It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet another nail in the coffin of atheism

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
A tongue in cheek response to
www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.christiantoday.com...

The mission group has joined Christian aid agencies in bringing relief to the regions where an estimated 200,000 people have been displaced and around thousands of homes rendered uninhabitable. Around 220 relief camps have been set up to house the flood victims.

“These people have lost all their livestock, lost their farms, lost their businesses. There is nothing left for them. Just trying to survive is the greatest thing right now,” said Punos.

He remained optimistic, however, about meeting the needs of survivors.
“God has placed us right in the middle where this flooding is taking place, which gives us the greatest opportunity to help.”

Churches are responding to the disaster despite some of them being affected by the flooding, he added.

"A lot of the aid and help that is going out is from the local churches that are right there. Some of our local churches are under water right now, but the pastors and believers are the ones who are doing the greatest aid now,” he said.

“It is always connected back to the local church. We'll be there even after everyone leaves."

Christian Aid agency Tearfund said more than 300 people had died in the flooding and that survivors were facing homelessness and hunger.

“The two southern states are now battling the fury of the worst flood in 100 years,” said Sajeev Bhanja, from Tearfund partner Eficor.

Tearfund said limited international coverage of the floods had hampered fundraising and donations for relief efforts.

Eficor is assembling aid, including food and items like cooking utensils, blankets and bedding, for 10,000 families in the two districts.

Tearfund added that most of those affected by the floods were rural, poor and marginalised people from low castes.

“Our partner's efforts are being supplemented by local churches which are providing practical help where they can as well as making volunteers available,” a spokesperson for the aid agency said.

note: I don't have an agenda, I'm not a christian, I'm just tired of people trying to prove points that are
1. pointless
2. childish
3. not well thought out

give me a break people.

call me a troll for this but I probably wont post much in this tread if a dumb religious argument starts.

[edit on 24-10-2009 by Mr Headshot]

[edit on 25-10-2009 by Mr Headshot]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I don't know how much of a nail in the atheists coffin this actually is but I get your point (I think).
During Katrina it was mainly the Christian organizations that were coordinating relief. ACLU and other "secular" organizations weren't much in the forefront.
But this sort of thing is what Christians are supposed to do so it's all good.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I don't believe you could "kill" atheism.

There could be a god, yet atheism would still thrive.

If you believe that a god exists, yet choose not to "believe" in him, you would still be an atheist. You don't have to reject the idea that there is a god, you could reject believing in said god and still be an atheist.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I think you're missing the point thaloccster.

see the thread called
"yet another nail in the coffin of christianity"

this is a tongue in cheek jab at that person's point.

As I said in my post, if you read it, I don't have an agenda. I don't care about any reliigons living or dying, the only thing I care about is living my way and seeing everything through my eyes. That means I'm not religious, nor am I an atheist.

I just don't like people using horrible arguments to try and discredit an idea.

It's like if someone said

"man cell phones are so bad for you, this guy gouged his mother's eyes out with his cell phone the other day and then used the antenna as a fork to eat them like olives. I'd definately stay away from cell phones."

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
self censorship...

[edit on 10/25/2009 by happygolucky]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   

note: I don't have an agenda, I'm not a christian, I'm just tired of people trying to prove points that are
1. pointless
2. childish
3. not well thought out

I don't understand how any single piece of this post are related to each other. A random news article about Christian humanitarianism is posted, a list of unconnected words are presented, and then you call yourself out on being a troll and ask not to be flamed. Also you state that you won't post in this thread anymore if it becomes a religious debate which it seems you are trying to start. This is the most bizarre form of trolling I have ever seen.

[edit on 25-10-2009 by antithesis.]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by antithesis.

lol I don't care if you flame me mano, do that all you want. I just said I wont engage in a stupid religious debate.

Here I'll edit the OP so it makes a bit more sense, I'm not just randomly making this thread. It's in response to a popular thread in the green area to your right.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
there was ever a first nail in the coffin for atheism?

wait... i was unaware that there was a coffin. huh...

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by antithesis.

Yep. But, somehow I am all amused with this tongue in cheek post. I was actually considering starting a thread to counteract the other thread about the nail in the coffin stuff, which, by the way, I found amusing, too. But, being true to myself, I didn't start the thread.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
read therad mr. kerouac

The point of my argument is to be stupid. It's a tongue in cheek jab at the thread I linked in the OP.

You can't discredtit atheism because christians do good things, you can't discredit christianity because christians do bad things.

Shall I find something bad an atheist has done and discredit all athiests based on this? No, I shant, that would be pretty retarded.

hmmm see the point?

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
but i have a question...

seeing this type of thing somewhat often, dont you think its possible that people are being disillusioned by their faith and leaving it? (not a whole lot mind you, just some here and there)

i think in that sense its putting a nail in the coffin.

i think the argument works poorly against atheism since theres nothing that really ties atheists together.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Yay, another one of these threads. I gotta say the other topic had a ridiculously smug and stupid title, but having to make another thread like it is just another thread for people to argue for the sake of arguing. It's about as rebellious as a 14 year old Killswitch Engage fan getting dropped off at high school by his mum.

I'm thinking of making a thread named "Yet another trendy counterthread".

Actually, it may even be better than the other lacklustre threads I have created.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest

Yeah, the argument is horrible man. Mine is, and so is the argument in the other thread. I don't think you'll ever kill reliigion completely, nor would you want to unless you want a world of robots. The same could be said of killing athiesm, most sane people wouldn't want to do it.

And, Whine Flu, thanks for your input.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

Sure Christianity is helpful now, but if you look at what they did for the first 2000 years after Jesus it was anything but helpful. War, death, suppression of science, torture, etc.

I agree though, those posts are silly, we can all see for ourselves that Christianity isn't even close to dead and won't be anytime soon (judge for yourselves whether that's bad or good)

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Yeah, I mean, it's all up to the person. I don't care about anyone's personal bleiefs. I just can't stand retarded arguments.

btw I love that quote in your sig, what's it from?

[edit on 25-10-2009 by Mr Headshot]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   

i can tell you grasped my point completely.

i mean...all i did was talk about how much i wanted religion to be dead.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest

no no no I mean, the argument I made was terrible. Not yours sir.

I made such a terrible argument to prove a point.

You made a logical, and good, post.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   

oh ok. good. sorry about being snarky.

we cool homie?

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   

I agree, our species would get along better if we stopped arguing over the little things.

I actually made up my signature myself, I was listening to the Space Sounds, its electromagnetic waves that the Voyager and other space missions have recorded and turned into audible sound that is like an eerie music. There are also cultures that believe the Universe began with a musical tone or sound...

You can check out some of the recordings of the sounds Here

and Here

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

That's a spectacular line man. Thanks for those links.

Ya know, off topic as it is, I would believe that in a way. Many, many cultures have believed the universe started with music, or god saying something, or god speaking his name.

Sounds pretty mythical until you start to look at cymatics and you start to see that maybe, just maybe, the universe did start with some sort of sound wave.

Of course, that's complete speculation on my part, but it's so poetic.

and @kerouac (i don't feel like typing the name out lol)

indeed we are

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join