It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

there grammers pothetic

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

i have to 100% disagree... just because a OP or reply is spelt and punctuated like a paragraph from the oxford dictionary, does not mean it has more credence over a OP or reply that has poor spelling and punctuation.

imo that view can be quite short minded, and blatently SUPPORTING IGNORANCE, as if you cannot see past a misspelt word or poorly punctuated paragraph, you could well be denying fact!

remember , this is ATS .. DENY IGNORANCE!

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam

Originally posted by atlasastro
...noun's ... verb's ... The's ... can's ... noun's ... verb's ... noun's ... verb's ... noun's ... verb's

10 errors I can see

They are not errors. Apostrophes can be used as contraction markers to indicate where a word or letters is left out.

In all these examples, within the context of the poem, the 's represents IS.

Noun is, Verb is, Can is.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Silly little grammar mistakes here and there aren't a big deal in my opinion... probably most of us make them.

What I find annoying is when someone can't even take the time to write a complete, proper sentence. When they use horrid shorthand such as u, ur, some1, ppl... the most annoying one is when people write 'with' as 'w/' it seems incredibly lazy.

Also, sometimes you can tell the person writing has not put an ounce of thought into it and have just pounded on the keyboard producing an illegible ~stream of consciousness~ with no punctuation, sentence structure or paragraphs
/rant

ATS doesn't seem that bad for it though

[edit on 26-10-2009 by Internet Explorer]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I'm not a grammar Nazi - but I wish I was

I use my own form of punctuation - sometimes using hyphens instead of comma's, semi colons or colons (I use correct punctuation if I think its necessary). It helps to break up sentences, and also to allows more space into paragraphs.

I think reading text online is more difficult than reading a book, where you can hold it in your hands - so I like to break things up a lot more than I would if I were writing something to be printed. I use far shorter paragraphs, and other methods to improve the readers ability to comprehend.

My grammatical style seems to be unique - but I'd like to see it catch on
Another thing I do, is drop apostrophe's from well known contractions. When youre writing they are no effort - but when typing they are an additional (and in my view unecesasary) keystroke.

Anyway - I am with the OP - I dont mind what kind of grammatical structures you use, but at least try to put in some punctuation and sort things in a logical sequence.

The "streams of consciousness/deranged ramblings" style might have worked for Faulkner, but I wouldnt place too many on ATS in his literary class.

PS: "ur" is not something I would even find acceptable on an SMS. It is fairly disgusting in my view - along with the moron level abbreviations used commonly in SMS text. Its totally unnecessary, and it looks retarded.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
nope dont bother me cause where ilive we talk like this lancashire e-bye -gum .
wot-on-abourt-thee- tha-nose-nert-dus-tha-c-wha-a-mean..
:roll

du-ya-no-wha-a-meen

even at school gramer was not pushed hard(redneck school), some of the teachers where worse than me. but im talking 35 years + ago ,Ithink it is better now at school- i mean.
dont let it get to you because i carnt write and i dont do it on purpose ,i mean bad gramer is not done on purpose its lack of education or understanding also your enviroment as a lot to do with it ,but there are people who excell and overcome around here(this area we live) and talk and write well ,not many though,
my wifes sisters hubby carnt read or write and i know of others too. she fills everything out for him like important things banks n stuff,
My uncle employs 145 people is 7 to 8 times a millionaire also both his sons ,and he only has limited pigeon english but can play piano and read music ??????.

[edit on 10/26/2009 by dashar]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by CRB86
They are not errors. Apostrophes can be used as contraction markers to indicate where a word or letters is left out.

In all these examples, within the context of the poem, the 's represents IS.

Noun is, Verb is, Can is.

Is's:

W'ile I d'd rea'ize t'ey we'e re'resentative o' "is" a'd tha' t'is w's a po'm wh'ch h's a wi'e la'itude of f'eedom ca'led "poe'ic li'cence" (sp.?), I d'd n't kn'w w' c'uld ma'e n'n-c'mmon con'ractions, e'pecially o't o' no'ns su'h a' th' no'n "noun".

Cleaned up a bit for readability:

Is is:

While I did realize they were representative of "is" and that this was a poem which has a wide latitude of freedom called "poetic liscence" (sp.?), I did not know we could make non-common contractions, especially out of nouns such as the noun "noun".

Much to my surprise, I checked the manuals of style and could not find any rules on non-common contractions. In school we were only allowed common contractions and by college/university we were not allowed any contractions whatsoever.

I realize they change the rules and even the spelling of words annually. For instance, "learnt" was not an acceptable word in school; but now, it's in most of the Internet dictionaries. Words such as "dunno" which started with that lame-brain cartoon are listed as common contractions now!

Essentially, I found NO rules saying we couldn't make contractions out of words which are not common contractions.

Thank you for the "heads up".

This thread is more fun than CT!

[edit on 26-10-2009 by Trexter Ziam]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by notreallyalive
[See I should have used "incorrectly" here, but no need to be stuffy right?]

Should be parenthesis instead of brackets.

All I'm asking for is the most simple basics, so here's a test:

A) Their dog is black.
B) They're on vacation so I'm watching it for them.
C) There in Florida for two weeks!

Which one is wrong?
C; it should be they're which means "they are"

Unless of course that sentence was out of context. For example.
"I'm telling you, we were there when it happen."
"Where?"
"There in Florida, for two weeks!"

Many things that can be wrong out of context can be correct within context. That and, sometimes the writing style demands for things to be incorrect to convey the proper characterization. And let us not forget the writings of ee cummings, the poet, who made a career out of doing things incorrectly.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Speaking on the debate, and evolution of the word "aluminium" a few posts back...(just a reminder, it appears that the Americanized pronunciation and spelling may be in error)...I ran across a surprising word whilst (don't you love that one? 'whilst'...and I'm a Yank!) reading Mark Twain.

---"supposably". In place and in context where I would have written "supposedly"---

Now, I mention this because I had a friend 'while back who said "supposably" all the time (and I never had the heart to correct him - now I'm glad I didn't).

Anyone know the entymology of the word??? Perhaps it's just an obsolete usage form? (Or possibly idiomatic?)

Also, maybe in the same vein --- the word "suite" pronounced with a long 'u' sound to describe a group of furniture, (as you would describe a Man's 'suit'), versus the more French way, as in a 'suite'...odd, that.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

"There in Florida, for two weeks!"

Yes, that would be correct, as a declarative in response to a query...although it treads very close to being a sentence fragment, it's OK, I think, in vernacular.

However, it does again point out the power of the 'comma'.

A very funny book, (if you're into grammar and proper usage) is titled, "Eats, Shoots and Leaves."

It's a fast read (thin) with a Panda on the front cover....(get it?)

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by notreallyalive

I post exclusively on a Playstation 3 with the included controller. It is a pain in the but...see? I am not going to fix that because my time on earth is short. Really, aside from resume's and higher learning, what effect will grammatical mistakes have on your legacy (lol).

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442

Please understand I considered this when I wrote the thread and purposefully directed this at people educated in America who seem more intelligent and knowledgeable then their grammar indicates.

THAN.

THAN their grammar indicates.

Ah...nothing like an English teacher trying to teach German.

Then is used for a series of events, and than is used as a comparison tool.

"I am going to the mall, the bookstore, and THEN my house."
"I would rather play basketball THAN football."

Okay!?

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by boaby_phet
reply to post by jimmyx

i have to 100% disagree... just because a OP or reply is spelt and punctuated like a paragraph from the oxford dictionary, does not mean it has more credence over a OP or reply that has poor spelling and punctuation.

imo that view can be quite short minded, and blatently SUPPORTING IGNORANCE, as if you cannot see past a misspelt word or poorly punctuated paragraph, you could well be denying fact!

remember , this is ATS .. DENY IGNORANCE!

well...maybe you can tell me, who holds power in this world who is NOT proficient in language?

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

well, he is not in power now ... but im fairly sure george bush jr had his fair share of grammer gaffs! And if memory serves me right he was president of the usa till the begining of this year.

Did you also know that Richard brandson is dyslexic. ?!

thats 2 right their for you.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981
Grammer is not an accurate indicator of intelligence...

I agree.

However, education does not equal intelligence and vice versa.

I does "sound" like a bad chord whenever I see someone post about how educated they are, but then they don't seem to know the slightest thing about grammar, syntax, or spelling.

Also, I believe there are T&C rules about NOT using a texting-style in posts here on ATS.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

Well i believe in descriptive linguistics, so do what you want, as long as its not aesthetically repugnant, because then my perscriptive alter-ego kicks in.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I also find myself making judgements ( yeah I prefer the british way) about people that cannot spell, won't even try to make a sentence, and do not care.

I make mistakes all the time but I will try my best to at least PRETEND I understand this language!!!! It's not the people that type poory that really bother me, it's the people that have been typing for quite some time and do not bother to learn the basics, that bother moi.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981
Grammer is not an accurate indicator of intelligence, take for example a person who posts from their mobile phone, with all the bumping and jarring there's bound to be some gramatical errors. Or take for example the person who is at work and is rushing a "knee jerk response" and dosen't have time to check sentence structure and spelling.

I wouldn't say that good grammar can measure the totality of one's intelligence but I certainly think it is one way of determining whether an individual is intelligent or not. If an individual can repeatedly write in a cogent and eloquent manner then it should not be discounted.

I believe where possible, a person should 'proof read' their material before posting. It ensures good English free from grammatical (or other) errors being shown in the text and should be more satisfying, to the writer in question.

Originally posted by Orion65
I disagree with "ur" being an acceptable shortcut. In my opinion it decreases the intelligence of the sentence/post.

But I agree that there are a lot of spelling and grammar errors, and I'm sure I've made them myself from time to time.

My bold. I believe one should not begin a sentence with a conjuction; such as "but" or "and"?

"However, I agree..."

And..I beg your pardon. In addition, I believe the second highlighted word ought to be "grammatical" rather than "grammar".

I don't understand why a person should be irritated by their grammar/spelling/punctuation being correct by another person. Surely all of us should be eager to learn and if being corrected, (best not to put a comma before or after "and") is one way of learning then embrace it. An additional good indicator of intelligence can be displayed by not becoming hostile towards other who correct your written English (thus exhibiting a humility and an eagerness to learn). Now of course, an individual skilled in the English language may opt to use informal and formal prose. In order to cater to different audiences and perhaps to add variance to their written English! One should also consider instances of 'ellipsis' occuring in a person's output. I.e. Wouldn't do that to myself. Which should read " I wouldn't do that to myself".

Here's the pedantic part (although I enjoy it). The word 'myself' is a reflexive pronoun. Which means it should not be used without the letter/word "I" preceeding it.

Now please, feel free to correct thy English!

[edit on 26-10-2009 by Retro~Burn]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
First, please note i'm not a native english speaker,
but i clearly agree with the OP; conveying though can be quite challenging, that's why each language has a standard way to be written, and thats what actually makes communication possible.
Of course, everyone can , and actually will make errors, but if nobody try to correct his/her errors, i guess we enter a kind of devolution spiral, obviously that is not leading somewhere nice....

and please excuse any errors above

(i swear i'm still learning how to write english correctly)

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by atlasastro

I'm pretty open to diversity, classes, culture, etc. I posted a bit in the 2nd post but I appreciate the warning

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I think text speak is just sloppy and lazy when you have a full size keyboard at your disposal. Either that or it signifies the writer is about 13!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join