a matter of preference.
I enjoy using new words, and expanding my own level of communicatory skill.
Often times, I separate contractions like don't into do and not, but that very thing is what can make a point come across as the afore mentioned "Wordy"
Some people have it in them, and some people are just incapable, not from lack of aptitude, but laziness.

I'm not knocking them though.
I enjoy the creative use of words and what they represent.

I am readily receptive to redundant use of relevant reasoning.
Reversing the otherwise redacted rhetoric, rampant though it may be.
Reacted upon, rightfully and without reproach, resembling a righteousness without rhyme or reason.
Respectfully, reported by your's truly, RETICLEDC.

[edit on 10/26/2009 by reticledc]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by boaby_phet
reply to post by jimmyx

i have to 100% disagree... just because a OP or reply is spelt and punctuated like a paragraph from the oxford dictionary, does not mean it has more credence over a OP or reply that has poor spelling and punctuation.

Yes it does. It suggests that the poster is thinking about what they are writing. It shows that they know how to express themselves. It shows consideration to the reader.

If I have to make a big effort to guess what you mean with your vague, badly-worded sentences, why should I bother? I might get the meaning wrong because you have not successfully conveyed what you mean. More probably, I will assume that you haven't formulated your thoughts coherently to start with, and ignore everything you write.

imo that view can be quite short minded, and blatently SUPPORTING IGNORANCE, as if you cannot see past a misspelt word or poorly punctuated paragraph, you could well be denying fact!

remember , this is ATS .. DENY IGNORANCE!

If you want people to think you are intelligent, it's up to you to show it. Nobody owes it to you.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I've developed my own language, spelling and rules of grammar.

It might seem familiar because it is loosely based on English.

It's actually quite colorful as some was developed while working construction in my youth and other elements were derived from barroom chatter. Some even came from popular culture via movies and even popular comedians.

Git er done!

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
"Are you one of those people who care about using correct grammar?"

Actually that would be cares. See the one of rule. Are you one of those people who cares about using correct grammar?

Remove the "of those people" and you will see what I mean. As in "are you one who cares"

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonsmusic
"Are you one of those people who care about using correct grammar?"

Actually that would be cares. See the one of rule. Are you one of those people who cares about using correct grammar?

Remove the "of those people" and you will see what I mean. As in "are you one who cares"

You're right! Thanks.

The line I choose to notice perfect grammar is pretty high, yet we all make mistakes. Would that have normally stood out to you as blatant? The way (you might assume) I see "your" instead of "you're?"

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by lernmore
Besides, as another poster's signature said...

Commas save lives!

Let's eat grandpa!
Let's eat, grandpa!

I just urinated myself, thank you.

Originally posted by Chadwickus
We need MC Hammer to do some schoolin'!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9fc2b6ddb66d.gif[/atsimg]

If I had any more urine left...

Originally posted by alyosha1981
Grammer is not an accurate indicator of intelligence

I agree, being well-read is not the same thing as being intelligent...although, I'm guilty of judging peoples intelligence by their grammar often, in my mind at least. I have to remind myself that there are a lot of people who are not well-read that have IQ's off the charts.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   

I think it would have, but not because of my being smart. I'm not . I only remember it because my English teacher in High School used to drill the "one of" rule into our heads every chance she could. She also taught us a rule for the use of commas called FANBOYS.
For
And
Nor
But
Or
Yet
So

Commas are only necessary when used before each of these words. The exception being a noun of self address. As in the above posted "let's eat, grandpa!"

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Haha I've been thinking the same thing for a while now.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Texting, email, twitter and the list goes on........ will be the end of grammar as we once knew it.

Short-form writing is the evolution of language. This is the age of impatience, instant gratification and entitlement(some might add laziness).

The letters we used to write and send across the globe and around the corner to keep in contact with friends and family have been lost to technology. The art of writing has gone the way of the dinosaur.

Even popular music today cuts corners and bastardizes our language. Rap has done nothing to aid proper grammatical skills. The youth speaks in riddles or perhaps personalized license plates.

But the question is, does it have a negative effect other than annoying the so called grammar police? Remember "olde english"? It seems very poetic when spoken these days. Will the english of 10-30 years ago have the same poetic flair when it is completely gone? Yes it will be gone.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I've been a professional proofreader for 25 years. I've never been bothered by incorrect grammar usage on ATS or any other forum. What difference does it make? The OP himself made an error. It isn't like posters are submitting theses, resumes, contracts, etc.

Moving on...

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Since we're on the subject of punctuation,
which is most likely to be a work of fiction:
A panda eats shoots and leaves.
-or-
A panda eats, shoots, and leaves.
?

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by yuefo

It's not about making errors, typos, whatever there may be...
As I understand the OP, it's about total negligence of the culture of verbal expression.
And that definitely has far-reaching implications, in my opinion.

Everybody can have a lapsus calami (don't expect me to decline "computer keyboard" :-), everyone can make errors - you may not believe this, but I have met a highly (and deservedly) respected master of the written word who spells "dilemma" with an n: dilemna) - but not being familiar with the simplest, commonest contractions, elementary school stuff, really is a pretty bad sign, in my opinion.

There. I have spoken.
I shall speak no more.

[edit on 26-10-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Okay, I'm in. I have a few pet peeves and most of them have already been covered. Here they are again:

Their: This involves a person, or a living entity.
They're: contraction for they are.
There: Is not alive. Is a place, destination or thing.

Indefinitly: Something is not definite.
Definately: There is no such word.

Infinitely: It's infinite.
Infinately: No such word.

Respectful: Full of respect.
Disrespectful: Is full of disrespect.
Disrespected: There is NO SUCH WORD.

Whether and weather already covered.

Okay, I'm done. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Otherwise there is a chance I would have been disrespectful to the posters and their infinite misuse of these words whether the weather was beautiful or inclement.

~~The above does not apply to non-English speakers. Your little errors do not bother me in the least.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Franz

If I have to make a big effort to guess what you mean with your vague, badly-worded sentences, why should I bother? I might get the meaning wrong because you have not successfully conveyed what you mean. More probably, I will assume that you haven't formulated your thoughts coherently to start with, and ignore everything you write.

Exactly.
And it would not be an unfair assumption.

In practice, with certain more or less morbid exceptions, "fuzzy" talk really does equate "fuzzy" thought.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Not much to say here except that I agree. The grammar mistakes I see on ATS shouldn't escape a 2nd grade classroom, but I see them everywhere.

I always felt embarrassed or ashamed if I used a word incorrectly. It means my audience might associate me with an uneducated or feeble-minded group.

[edit on 26-10-2009 by 30_seconds]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by reticledc

I am readily receptive to redundant use of relevant reasoning.
Reversing the otherwise redacted rhetoric, rampant though it may be.
Reacted upon, rightfully and without reproach, resembling a righteousness without rhyme or reason.
Respectfully, reported by your's truly, RETICLEDC.

[edit on 10/26/2009 by reticledc]

Love it!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join