It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latvia has fallen meteorite

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Another source:

26 October 2009

UFO crashes into Latvia creating massive crater and media frenzy, video

Yesterday a UFO crashed into the Latvian countryside. The event is making headlines in all the Baltic nation’s news outlets. It is assumed that the UFO was probably a meteorite however this has not been confirmed. The incident occurred in the vicinity of the northern town of Mazsalaca near Latvia’s border with Estonia. On Sunday at around 5:30pm the State Fire and Rescue Service received a call alerting them to a fire in field. When they arrived they found a smoking crater 20 meters in diameter and 5 meters in depth (Video below).
The Latvian Radiation Centre and the army took measurements of radiation levels at the site of impact and noted radioactivity at slightly higher than normal levels. Speculation over what6 the object might have been is running hot on Latvian internet forums. While many think the object was probably a meteorite the authorities have suggested that it may have been a space junk. Needless to say the possibility of it being a UFO of alien origin has been raised.

Source: All News Web

[edit on 26-10-2009 by Xbizzy]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Raider of Truth

the crater is 20 meter not the meteorite,if it was we would have a big ass crater

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Hi there - I am from Latvia, I have seen the video and many pictures of the crashing site. We cannot know for sure is it real or not because the experts haven't done research yet.

One expert says that it is man-made crater with some burned chemicals in it (probably sulfur).

The other expert says that it is real meteorite which is approximately in the size of fist. He also said that meteorite passed satellites unnoticed because of it's small size. And the collision was almost vertical so the crater is very circular.

They discovered that it is not radioactive.

I will try to keep you up-to-date, as I can read Latvian news sources.
Cheers!

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by sunspot0

I know as i linked a 25 metre crater as an example for size differences. so it's a big crater for it's size.
asteroid,Space junk, spacecraft parts, probe from the moon, UFO orb?
could be any of those things, it's definately causing a stir no matter what it is.. the MSM will eventually run it.

[edit on 17/05/09 by Raider of Truth]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Hoagland is probably already reporting evidence of an alien craft and that the fire was pulsating at 35hz in a mathematical sequence.

Rense will report that the rock was Zionist and Streibler will report that it was predicted by the key maker. Jones will report the NWO has launched the first volley of attacks.. etc etc

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by psycho13

Wow amazing I probably would have make myself a souvenir..

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
The more I look at it the more suspicious I get, no seismic readings (even from a sonic boom), no country-wide eyewitnesses seeing the asteroid flash-over illuminate the sky (no CCTV footage from the nearby town/city either.)

The crater doesnt look like a impact crater and as I mentioned the second I saw the burning "rock", no meteoric debris is even hot enough to the touch to melt rock like that..you can literally pick up a piece of meteoric rock after its landed and it'll barely be warm, unless it takes a trajectory that'll make it skim the upper atmosphere before impact (even then it'd need to be a large solid mass and survive the airburst, plus the crater would be a splash-dwon crater and not perfectly round as with a near-vertical impact.)

I dont know if anyones been in the crater yet, but these footmarks are tell-tale signs of suspicious activity. foto.delfi.lv...

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

There have been videos/photos of people walking into the crater and soldiers taking readings.

-Sulphur is shown(unknown origin)
- Just above average radiation levels
- Sunk beneath the sand

if it was a hoax then it went well for the hoaxers, i don't see the benefit that they get out of it though.

A latvian poster told us about all that on a post. aswell as the location of the nearest town

[edit on 17/05/09 by Raider of Truth]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigfootNZ
If genuine, that would be one amazing thing to witness. I mean since when has this sort of thing ever happened in the last century? (by that I mean an actual crater, not just an air burst/break up... Tunguska i guess would be the most recent, if in deed it was a meteorite)

My question is.. is this just the first of more to come, i mean this could be simply a small part of a larger collection of debri? Maybe the 26th and onward really does have something in store, most likely not, but hey... its getting interesting.

Or maybe the moons decided to test for water

[edit on 25-10-2009 by BigfootNZ]

In sylacauga, Al one fell on my Aunt's old house after she sold it. It came through the roof and hit the lady sleeping on the couch. She lived. After she sold it Jim Neighbors bought it (Golmer Pyle). They eventually turned it into a drive in movie theater and now it's shut down. I believe it was called comet theater. Anyway look it up. Quite interesting.
en.m.wikipedia.org...(meteorite)?wasRedirected=true

edited to add link

[edit on 26-10-2009 by NEWclearMind]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Police have sealed off the area in order to prevent souveneir collectors from taking the soil.

Now thats the part I dont understand, the "Meteorite" they believe is still embedded within the crater and its not a crime scene, so why should the locals taking away soil be of any concern to them (especially as radiation samples are no more stronger than background levels.)

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Geologist: Mazsalaca "meteorite" in Latvia is man-made

North Vidzeme Biosphere Reserve geologist Dainis Ozols has concluded that the object in Mazsalaca, thought to be a meteorite, is merely smoky ember of chemical elements and the wide crater around it is in fact man-made.

Ozols arrived at the location, where the alleged meteorite had fallen, at 9 a.m. today, as the geologist informed LETA. He established that the 10-12 meters wide depression in land surface was artificially created and afterwards potassium nitrate and sulphur were burned there.

The geologist believes that somebody merely wanted to pull a prank, therefore burned the chemical elements, filmed the scene and spread information about an alleged meteorite having fallen. The crater itself, however, in Ozols' opinion, was created for other purposes. It must have taken a lot of effort to dig it; in case the crater was actually dug by the prankster who burned the chemical elements in it, then he should have tried a bit harder to imitate a blast caused by a meteorite, the geologist said.

The geologist did not take samples of the ember yet because he is now on a two-day excursion with his pupils, however, he does admit that later on he might examine it closer to find out precisely what was burning in the hole.

On the other and, the Latvian Environment, Geology and Meteorology Center's head of geology department Uldis Nulle believes the object that created the crater, actually was a meteorite. He reports from the scene that, as a result of collision with earth surface, the meteorite created an oval hole, approximately 8.5 meters to 9 meters in diameter, it is around three meters deep, as LETA found out from the Environment Ministry's information department.

Additionally, the collision has made the earth surface around the hole go up approximately one meter high. Geologist Nulle says that the signs show evidence of a major impact force. The crater, in its deepest point, has a diameter of approximately one meter, and has dark gray and black sediment, as well as signs of melting substance.

Nulle reports that, according to his estimates, the meteorite his the earth surface almost in straight 90 degrees angle. Furthermore, even over six hours after the collision, a smell of sulfur could be sensed in the vicinity of the hole.

As reported, University of Latvia Astronomy Institute expert Ilgonis Vilks already expressed doubt about the origin of the object claimed to be meteorite. He was surprised finding out about fire burning in the crater, as usually after colliding with earth surface, meteorites explode and their pieces are scattered in various directions.

A group of four experts, two geologists and two astronomers, has departed for Mazsalaca to examine the scene.

Source: www.baltic-course.com

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
How is it going with the economy in Latvia?

It would be one hell of a tourist attraction point is this would be hyped.
Real or not real..neat stuff.

[edit on 26-10-2009 by Solidus Green eye]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
And already the farmer in question is selling tickets to sightseer's for $2 a go.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by sunspot0
reply to post by Raider of Truth

the crater is 20 meter not the meteorite,if it was we would have a big ass crater

?
The crater is 9 meters wide and 3 meters deep.
20 meters? Why? The Dutch news states it's 9 m, not 20.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   
CNN seems to think it's still being called a fallen meteorite:

(CNN) -- A meteorite-like object has created a crater after landing near a farm in northern Latvia, the nation's official news agency reported.

The object fell Sunday in Mazsalaca, leaving a hole of about 65 feet (20 meters) wide and 32 feet (10 meters) deep, Latvian emergency officials told the LETA news agency.

A fire was reported in the grassy area where it landed, but there were no known injuries, LETA said.

Scientists and armed forces from the northern European nation will inspect the crater and conduct an investigation.

Link: www.cnn.com...

Why would someone dig a 32 feet deep hole as a prank? I could see if they were immediately calling it a UFO crash -- that would certainly generate a lot of media coverage, spectators, and tourists.

But a meteorite? Would people really pay to visit a big hole?

I guess I'm just not getting where the pay-off is for the farmer if it was done as a prank.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

OK, the news differs apparently. Strange.
And yes, people would pay, I would. You don't see this every day.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
If anyone is interested in real meteorites just google "Hoba Meteorite" this is the worlds largest known meteorite and is my home country of Namibia.
I have been to see it and it is amazing!
+-60,000Kgs
200 Million Years old
and apparently hit earth +-80,000 years ago

[edit on 26/10/09 by wiser3]

[edit on 26/10/09 by wiser3]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Hi, All

Here are the recent pictures from the scene. If somone can post the pics in the this thread, would be grateful.

Doesn´t look like a 25m hole, but cool pics nontheless

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
All I can say is this is a great find. It is interesting to see for the first time a touch down such as this. In memory of I believe Tales from the CRYPT HOPE THEY DIDNT TOUCH IT, definitely a great post.

[edit on 10/26/09 by Ophiuchus 13]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join