It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wanted: info on UB 46, a German u-boat unearthed in coal mine!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I recently saw a picture of the 1992 (I think) excavation of the German U-boat UB-46. Since then I have searched the internet but found nothing on how its remains were unearthed. The photo was in a book on Fortean material and the U-boat was allegedly found in a sand-bank under a coal mine in what is today Turkey. There are two internet sites on everything about UB-46, except on why it was discovored in a very unlikely location. I think the remains are in the Naval Museum in Istanbul. Still, everything begs the unanswered questions.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Here's the museum's page talking about UB-46:

www.dzkk.tsk.tr...

(oops. can't link directly to the page. click on "outdoor exhibitions" on the right. )

Says it was sunk in the Black Sea during WW1.

If it'd been found in a coal mine, you'd think they'd mention it.

[edit on 25-10-2009 by vox2442]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

Yes one would think so. But they don't mention where it was found at all. But that's what happens when something is truly mysterious. Silence.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Google is your friend.

From what I saw, the UB-46 wasn't discovered in a coal mine, but as a result of coal mining operations. That could include mining below the surface of the water, which could reveal the presence of sunken ships.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Found this after some extensive scouring...

After arriving to Constantinople she began to serve at the Black Sea.But,on 7/12/1916 she struck a mine near Kemerburgaz & sunk with the loss of all 21 crew.The bow section was located in September 1993 by a mining firm & identified by Selçuk Kolay.After she was found;she was raised from the sea.The stern section was never found.

Source:
www.wrecksite.eu...

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Thanks for that. Much more than I could ever find! In that case, next time I see the book in our local library I think I will contact the editors. It definately has a black and white photo of men digging in open soil, although it was in a sandback with open coal fileds, rather than deep in a mine. Nevertheless it intriqued me as to how ocean wreckage moves about on land (without a major tsunami). Don't want to flog a dead horse, but the plot also thickens.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
By the number designation I figured this was a type 2.

For what its worth, Wikipedia (one of a few times I will use them as a source because they confirm what I know
)has this to say:

en.wikipedia.org...

As part of a group of six submarines selected for Mediterranean service, UB-46 was broken into railcar sized components and shipped to Pola where she was assembled and launched in May 1916, and commissioned in June.

[edit on 25-10-2009 by felonius because of fat fingeritis]

[edit on 25-10-2009 by felonius]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Go to the U Boat Forum

uboat.net...

Have extensive research on all classes of U Boats from WWI & II

Can query and someone will usually answer

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   

it intriqued me as to how ocean wreckage moves about on land

They are uncovering an ancient seaport in Pisa,Italy near the leaning tower, right now and Pisa is a few miles away from the coast today.

In many countries ocean going vessels sail many miles up rivers to load & unload their cargo. San Francisco Bay area comes to mind for me.

Stockton,Ca is many miles from the coast but ships have access to it from San Francisco bay.

A complete German submarine and a coal mine together?

If you are ever in Chicago check out this place Museum of Science and Industry. They have both you can walk through.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
how weird... i have this book im reading every now and again. I got to this part about a german u boat ub-46 being found in a mine and wondered if there was anything on the net about it. The book is called "The Rough Guide to Unexplained Phenomena" and it has a photo of some men uncovering the remains of the sub! It says;

"...the remains of a german U-boat - identified as UB-46 - that was discovered entombed in a mine, near the village of Akpinar, on the Black Sea Coast."

Now as far as i can find, the sub was destroyed BY a mine, or, found by a MINING company..... but nothing about it actually being found inside a mine.

Is this book just completely wrong? The picture doesnt really give away much... just some men uncovering it.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by creatiive

Oh thank you, thank you, thank you!
That is the same book that I borrowed and haven't been able to track down since.
It is the same UB46 I am referring to in this thread.
I haven't found anything similar or specific on the web.

top topics

join