It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

there grammers pothetic

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Your going on about peoples grammer, and you cant even spell pathetic. And its "There grammer is pathetic" not "There grammers pothetic".

You should check yourself first mate.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas

Originally posted by redoubt

But beyond all that, ignorance does not immediately imply a personality of similar dysfunction. Just because Johnny can't write doesn't mean that Johnny is a knuckle-dragging meth user. In short, we shouldn't judge a book by its cover... or in this case, its spelling.

No, but it does signify - certainly very often - an unwillingness to learn (AKA good old sloth), poor observation skills, or disregard for commonly accepted standards; and since these standards are cultural, unrelated to any sort of political/economic oppression (unless, of course, one is a demagogue fishing for the votes of the semi-literate
), that could imply an antisocial personality.

Are we talking about stereotyping a group based on our limited knowledge of just a few?

You can apply your yard stick as you see fit. That is your right. I would only caution against assuming too much.

Cheers

[edit on 26-10-2009 by redoubt]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

No, we are talking about the opposite of stereotyping, actually.
(Which is why I took the time to elaborate in a relatively lengthy fashion about a few of the points that could be made about this matter.)

But I have stated my "case" so often - and in so many words - within this thread as well as in previous posts, that I don't think, not anymore, anything I say is going to make a difference - because nobody is reading it.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ignorance Denied
Your going on about peoples grammer, and you cant even spell pathetic. And its "There grammer is pathetic" not "There grammers pothetic".

I think he was being sarcastic, in the thread title, lol.

As far as i am concerned, as long as i can get the jist of what people are writing, i am ok with it. The one thing that annoys me, is when people put all there post in one block of writing, without any paragraphs. I just ignore those massive paragraphs, it is so hard to read, when people put it all in one. They need to break what they are saying into paragraphs. Thats the only gripe i have about reading on this board.

Even though my grammar might not be perfect as you english scholars, you can always just ignore what i am saying, if you want, thats your right.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   

That's almost as bad as the OP.

If you're going to call someone out, get it right.

Your sentence should be...

"You're going on about people's grammar and you can't even spell pathetic.
It's "their grammar is pathetic", not "There grammers pothetic"

I think the OP was taking the piss with their title.

Oh man..... this thread is just hilarious.

(can't wait for someone to do me next
)

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
The Grammar Lesson

Steve Kowit

A noun's a thing. A verb's the thing it does.
An adjective is what describes the noun.
In "The can of beets is filled with purple fuzz"

of and with are prepositions. The's
an article, a can's a noun,
a noun's a thing. A verb's the thing it does.

A can can roll - or not. What isn't was
or might be, might meaning not yet known.
"Our can of beets is filled with purple fuzz"

is present tense. While words like our and us
are pronouns - i.e. it is moldy, they are icky brown.
A noun's a thing; a verb's the thing it does.

Is is a helping verb. It helps because
filled isn't a full verb. Can's what our owns
in "Our can of beets is filled with purple fuzz."

See? There's almost nothing to it. Just
memorize these rules...or write them down!
A noun's a thing, a verb's the thing it does.
The can of beets is filled with purple fuzz.

Why for you kick my grammar and call me get stuffed.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   

I know some rednecks that may be upset with you. When you say: "there Grammers is pathetic"(note-must be said with stereotypical deep southern American accent). They may hear you saying:"There! grandma's is pathetic". I suggest you run in case they take offense and grab grammers(grandma's when translated from stereotypical deep southern drawl) shot gun and correct your version of their grammar(Grandma's).

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by atlasastro
...noun's ... verb's ... The's ... can's ... noun's ... verb's ... noun's ... verb's ... noun's ... verb's

10 errors I can see

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Haha! This is a riot! It should be "Their grammar is pathetic."

We can't even grammar police ourselves without error!

Edit TYPO! Really it was a typo.

[edit on 26-10-2009 by Trexter Ziam]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
flock cough my brothers its not about how the letters are on the page but about the bomb in the envolope my cousins.

[edit on 26-10-2009 by osama bim laden]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by notreallyalive

Please understand I considered this when I wrote the thread and purposefully directed this at people educated in America who seem more intelligent and knowledgeable than their grammar indicates.

Oh that's good then because we don't use English down here - SO THERE

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
i really wish i could anti star this post, if their was such a thing.

this is a message board, a forum , a place for everyone and anyone to post their points of view. Not everyone has the best skills in writing , typing or spelling, alot of peope suffer dysleksia and even though their spelling is of and punctuation is wrong doesnt mean that they lack intelligence.

personaly, i think the most brainless thing i constantly see on ATS (other than no pics = fake replys to UFO sightings) is when an op with a very valid point is flamed and made to look stupid, not because of the subject matter but because of the spelling! Arguing peoples spelling and punctuation in a post on ATS solves and prooves NOTHING, all it shows is that the person having a go about the spelling is analy retentive and most likely not worth discusing anything with as their more interested with the formation of sentances and not the formation of truth and facts!

if anyone notices if i have any spelling mistakes or punctuation errors in this post ... well you can go swivel as this is not a school exam ! i left that 15 years ago!

(i would also like to point out, im just talking about normal chat, i think things like using a shortened internet chat / TxT is mega lame! )

[edit on 26-10-2009 by boaby_phet]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

Or take for example the person who is at work and is rushing a "knee jerk response" and dosen't have time to check sentence structure and spelling.

When someone speaks the language though, you shouldn't really have to go back and check the structure and grammar of a sentence. It should come naturally; especially when it's a first language.

Many other languages have grammar that is way more complex than in English. German, for example, has four grammatical cases, three genders, adjective endings, and these fun sentences where the verb is put on the end for no apparent reason; and all these have to be in agreement for a sentence to make sense sometimes. A native German speaker doesn't, from what I've seen, make as many (if any) mistakes with their German grammar as English speakers do with English grammar.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
As long as we're on the topic, lately I've been noticing an upsurge in phrases like "could of" and "must of". Last I knew, it should be "could have" and "must have" That's why the contraction is "could've", and not "could'f".

I think that if you have any respect for whoever may be reading what you've written, you'll take the time to express yourself in a clear, understandable fashion.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by octotom
A native German speaker doesn't, from what I've seen, make as many (if any) mistakes with their German grammar as English speakers do with English grammar.

I wonder why that might be! I heard they had ovens for people who wrote or spoke in a way that seemed odd to certain educators, in Germany at one time.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I've been a legal secretary for many years. My livelihood depends on knowing and using proper grammar and spelling, as well as catching errors in the text that attorneys give me. I'm highly competent at this task, but I still make mistakes. The presence of errors in a person's writing is a poor measure of the person's intelligence, education, or knowledge.

English is a difficult language to use "properly". The grammar is a beast. Spelling is even worse. There is often not the slightest connection between the spelling of a word and its pronunciation. Slaughter and laughter. Tough, cough, though, plough, hiccough, through. Come on, who the heck can spell those words correctly; or figure out how they should be pronounced? For, four, fore, to, too, two, one, won, eight, ate, and so on, and so forth. Or is that fourth?

I know some extremely bright people who can't string a proper sentence together to save their lives. Their spelling is atrocious, their grammar primitive, yet they are geniuses. Just as some people simply cannot grasp mathematics, others have problems with language.

Though I find spelling and grammar mistakes mildly annoying, I don't mind them nearly as much as I do sloppy thinking. If someone has something to say, I can usually get past their bad grammar and spelling mistakes. Seldom is the writing so bad that I can't understand it. But when someone is just talking bollocks, I find myself growing impatient, regardless of how good their writing is.

I think what I'm saying is that, while form is important, it's not as important as substance. If I can only have one or the other, I'll take the substance.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
My grammar sucks. No excuses here. When I was in school, English class was a very painful subject. I had no interest in it, therefore I did not learn what I could. Looking back I wish I did. My vocabulary is very limited and sometimes it is very hard to understand what someone is talking about. I use spell check and a dictionary a lot...lol.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by chiron613

i 100% agree their, its much better to have an OP/reply contribute to a topic with poor speelling and punctuation than it is to see someone flame and harrassed for using poor spelling, if anything the latter shows more of a "lack of thinking" than anything. (and yes, i think my grammar is off in that sentance )

atlasastro - thats not cool bro! ... that was the nazi's, not germans.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I don't care about other people's grammar, but I do care about mine. I am a horrible typist, so I sometimes type "then" instead of "than". And I HATE that because I know the difference, but my fingers have a mind of their own.

I always look it up if I don't know the proper form. A few interesting ones are:

its vs. it's

If it is possessive, there's no apostrophe. (The cup tipped on its side)
If it is a contraction for "it is", then add the apostrophe. (It's a blast)

who vs whom

Who - He
Whom - Him

If the answer to the "who" question is "he", then use "who".
For example: Who is going to the party? HE is.

If the answer to the "who" question is "him", then use "whom".
For example: To whom are you speaking? I'm speaking to HIM.

Affect vs. Effect

MOST of the time,

Effect is a noun. This drug has a side effect.
Affect is a verb. Will this drug affect you?

Exceptions:
To effect change (effect properly used as a verb)
Affect is a psychological term meaning "mood" (He showed fairly good affect)

That concludes today's grammar lesson.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981
Grammer is not an accurate indicator of intelligence, take for example a person who posts from their mobile phone, with all the bumping and jarring there's bound to be some gramatical errors. Or take for example the person who is at work and is rushing a "knee jerk response" and dosen't have time to check sentence structure and spelling.

true, true...but, it is a way for people to express themselves in an intelligent manner, to lend credence to their point, and gravitas to their opinion.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join