It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Royal Navy surrendering one of its aircraft carriers!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Well this is what happens when you have a corrupt govt more interested in lining their own pockets than the running of a supposed 1st world nation.

Our country is all but broke, we have no empire to sell off, we have very little gold to sell off, with have very little govt infrastructure to sell off.

Will the last person in blighty please turn out the lights, maybe before the power grid fails through lack of investment.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
It's a shame that the Royal Navy is now becoming an abandoned interest by our political leaders, since it is our first line of defense in what has now been for the past couple of decades a relatively peaceful Europe.

What is even worse is that even if the original number of carriers and destroyers were delivered as stated before, then as a modern navy facing another modern navy, they would be sitting ducks against the Germans newly built U-Boats.

I'm confident any naval battle fleet facing a pack of these U-Boats would meet certain defeat.

Nuclear power, steam/gas turbine and diesel is out dated for a modern Navy and are also economically expensive. I don't know the exact coast of Hydrogen power used on a military platform, but I could imagine the overall cost would be much cheaper when it comes to maintenance.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I've just had a brilliant idea!

How about we Brits pull out of the JSF?

If we were to do that, we could upgrade the Harrier fleet, give them a second engine, bigger fuselarge, bigger wings.

We could also upgrade the avionics, nav and weapon packs and that should see us through to the mid 50's.

Other than that, we could purchase Rafael or Hornets. Both are off the shelf and both proven.

That way we could keep our second carrier, create lots of jobs and get the Royal Navy back to sea!

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
We are going to see more and more of this in allied countries not just the UK. Having a powerful military is getting more and more expensive and at the same time countries are realizing that buying these weapons is lining the pockets of the military industrial complex. So they see in a sense that not purchasing and playing into the game they are actually serving there self interests better. Also i foresee a lot more reliance on the US military as a loaner. Who knows this could be a good thing, maybe not.

Only time will tell i suppose. Cheers.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join