It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alleged Koran Burning Sparks Afghan Obama Effigy Torching, Protestors shout “Death to America"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
From the BBC:

There have been protests in the Afghan capital, Kabul, over allegations that foreign troops in the country burnt a copy of the Koran.

Hundreds of Kabul University students led the latest protest, burning an effigy of US President Barack Obama.

The US-led Nato force has denied the claims, saying it has investigated the incident in Wardak province and found the allegations to be groundless.

According to the Timesonline

Diplomats and political analysts suggested that the demonstration was a show of strength designed to make a political point.

“This was not a spontaneous demonstration,” a senior Afghan official said. “Someone wants to show they have the power to bring people on to the street.”

Banners in the crowd read “Down with democracy, long live Islam,” echoing suggestions from President Karzai’s campaign team that a second presidential election, scheduled for November 7, is against the best interests of Afghanistan.

Do you ever get the impression that they just don't want to be occupied any more?

Is Afghanistan going to turn into another Vietnam?

I really feel for coalition troops, God be with them.

From the same website:

Morale dips for American marines in Afghanistan

A mile from South Station, an outpost of US marines in Helmand province, the tribal chief was openly hostile. “The Americans threaten our economy and take our land for bases. They promise much and deliver nothing,” he said.

“People here regard the American troops as occupiers,” said Haji Khan, a leader of the Baluch tribe, who rules like a medieval baron. “Young people are turning against them and in time will fight them.”

“I’m not much for this war. I’m not sure it’s worth all those lives lost,” said Sergeant Christian Richardson as we walked across corn fields that will soon be ploughed up to plant a spring crop of opium poppy.

“We are all brothers here,” said Lance-Corporal Corey Hopkins, 22, from Georgia. “And it hurts to see your brother hurt or put him in a bag for the last time. It pisses you off. It makes you mad. You know people out here know what’s going on, but they won’t tell you.”

Say what you want about the war, my hat goes off to those men and their families.

[edit on 25-10-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Much ado about nothing.

I wonder how many korans get burnt up when insurgents explode their bombs.

I think somebody is just trying to prove a point that they cause turmoil if they are not allowed to be heard.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Ehh , You gotta love how EVERY president gets burned in effigy during some foreign protest. Guess Obama is not any different
"Yawn" So much for the word loves him....

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I wish we would leave.... wasted money in the sand!

How about securing our own Southern Border. We can engage terrorist training camps from the sky. Let Bin Laden come out and "think" he is secure.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13
Ehh , You gotta love how EVERY president gets burned in effigy during some foreign protest. Guess Obama is not any different
"Yawn" So much for the word loves him....

I am so confused.

I thought Obama was a closet muslim who was secretly trying to impose sharia law?

I guess he must be the Anti Christ then ushering in the apocalypse?

Oh that's right, now he is a secret marxist set upon making the US a Communist state.

It's so hard to keep track.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

Did your tin foil hat fall off? It was a thickly sarcastic statement about how the world hates American presidents!

He was gonna get the world to like the US again.

Hell the man won the nobel peace prize
[I found one in Cracker Jacks box!!]

Not much has changed on how the world see's the US and still dislikes the man running it!

[edit on 25-10-2009 by hangedman13]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
It really bothers me whenever these people burn an effigy of any US President, but if this is what it's gonna take for some of the folks to realize that there truly is no way in hell yoou can ever appease the enemy, so be it.

Btw, what I mean by the enemy is Not Fox News

[edit on 25-10-2009 by Alxandro]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Sadly it is par for course. I may be wrong but all that was missing was for the protesters to call Obama the "great satan Charlie Brown"
Some people you can never please.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
See it's all the f***** Nato's fault. It's they the provoke the insurgency. It is they who destroyed their homes and kill and rape their people. For this we have no use for illegal wars since all this are bs.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13

Did your tin foil hat fall off?

That was pretty funny, actually.

I was illustrating the absurdity of the notion of the closet ObamaMuslim and how everyone seems to have forgotten that line of attack now that they have secret MarxistObama to throw around...

I think a more appropriate label would be CorporateGlobalistObama, but the people funding the think-tanks crafting the opinion of some right wing talking heads don't want us thinking about Corporatism. .

Instead, they keep us fighting each other instead.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   

My apologies
We were both being sarcastic!
I must admit, despite my dislike for the man that I was disappointed to hear about this. My hat strap broke so I'm holding it as I type

top topics

join