It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

new film "The Fourth Kind" - disinformation?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
DISCLAIMER 1: This is not a thread about how good the movie looks, or how hot Milla Jovovich is.

DISCLAIMER 2: I don't want to hear anything about how great it is that this movie has 'real archived' footage, because it doesn't. Anyone who really believes that footage shown in the trailer is real needs to get their eyes checked. It may be based on real 'events' (obviously I recognize that abductions have happened) but that doesn't mean the footage you see is legitimate.

DISCLAIMER 3: This is not a debate whether ETs are 100% benevolent or not. As far as my knowledge and research goes, I do not believe in malevolent extra terrestrials. It's been proven to me that those negative abduction experiences are and have to be - government controlled MILABS. (if you don't know what that is by now, go search up on it and come back to this thread. But basically, they involve frightening experiences with beings that are NOT from outer space.)

DISCLAIMER 4: I know there is already a topic on this movie, but I want this thread to be different - and about a very particular discussion, as you can see from my previous disclaimers.

So, on to the topic of discussion. The trailer depicts obviously a story revolving around very negative abduction experiences. I really hope this isn't just some horror movie that will end up inducing fear of ETs into the minds of movie goers. That being said, it's also possible this movie will go in a totally different direction, to end up having a surprise twist that will actually clarify the government's involvement with the negative abductions, and how unrelated they are from actual ETs. That would be quite an enlightening thing to show in a hollywood movie.

To sum that last paragraph up, this movie could go both ways. I hope the writer/director actually did their research free of mainstream sources because this movie has the potential to be really eye opening. However there's a huge possibility (since it's clearly a horror film) that it will depict ETs as evil and harmful. This is just not good. We need LESS hollywood movies doing this.

"A remarkable movie that boggles the mind and changes your opinion on UFOs."

-Larry King (Larry King Live)

If this film is going to be as profound as to 'change people's opinions on UFOs', I SURE AS HELL HOPE that it's for the better. But since this movie is backed with supposed actual events that appear to be extremely frightening and harmful, it also has the power to induce a heavy subconscious fear of aliens in movie-goers.
When the Blair Witch Project came out it was extremely well done (considering the budget and concept) and innovative for it's time. Not to mention it succeeded in scaring half the country into ever going into the woods again. I know every kid my age was petrified of the woods. These are the kinds of subconscious fears the movies can instill in our minds. For people who don't know right from wrong regarding UFOs, 'The Fourth Kind' could be pretty detrimental for the time being.

I hope I'm not sounding outlandish with this post, but ever since I first saw the trailer I keep saying to myself "this better not be yet ANOTHER disinformation film". And like I said, it could go both ways. Let's hope it goes the right way. I'm definitely going to see it because I'm curious as to see what either 'garbage' or 'gold' these filmmakers have created.

Please, discuss this with me.

[edit on 24-10-2009 by drac88]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Well, I'm just going to throw it out there that some of the footage from the trailer looks a heck of a lot more like a "possession" than an abduction and that really confuses me if people are going to think demonic possession (never mind if it's real or not) is what happens when you're "abducted". Seems weird to me. Of course, it is Hollywood, so...

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
After watching the movie trailer on youtube and reading a little more info about this movie on wiki it looks like this movie is focusing on grey-type alien abductions, nothing regarding the government.

From wiki:

Using never-before-seen archival footage that is integrated into the film, The Fourth Kind exposes the terrified revelations of multiple witnesses. Their accounts of being visited by alien figures all share disturbingly identical details, the validity of which is investigated throughout the film. Background of the Thriller:

In October 2004, filmmaker Olatunde Osunsami had wrapped principal photography on his thriller The Cavern and traveled to North Carolina for postproduction. While there, a chance dinner conversation sparked an interest that would change his life, and beliefs, forever.

A colleague told him of a psychologist living in the Carolinas who relocated from a remote town along the Bering Sea. In Alaska, she had conducted a sleep disorder study that revealed terrifying data. What he heard frightened Osunsami...all the more because it was heavily documented. Through his contact, he tracked her down. After some reluctance, she shared her story.

In Fall 2000, the therapist’s patients, under hypnosis, exhibited behaviors that suggested encounters with non humans. Before sleep, every person recalled a white owl outside his or her window. They woke up paralyzed, hearing horrific noises from beyond their doors just before an unknown assailant pulled them screaming from their rooms. Subsequent memories went dark.

As the doctor investigated the phenomenon, she discovered a history of missing people and bizarre activity from the region, dating back to the 1960s. The more she dug, the more she believed the unbelievable: Her patients’ stories were not false memories, but comprehensive evidence of alien abductions.

Anything related to actual abduction accounts has my attention, I'll see it. As for your opinion about malevolent alien abductions, if you believe the "treaty" between our government and aliens giving them the "right" to abduct people in return for technological advancement then any abduction would be government related or sanctioned. I don't believe all ETs are benevolent, however. It make sense that, like humans, there are good and bad.

One ATS MILAB thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

(I need to read up on the MILAB topic, I haven't researched that yet.)

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Thats what I thought, whoops water on the comp desk!

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Well you are right about claiming to be real - like that paranormal activity movie out right now that is passing off as 'real footage' when its just hollywood with a cheap camera! Blair witch best example, but not subconscious conditioning like you said, very overt! It is the feeling of realism that make you scared.

I can tell you it is not disinformation, because the bird thing and 3:33 both happened to me!! so I was SO excited and scared when someone on here messaged me this trailer. Playing it off as real just makes people more interested... if I recall though Milla even says in it that it is BASED and NOT actual footage. ( I also dont get why everyone thinks she is hot, is that just me..?)

What I thought was disinformation was the part where he goes 'they're speaking SUmmerian' that seemed tacked on. I mean it lines up with the 2012 movie oh-so-perfectly, anyone know if they are the same production company?

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Orion65

Yeah, clearly you haven't researched it yet because if you did you'd know that they have absolutely NOTHING to do with actual grey aliens. MILABS use very sophisticated psychotronic and radionic technologies to simulate an abduction experience. What goes on during these abductions has nothing to do with aliens although it may seem like it does. The mind is manipulated to see what appears to be alien beings. For all we know they could be anamatronic or even guys in suits. It sounds outrageous, but these are MILABS. They are a reality.

When you say there can be 'good and bad', you really have no reason to apply that to the word ET. You can say there are good and bad 'beings' here, but abductions from actual outer space ETs have NEVER been harmful. They have occured, but they're definitely NOT what's being depicted in this movie.
For those who are able distinguish the difference between the two types of phenomenon going on here, they will see this as true.

Don't take my tone personally. I 100% appreciate your participation in this discussion.

reply to post by Ridhya

Good points. The business about hearing the Sumerian language is a good example. However that is one of the things about the trailer that led me to believe this movie may not be what it seems. We'll just have to wait a week and see for ourselves. Then we can come back to this thread and really have something to talk about.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by mkross1983
Well, I'm just going to throw it out there that some of the footage from the trailer looks a heck of a lot more like a "possession" than an abduction and that really confuses me if people are going to think demonic possession (never mind if it's real or not) is what happens when you're "abducted". Seems weird to me. Of course, it is Hollywood, so...

There's plenty of paranormal phenomena involved in abduction reports and investigations. Electronic voice phenomena, poltergeist activity, and other things associated with hauntings or posession often occur with abduction cases.

That said I think the film is based on material from investigations by John Keel, Jacques Vallee and various hypnotic regressions but has nothing to do with any real cases involving Nome, Alaska or any actual footage of hypnotic regressions.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I wouldn't say disinformation as much as portraying extraterrestrials in a creepy negative way which I don't like. And it doesn't help disclosure efforts. I wish they'd make a UFO/ET related movie that was more factual rather than sensational.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by drac88

I won't take your snippy tone personally, don't worry.

I wrote that after reading wiki the movie is about what looks to be grey alien abductions, not what I personally think.

As for this movie, these types of abductions may be MILAB or maybe not. Unless you were there you really don't know for sure, do you? Nor do I.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ufo reality

The vast majority of abduction reports portray the beings in a negative and creepy way. Psychological and physical torture aren't exactly what I call positive things. People exhibiting Stockholm syndrome and post traumatic stress disorder arn't very positive either.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I think this movie is disinformation and detrimental to hopes of full and open disclosure but that said I do not believe that all extraterrestrial visitations are benevolent either.

I have read about the human mutilations and the often deadly attacks on people as they hunt in the forests of South America (chupa).

I want to believe all the visitors are friendly but some accounts I have read seem to indicate that some visitors are not only indifferent but that they are outright contemptuous and often lethal to human life.

The mainstream news won’t touch the subject with a barge pole and the chupa stories were frightening to say the least as they seem to regard us as a food source.

More investigations into this chupa phenomenon should be initiated but instead it is smoke and mirrors, disinformation and outright lies. Those in the know and keeping the information under wraps make me sick to my stomach. Are they even human to do such a thing?
I think the least of my worries should be an anal probing session if I happened to meet some of the malevolent types of ET.

If I knew I was to be treated like a cow I would wish to fight (too late by that point I would think) or end my life as quickly as possible because one human mutilation account I read seemed to indicate that the poor man was conscious during the procedure and died during the procedure. The most horrific of deaths imaginable - and I’ve imagined them all.

What would be a precursor to being treated like a bovine, Violence or paralysis or both? It is depressing to realise that a personal contact with an extraterrestrial would have to hinge at some level on trust.

I find it difficult to trust humans so how am I supposed to trust an extraterrestrial not to say honeyed words while preparing me for a terrible death while helpless but conscious?

That said I still watch the skies and I still hill trek on my own for days at a time with my dog because the chances of ending up cored out up to my colon is still worth the risk of my own close encounter one day. I am confident one day it will happen but the concern is there.

I wanted to write much more but I am exhausted after a painful session at the gym and so bed calls, g'night.

Starred and flagged because you put into writing what I had been thinking (more or less).

[edit on 24-10-2009 by SmokeJaguar67]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

It depends somewhat on the abductee, there are light years of difference in culture and intelligence between the abducting alien and the human abductee.

I'm not saying everyone that experiences an abduction is schizophrenic, I just think that in many cases it is the struggle of the person being abducted trying to control a situation they are totally incapable of comprehending that causes the injuries.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by drac88
For people who don't know right from wrong regarding UFOs, 'The Fourth Kind' could be pretty detrimental for the time being.

If you're worried about the public's perception of the UFO phenomena because of movies, aren't you a bit late? Even the specific subject of abductions have been depicted in movies and TV shows in the past, most of them in a negative way.

Please, discuss this with me.

Personally I don't think there's any disinformation, or even conspiracy here. I believe it was Frank Spotnitz who said he would frequently look up stories and conspiracy theories online to get ideas for his shows.

It seems to me that many other writers do that. That would also help explain why this influx of conspiracy and paranormal related movies (Fourth Kind, Knowing, Paranormal Activity, 2012, and so on), since these are widely popular topics online right now.

[edit on 24-10-2009 by converge]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
or.....could it ignite disclosure>????

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by fromunclexcommunicate

Humans understand assualt, kidnapping and being held against their will quite well. Saying the beings have different cultures or intelligence doesn't excuse their actions anymore than it excuses human serial killers and rapists. A violation is a violation no matter who or what is doing it.

The idea that they are somehow smarter makes them look even worse, when they should know what behavior results in trauma. Humans at zoos and parks have far more respect and understanding in how to not traumatize an animal when they tag them or treat them. These things on the other hand seem to actively desire to produce trauma in the individual.

[edit on 24/10/09 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by drac88

I studied the production before responding.

Definitely NOT disinformation.

Just another H'wood movie. Big budget, big stars, BIG locations = entertainment.

I predict it will earn 2, maybe 2-1/2 stars. Not academy award material.

I'll wait until it comes to cable to watch it then if I tape it I can fast forward the boring sections, maybe the whole movie!

[edit on 24-10-2009 by Skeptical Ed]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I guess I should've added a 5th Disclaimer.

DISCLAIMER 5: When I say this film may be 'disinformation' I fully acknowledge that the creators are doing it innocently and with no intention of anything more than making an interesting film. I'm not trying to argue any conspiracies there, there really is nothing to argue. People do it without knowing what they're even doing - Innocently.

All I wanted to discuss is the current situation regarding the public's view and how it's subconscious is being set up for fear from a subject where no fear has been proven to even attribute to.

Yes, Skeptical Ed I know it's a hollywood movie and what I mean by disinformation, clearly refers to that which is 'accidental' and innocent.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Hi all, I just wanted to add my two cents. I have had CE4's my whole life. I know that that is a bit of a bold statement and one that requires some explaining, so instead of weighing my post down with my Close Encounter history, here is a link to my website www.aliendoodles.com.

I just wanted to say that from what I have seen of the trailers for this movie, that they seem to have done an extremely good job of capturing and displaying the fear associated with the phenomena.
The movie seems to portray the first few minutes of any of my own abductions incredibly well. At the start of nearly all of my abductions I wake up completely paralyzed. My room is usually filled with bright/blinding strobeing light. Usually my head is also filled with a high frequency, deafening sound and I am usually accompanied by small fast moving wraith like creatures. This experience is always incredibly terrifying in fact as the movie suggests, you could describe it as horrifically traumatic. I am pretty sure that the movie is also likely to completely miss the other side of the experience, the positive side. The increased psychic awareness, the glimpses at another reality and the knowledge that we are not the only form of sentience in the Universe.
There is more to this experience than fear and pain, but if the movie does a good job giving folk a glimpse into the harder side of this experience then it has achieved something good.

Watch the movie and then imagine how difficult it would be to keep something like this a secret from your friends and family. Alternatively, imagine going through something like this and seeking help, only to receive ridicule and insults. It isn't easy being exposed to this experience (possibly the understatement of the century) and if this movie gives folk a glimpse into the difficulties, then I think that it is definitely a good thing.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
movies.yahoo.com...

How Real Is 'The Fourth Kind'?

"The movie promises that the scenes were all recreated from "archival footage." Except. Actual Nome residents say they've never heard of any alien abductions. And the Anchorage Daily News does a pretty good job debunking the story (including the observation that no psychiatrist exists by that name.) The accounts of alien abductions are said to explain an unusually high death and disappearance rate. The FBI blamed alcoholism. Locals said it was a serial killer. Nobody seems to blame aliens."

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Is it disinformation?

I find it a little more than coincidental that the new remake of the movie "V" visitors is coming out on ABC Nov 3rd and this movie is being released Nov 6th.

Both about Aliens
1. Human Like (visitors) "V"
2. Supernaturally Terrifying big black eyes "the 4th kind"

V speaks about having Ultimate Healthcare for all humans. Sound familiar?

Nahhh...they time these things. It isnt coincidence. Youd be blind to say it was.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join