It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus was an ultra liberal to say the least, so why are evangelicals not ultra liberals?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I touched on this in a post and thought it deserved it's own thread because it is truly perplexing. Jesus (on the assumption he existed) is quite possibly THE most "liberal" person to ever walk the Earth.

from this site: www.jesusisaliberal.org...

Biblical Quotes Supporting the Belief that Jesus Is A Liberal

Peacemaking, not War Making: Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. [Matthew 5:9] Resist
not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. [Matthew 5:39] I say unto you, Love your
enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despite-fully use you, and persecute
you; [Matthew 5:44]

The Death Penalty: Thou shalt not kill [Matthew 5:21]

Crime and Punishment: If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to cast a stone at her. [John 8:7] Do not judge, lest
you too be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to
you. [Matthew 7:1 & 2.]

Justice: Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. [Matthew 5:6] Blessed are the
merciful: for they shall obtain mercy [Matthew 5:7] But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your
trespasses. [Matthew 6:15]

Corporate Greed and the Religion of Wealth: In the temple courts [Jesus] found men selling cattle, sheep and doves and other
sitting at tables exchanging money. So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple area, both sheep and cattle;
he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. [John 2:14 & 15.] Watch out! Be on your guard against
all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions. [Luke 12.15.] Truly, I say unto you, it will
be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. [Matthew 19:23] You cannot serve both God and Money. [Matthew 6:24.]

Paying Taxes & Separation of Church & State: Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the
things that are God's. [Matthew 22:21]

Community: Love your neighbor as yourself. .[Matthew 22:39] So in everything, do to others as you would have them do to you.
[Matthew 7:12.] If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven.
[Matthew 19:21]

Equality & Social Programs: But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed,
because they cannot repay you. You will be repaid at the resurrection of the just. [Luke 14:13 &14.]

Public Prayer & Displays of Faith: And when thou pray, thou shall not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in
the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
But thou, when thou pray, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret…
[Matthew 6:6 & 7]

Strict Enforcement of Religious Laws: If any of you has a son or a sheep and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will you not take
hold of it and lift it out? [Matthew 12:11] The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath. [Mark 2:27.]

Individuality & Personal Spiritual Experience: Ye are the light of the world. [Matthew 5:14]

I know many evangelicals and can say with much confidence that they practically do the opposite of the teaching of Jesus. Such wild contradiction leads one to believe there is a mental disorder at hand.

Another interesting read: www.right-wing-pseudo-christians.com...

So to all the conservative christians on ATS, do you not see a complete hypocrisy involving the rabid hatred towards the Liberal agenda including the Christ agenda? It seems that if anything, evangelicals would be extremely liberal.. fighting for peace, fighting for the poor, fighting for public health care, fighting for human rights and freedoms, fighting against corporations yet it is the exact opposite. How did this become so twisted and distorted? How can you continue to ignore this?

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by reasonable

Careful...don't rock the boat like Jesus did.

After all, look what the religious folk did to that wine drinking whore loven hippie.

Him and his cousin John were both weirdo's.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
If you read the story about Jesus, you'll see that he really had a beef with only one kind of person. Not the sinners - he hung around with whores, thieves, and even tax collectors. Not sick people - he healed those. Not people oppressed or possessed by demons - he delivered those folks. No, his beef was with arrogant religious people, the "holier than thou" types, the "religious right" of his time.

Now the religious right has tried to speak in the name of Jesus, while defying everything Jesus taught and stood for. They are now the ones Jesus would be objecting to. They use the name of Jesus, claim his name, but they don't have either the power or the authority of Jesus. They try to impose their own morality and rules on people, while claiming that Jesus taught such things. Anyone who reads the Bible can see that Jesus taught no such thing. Unfortunately, too many people listen to these noisy, angry "authorities", and don't do their own reading and thinking. As long as so many people are content to let others tell them what to do, these false leaders are going to be able to confuse and mislead people.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I don't think Jesus would affiliate himself with any political party or Government, these aren't liberal things... I mean where does he say "Tax the rich more than the poor" or "If a child is conceived unintentionally, kill it" or "Don't burn too many fires or else you'll cause global warming" see my point?

Also you forget that a lot of Liberal presidents started wars, Wilson, F. Roosevelt, Truman, JFK & Johnson, Clinton. So Liberals are guilty with wars just as much as conservatives. Also you have Christians who are liberal too.

It's funny the Jews thought their messiah was going to be a great leader and defeat the Romans, but he didn't obviously. He came taught us important lessons, that we really haven't been following for the most part. He didn't get involved in politics/government. I think it's something us humans have to figure out on our own. Maybe there isn't one perfect system?

[edit on 24-10-2009 by asmall89]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Jesus did not partake in politics. He chose not to. So trying to classify him as anything is to truly mis-identify him.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   

You are 100% right Reasonable. If one does things that are opposite to what "Jesus" teaches, then one is definitely anti-Jesus. In essence one would be anti-Christ! Look at the apologists response to your post, saying that Jesus would not belong to a political party. Liberalism is the way one looks at the world. It has nothing to do with political parties. "Jesus's" teachings can only be described as liberal. I bet if he had pushed warmongering and greed they would claim him as a Republican! But since he endorses non-violence guess what? He suddenly is non political. The hypocrisy of conservatives
know no bounds!

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ameneter

You are 100% right Reasonable. If one does things that are opposite to what "Jesus" teaches, then one is definitely anti-Jesus. In essence one would be anti-Christ! Look at the apologists response to your post, saying that Jesus would not belong to a political party. Liberalism is the way one looks at the world. It has nothing to do with political parties. "Jesus's" teachings can only be described as liberal. I bet if he had pushed warmongering and greed they would claim him as a Republican! But since he endorses non-violence guess what? He suddenly is non political. The hypocrisy of conservatives
know no bounds!

well said.. I think we'll see a starfest among the apologists in this thread.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I usually don't reply to these threads out of not wanting that much drama in posts, but I hafta say, that is some pretty convincing stuff right there.

It never came to mind to classify religious folk with some sort of political agenda, but according to what I am reading and thinking back to my roman catholic upbringing, you are very correct.

Jesus a Liberal eh? I guess I am a bit more christian than I thought lol.

Well perhaps not, I am a Libertarian, how much of that do you think Jesus was?

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Why do people insist on painting all Christians with the same broad brush.

That's like saying all Indians live in mud huts. Or, all Mexicans are no good.

That would also mean all policemen are cruel. Or gay people molest children.

If we could get past the religious contempt and racial issues we just might be able to straighten our country out.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
ive been on this site for 4 years and this is the best post of all time. well check with me after the 25th.....but how can the right claim to be Christians and not follow Christ and his teachings, check out Gen 1:29 "And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat". FOR MEAT.......and the previous examples given earlier........and this is coming from someone whos father is a pastor and grandfather was also... i saw the hypocrisy early....and went my own way. GREAT POST

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
The Christ consciousness is forward moving ! Again trappings of dualism ! Let go ! Follow with utmost sincerity This great teacher who leads us into our
greater self ! liberal ? At what moment ? You there ? Where are you now ?
To many people group together and stand looking and are afraid to jump in !
Christ leads us to our Father ! GOD ! Describe it anyway you like ! inch forward jump forward but move ! GOD doesn't judge ! He is LOVE and the
light we all share in ! Forgive yourself,Love yourself and grow !

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by trueset
The Christ consciousness is forward moving ! Again trappings of dualism ! Let go ! Follow with utmost sincerity This great teacher who leads us into our
greater self ! liberal ? At what moment ? You there ? Where are you now ?
To many people group together and stand looking and are afraid to jump in !
Christ leads us to our Father ! GOD ! Describe it anyway you like ! inch forward jump forward but move ! GOD doesn't judge ! He is LOVE and the
light we all share in ! Forgive yourself,Love yourself and grow !

So out of curiosity did you vote Bush and McCain/Palin?

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

But what about Christ position regarding abortion. I think it's key don't you think?
So, no, not necessarily 100%.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzyguy

But what about Christ position regarding abortion. I think it's key don't you think?

Can you elaborate? what is his position?

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
HAHA ! What does it really matter ? I will admit that I did feel a strong tug

on my heart strings when Sarah Palin was first announced !

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by reasonable

That's the problem, no one knows, hence it's not necessarily 100%.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

That's the problem, no one knows, hence it's not necessarily 100%.

Then why do evangelicals assume it is an abomination unto the lord to destroy 8 cells in a petri dish?

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
AS you grow in consciousness abortion would be as impossible to commit as
making love without love.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Unless I'm wrong the thing Christians were against Stem Cell Research because they used embryos for said research, Embryos are/create humans (depending on your definition of human life). Now we don't need embryos or conception to study stem cells so there for there isn't a problem, at least I don't think there should be. Again I restate that Jesus would probably not affiliate himself with any political stance.
Also I forgot to mention, where does it say in the Republican stance that they like war, where does it say that Democrats hate war?

As far as I'm concerned JFK & Johnson escalated the Vietnam War and Nixon ended it, am I right?

Truman started Korean War.

Reagan Iran Contra, Lebanon & Grenada, & Libya.

Bush Sr. started & ended the Gulf War, and Clinton continued the weekly bombings on Iraq, plus did some bombings in Bosnia, Yugoslavia, Sudan etc.

Bush Jr. Started the Afghanistan and Iraq Wars and Obama hasn't ended them yet, actually he has bombed Pakistan too.

Seems like our history is full of war mongers regardless of party/religion, no?

[edit on 24-10-2009 by asmall89]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Then why do evangelicals assume it is an abomination unto the lord to destroy 8 cells in a petri dish?

Perhaps because they believe Christ treasure human life even though it's in a very early stage, since humans are made in God's image. I'm talking about embryos here not the 8 cells in a petri dish.

As precisely why the 8 cells is also off limit, I don't know, maybe they fear humans playing God, treating human seed with disrespect. Maybe.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join