It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are There Any Parents Who Will Refuse to Let Their Kids Trick-Or-Treat?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I know back in the 80s there was some fear about razor blades and poison in candy. Turns out those few poisoned children were actually poisoned by their parents. But I can understand the fear people had back then. Not sure if it's still a threat today though.

The other reason would be a deep fear of Halloween and what it means... although most people don't even know what it's about, assuming that they are celebrating a pagan holiday and they are afraid that by Trick-or-treating, somehow they are participating and condoning some sort of non-christian rituals.

Just wondering if there still are parents out there who, out of fear, won't let their kids in on the fun.

[edit on 25-10-2009 by jupiter869]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I agree the threat is still out there and may be more imitate then its ever been. As a parent, safety always comes first, but thats why you go with your child and make sure to check the candy before they touch it.

My children are very small. Ages 2, 3 and 6. So we do not do a lot of trick R treating. We find it more productive to get involved with the town Halloween activities rather than just go out on the streets.

First we hit the local shops at 3pm; They all give out candy, then line up for a kid parade and march down to the local park, where they have free dinner for the kids before they go out along with hay rides. then we might hit one street on the way walking back, but by 5:30 - 6 these little ones are ready to go out for the night.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jupiter869

Well, I for one am not a parent yet, however, I would only let my children trick-or-treat at houses that I know-and-trust i.e. Friends and Trustworthy neighbors. I would also always go trick-or-treating with them (minus the costume lol).

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I shall not let my son go out trick or treating.

It's not because I am afraid for him, as he is bigger than me, and also 25 so if he wants candy, he can buy his own.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Iam NOT taking my kids out this year, for many reasons.
Most of all being that all year I tell them "Don't accept candy from strangers".
I'll not counteract that.
Most of all, they don't NEED candy. It rots their teeth, makes them sick, and I limit their sugar intake, so again..I'd be counteracting...
Once kids find a loophole, they use it for other things.
The other reason is, we live in a new place, a bad place...and I trust nobody with good reason. When even your landlord warns you to keep to yourself because of your neighbors..well...
So my family will be plopped in front of the TV with cheese popcorn watching halloween cartoons.
Better than a trip to the ER.:shk:

top topics

join