It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Journalists Shouldn't be Defending Fox News

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Source

The Obama administration's recent characterization of Fox News is a long overdue acknowledgment of the obvious: Fox News is not a legitimate news organization -- indeed, after many years of serving as the research and messaging wing of the Republican Party, it has now gone beyond even that, to become the electronic evangelist of an ultra-partisan and non-reality-based world view.

Fox News has, as my colleague Jason Linkins so effectively wrote earlier this week, well and truly left the fold of legitimate news outlets. The evidence is exhaustive. If you actually watch the network, it's not a close question. Indeed, as Josh Marshall writes, "as a product the straight news is almost more the stuff of parody than the talk shows which are at least more or less straightforward about what they are."

Pretending that Fox News is fair and balanced only serves the right wing, in the same way that it only served the Bush administration when traditional-media reporters pretended Bush didn't have a credibility problem -- and didn't call him out for his lies -- for fear of appearing partisan. It's self-muzzling, plain and simple.

One of the startling shifts in the last decade has been how so many of the most important policy issues of our time have become matters not of honest political debate, but of competing realities (only one of which, mind you, is supported by facts.) During the Bush years, whether it was related to Iraqi weapons of mass destruction, progress in Iraq, torture, or tax cuts for the rich, Bush and his acolytes operated in their own fictional world -- with the traditional media only rarely issuing a reality check.

A good article, I agree, journalists shouldn't be defending Fox News. The degree is just too far in my opinion.

The problem starts here. Court Rules: News Media Can Lie

Fox abuses the freedom of speech, odd since it positions itself as a conservative entity.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

You do realize that if Fox News was gone, there would be only predominantly liberal news outlets on television?

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Considering that your source is the uber-liberal huffington post, I can see why they chose the title. How in the world can Fox be any worse than CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC yada, yada, yada.

I can't stand it when hypocrites get on their soapbox.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Good non-biased 'news' source you got there.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by honkusbobo

I know, if only there's an alternative. Besides, Fox Broadcasting Company isn't exactly a conservative network you know, probably the most liberal of them all.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by soldiermom
I can't stand it when hypocrites get on their soapbox.

If you want to talk about hypocrisy, Fox News should attack its own boss Rupert Murdoch for helping the chinese communist setting up their television network. Let alone the raunchy stuff that Fox Broadcasting airs.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Seems like the viewers are the ones defending foxnews.

Fox News has pulled off another dominant quarter, claiming the top 10 cable news programs in 3Q 2009 and growing against 3Q 2008, while CNN and MSNBC lost substantial portions of their election-boom audience.

Fox News averaged 2.25 million total viewers in prime time for the third quarter, up 2% over the previous year. That's more than CNN (946,000, down 30%) and MSNBC (788,000, down 10%) combined.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

It's all about the ratings.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II

Good non-biased 'news' source you got there.

In this case they're right. Besides, shouldn't conservatives have a better standard than the liberals. I thought the conservatives are the one who feel that they have the better values. A lot of times I think the conservatives are actually worse than the liberals.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Liberal?? How do you figure?

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Seems like the viewers are the ones defending foxnews.

It's all about the ratings.

It's true, Fox is good at playing with americans sentiment (and they're falling for it), the patriotic stuff, the defending christian traditional value. O reilly is not even 100% sure that Jesus is God.

Fox News is tabloid stuff you know, and people are loving it.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by honkusbobo

Liberal?? How do you figure?

Justice Dept. Sues Fox Over Raunchy Reality Show

Latest round in indecency battle

The Justice Department has stepped in to force Fox to pay up $56,000 in indecency fines levied by the FCC but challenged by the broadcaster, Variety reports. Eight Fox-owned stations are being sued to collect fines for a 2003 episode of "Married by America" that featured men at a bachelor party licking whipped cream off topless strippers.

Fox Claims Nudity is Not Indecent

The Parents Television Council criticized Fox for filing a motion to dismiss the indecent “Married by America” episode that featured repeated scenes of wild sex parties including nudity and graphic sexual activity. The FCC fined Fox for this episode that aired on April 7, 2003.

Boooooo Fox.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Point 1 - You are from Indonesia so why the hell do you even care?

Point 2 - The article you soured didn't site any examples of this behavior by fox, they just whined about.

Point 3- You sourced the huffington post, the most liberal bunch of journalists ever to give jazz hands after each article they produce.

[edit on 25-10-2009 by BigBirdsBird]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Libertine and liberal are two entirely different things. Libertine refers to moral beliefs, liberal refers to political ones.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   

What in the hell does a Fox station showing regular TV shows have anything to do with the credibility of fox news?

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by BigBirdsBird

I thought we're discussing things like that here in ATS, am I not allowed to?

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   

And you don't find that odd. That FBC is very raunchy but Fox News is conservative. Or Rupert has ties with the chinese communists. There could be a conspiracy there.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Obviously you can do whatever you want, but I don't see how anyone can give your point of view much value since you are not from here and US politics don't directly affect you as much as a US Citizen, but maybe you feel like a kindered spirit to Obama since he spent part of his life there.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Nobody's disputing whether or not you can write what you did just whether or not it's particularly relevant.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzyguy

And you don't find that odd. That FBC is very raunchy but Fox News is conservative. Or Rupert has ties with the chinese communists. There could be a conspiracy there.

No I do not find it odd. Has some stripper getting whip cream licked of her body ever really harmed society? Personally, I am conservative and I am also pro whip cream covered stripper too.

Saying Rupert has ties with Chinese communists is like saying so does the CEO of Walmart and every other corp in the world that likes cheap, efficient labor and a country that will support their business goals far more than any western country.

I guess using your logic you could say Michael Dell is a budhist because he uses a bunch of Indians for tech support calls.

From my point of view you are actually hurting Obama, because you are just playing into the stereotype of the typical irriational liberal who will use any kind of horse dung to try to demonize anyone who doesn't by the Progressive agenda hook, line, and sinker.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigBirdsBird

Obviously you can do whatever you want, but I don't see how anyone can give your point of view much value since you are not from here and US politics don't directly affect you as much as a US Citizen, but maybe you feel like a kindered spirit to Obama since he spent part of his life there.

Originally posted by honkusbobo

Nobody's disputing whether or not you can write what you did just whether or not it's particularly relevant.

Oh, no no, you're all misunderstood. This is all about my curiosity about the american conservatism, it's not relevant with my life in this country at all.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join