It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

there grammers pothetic

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Are you one of those people who care about using correct grammar?
Does it drive you crazy when others use there instead of they're?

I know that I'm more sensitive to incorrect grammar than most. I also know that sometimes it doesn't matter; for example, times when proper grammar would take away from the emotional feel of the piece.

I am amazed EVERY DAY on ATS that seemingly knowledgeable people use the most basic words wrong! [See I should have used "incorrectly" here, but no need to be stuffy right?]

All I'm asking for is the most simple basics, so here's a test:

A) Their dog is black.
B) They're on vacation so I'm watching it for them.
C) There in Florida for two weeks!

Which one is wrong?
C; it should be they're which means "they are"

Try another.

A) Your getting on my nerves being the grammar police!
B) ur not as smart as you think you are.
C) You're not in grad school, are you?

Which is wrong?
A; it should be you're getting on my nerves. you're means "you are."
I think B is perfectly acceptable. "ur" is a commonly used abbreviation/short-cut for you're.

It's rude to correct people and not really worth the time but on the other hand correct grammar truly reflects on the perception people hold of ATS! This, for Americans with English as their first language, should have been well understood by 8th grade! How is it that so many people don't know the basics??

[edit on 26-10-2009 by notreallyalive]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I would like to point out that this thread does not pertain to everyone: it does not consider culture, people with English as a second language, and various other groups.

I don't particularly like the idea that the dominant language is sort of "white English" but that's the language of publications, of Science on occassion, and the legal and communication systems in much of the world.

Please understand I considered this when I wrote the thread and purposefully directed this at people educated in America who seem more intelligent and knowledgeable than their grammar indicates.

Edited for grammar LOL
(spelling slip probably, but still)

+18 more 
posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by notreallyalive
Please understand I considered this when I wrote the thread and purposefully directed this at people educated in America who seem more intelligent and knowledgeable then their grammar indicates.

THAN.

THAN their grammar indicates.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   

How is it that so many people don't know the basics??

i no huh...

they're english suxks, ain't it.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Grammer is not an accurate indicator of intelligence, take for example a person who posts from their mobile phone, with all the bumping and jarring there's bound to be some gramatical errors. Or take for example the person who is at work and is rushing a "knee jerk response" and dosen't have time to check sentence structure and spelling.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I disagree with "ur" being an acceptable shortcut. In my opinion it decreases the intelligence of the sentence/post.

But I agree that there are a lot of spelling and grammar errors, and I'm sure I've made them myself from time to time.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442

Please understand I considered this when I wrote the thread and purposefully directed this at people educated in America who seem more intelligent and knowledgeable then their grammar indicates.

THAN.

THAN their grammar indicates.

Thanks! LOL

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981
Grammer is not an accurate indicator of intelligence...

I agree.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Just so I can finally go ahead and make a notice.

Weather= Conditions outside.
Whether= Well the link can explain this better.

dictionary.reference.com...

I'm like the guy in Anchorman, I read it how it is spelt.

Here is a funny clip about other people, who can't seem to use grammar.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Take into account as well, people who have medical disabilities that hinder their typing skills, or their ability to convey thoughts properly. I have heard that autistics sometimes experience this problem when the condition is mild enough to alow for "normal" motor and speech function. Also Dyslexia could be the cause for problems as well.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Ah, I see the gramma Nazis are holding war games on this thread.

All jolly good fun too.

But seriously, it DOES detract from an otherwise excellent post when gramma or spelin bloopas occur all too frequently.

Each of us have the occasional brain fart, due to impatience, tiredness, lack of formal education, or consumption of certain unmentionable substances.

That is life my friend.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

"Hope you get hit by a church van tonight and you die slowly"

Funny video

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Your title is kinda an oxymoron, you are making fun of spelling while saying the grammar is wrong, and then you use synonyms (hard to spell) as an example for grammar? Muahaha dont I feel superior now

Also I hope you do not mean ESL people on here (and just so you know I just wrote 'hear' and corrected it last second )

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I'm just as guilty as the next guy when it comes to forming an opinion of a poster who often uses incorrect grammar.

My mother used to threaten to beat me for making such mistakes when I was young, but hey, it got me to second place in my high school spelling bee.

When posting in a forum where you may be potentially labeled a nut, merely for your attendance, it stands to reason that doing your best can only influence how you are viewed by others.

Besides, as another poster's signature said...

Commas save lives!

Let's eat grandpa!
Let's eat, grandpa!

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ridhya
Your title is kinda an oxymoron, you are making fun of spelling while saying the grammar is wrong, and then you use synonyms (hard to spell) as an example for grammar? Muahaha dont I feel superior now

Good point!
If using the wrong synonym (or homonym) isn't grammar what is it then? Oh Superior one hehe

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
lol ya, I think homonym is what I meant!

Translations are funny
Jeg snakker ikke engelsk = I speak not english
(kinda funny
)

Dont worries Toki, not everyone gets de advantage of superior Scandinavians

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I think grammar is swell, if it dosn't impose on my writing ability.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Ridhya

No worries. I had no idea what to expect from this thread, mostly just for fun and venting a little

p.s. I had to look up homonym - not a commonly used word, eh?

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
As an American speaking to Americans, it is obvious our educational system has stopped teaching both grammar and spelling. Reading some of the posts I see on this and other sites has made that perfectly clear.

It is often very difficult to view as serious the opinions expressed by a poster who not only has no concept of proper use of the English language but also is obviously too lazy to correct spelling when the computer puts the little red line under mis-spelled words!!

It does appear the "dumbing down" has been completed.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Homonym?

I am not sue what homo, and nymphomania have to do with gramma, but I am always keen to learn.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join