It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officials: 6 Harvard University Medical Researchers Poisoned

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Officials: 6 Harvard University Medical Researchers Poisoned

www.foxnews.com

Six Harvard University medical researchers who became sick in August after drinking coffee were poisoned, according to university officials.

In a memo released Friday, the school says the victims all drank from a coffee machine on Aug. 26 that later tested positive for sodium azide, a common preservative used in labs.

The memo, written by Daniel G. Ennis, executive dean for administration, and Richard M. Shea, associate dean for physical planning and facilities, does not say whether officials believe the poisoning was intentional.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Poison was inside of a coffee machine, and the officials might not think it was intentional??

How does poison accidentally get into coffee?

This happened in August and they are just now admitting that there was poison in the coffee?

Why would someone want to poison coffee at Harvard University? Would someone want to off some medical researchers?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Now they are going to suspect that the terrorists did it. Steal some lethal biological chemical crap and disperse it in the atmosphere.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

The researchers, which include staff and students, all work in the Harvard Medical School's pathology department in its new Boston research building. They were using mice to investigate how diseases interact with the immune system.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that they either found something worthwhile, or were working on something like H1N1.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
or!!!!....this is from some p@ssed-off student who got dissed by them, and decided to get a little pay-back. obviously it wasn't enough to kill them...but i bet they are alot nicer to the other students they encounter in the future. it will make them think twice about how the treat people.

i remember back in the sixties, when someone wanted a little revenge on a @sshole, they melted bars of EX-LAX, (a laxative) into cookies, instead of using chocolate chips. guy would be on the toilet for hours, and/or cleaning up the mess from the floor and his clothes.

aaahhh...the good ole days

[edit on 25-10-2009 by jimmyx]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Because the false flag will most likely be biological warfare and not nuclear like everyone thinks, so the less scientists that there are, then the less questions can be asked.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I don't see any strong indication that the poisoning was deliberate. If it *was* deliberate, it wasn't specifically directed at these six researchers, but at whoever happened to use the coffee machine at the4 time.

*IF* this poisoning was deliberate, then my guess is that it was some animal rights activist or group that did it. These guys were medical researchers working with mice. I suppose it might have been a disgruntled student or cow-orker. They really need to gruntle those cow-orkers. And those aren't typos.

I can just about guarantee that these folks weren't poisoned in order to stop research on some discovery. First, the researchers appear to include students and teachers. Second, you couldn't really ensure that you'd poison the right people by spiking the coffee. Third, the poisoning wasn't fatal; it wasn't even life-threatening. Fourth, the sudden deaths of researchers working on something would be a way to ensure that authorities paid plenty of attention to that research. You'd need to destroy their notes and records, not just kill the researchers. An explosion and fire would be more effective.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Yes this could have been anything for numerous reasons....usually jealously . But the timming is odd and what they were working on could make or break this story.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Let's not go jumping to conclusions here. There isn't enough information here for us to determine what happened. Was the coffee machine a coin operated vending machine or was it a Bunn or Mr. Coffee type machine. Was the coffee contaminated or was it just the cups? I have worked around dangerous chemicals most of my life and it is very easy for something to become contaminated. People have a tendancy to try to take shortcuts and disobey safety regulations. For all we know, somebody needed a container to hold or transport some of this chemical and didn't want to have to walk to a distant supply room and decided to use the coffee pot. They may have intended to wash it out later but forgot to. If some of this chemical became an aerosol or dust, it could have contaminated the coffee cups without anybody knowing. There are too many ways that this could be accidental. Now if the investigation finds this chemical in the coffee supply of a coin operated vending machine or inside of a sealed can of coffee then it may be an attack on an individual or group.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

Ridiculous post.

The single-serve coffee machine was in a common area on the eighth floor of a facility called the New Research Building.

Link.

The communal espresso machine has been removed, and an investigation continues.

Link.

One of the six Harvard researchers sickened has spoken out since falling ill from the poison, determined to be Sodium Azide, saying that he doesn't believe the poisoning was an accident.

According to the AP, the chemical Sodium azide, which is supposed to be colorless and odorless, can explode when shocked or heated, and is used to trigger air bags to inflate upon impact. It can dissolve in some liquids, including water.

Ingestion of the chemical can be fatal.

Link.

Matteo Iannacone, a research fellow who has worked at the 8th floor laboratory of the New Research Building for more than two years, told The Crimson in an interview yesterday that he cannot think of how the chemical, a laboratory preservative called sodium azide, would have accidentally wound up in his and his colleagues’ coffee on Aug. 26.

“I just think it’s very difficult to find an alternative explanation for sodium azide in the water. That’s it,” he said.

Link.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Poisoning the coffee machine?! Now they've gone too far!!!

It said the material in question would explode if heated? Has anyone ever used a coffee machine? They get rather hot, in fact, they work on heat and pressure, wouldn't the material have exploded while they were making the coffee?

Communal coffee areas often have communal milk and sugar as well, maybe it was in something else.

Yeah, I'm sort of really into coffee

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowflux

"It is highly soluble in water."

To ignite, it requires 300°C or other chemicals.

Link.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by loam]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
The conspiracy here is that someone was angry at his collegues. The government would have killed those people in car accidents not with food poisoning. I have heard of food tampering taking place in other labs. It is probably not a good idea to leave food in a refrigerator if your collegues are mad scientists.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by eradown

I agree. Most likely the case.

Still, seems to be quite a dangerous profession.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

We'll find out what the investigation comes up with. There was a local business that had to evacuate their building because of Chlorine gas. Some people said it was an attack on the company because it does business in the Middle East. The investigation found out that somebody was storing Ammonia above the Chlorine used in the company swimming pool. One of the bottles sprung a leak and dripped into the pool chemicals.

top topics

join