It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's Largest Pyramid Discovered @ Lost Mayan City Of Mirador Guatemala

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Matyas

Yeah, ancient civilizations are fascinating.

There is a direct correlation between ancient megalithic sites and astronomical observatories for the purpose of measuring the motions of the Earth (calendar system). All weights and measures are related to time and accelerations so of coarse these are effected (relativity).

The questions I have pertain to the complexity in which the ancients measured celestial motions. Learning about the Maya calendar round has inspired me to understand orbital mechanics and precessional cycles. In the attempt to verify what I have read about these ancient calendars I have learned much about these celestial cycles and the information hints and yet to be discovered motions. There is much yet to learn from the ancients.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

I think what they said was that it is bigger than downtown los angeles.

Not greater Los Angeles.
Splitting hairs, I know, but maybe that gives a better idea of the size.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by xynephadyn
There is nothing to be discovered anymore in this world, except maybe in Antartica.

I firmly have to disagree with your statement here... I stood in Peruvian cloud forest for example, in Chachapoyas, where the beautiful pre-inca fortress Kuelap was excavated. Once you enter the forests around the area, you find area's full of houses and walls underneath the plants, trees and earth... Hardly any of them had been explored yet around that time (2005) and they didn't plan to back then also, 'cause there wasn't enough money for it. There sure is more to be found in that specific area at least...

And there are many corners in this world that still hide archaeological secrets (Sahara, Gobi Desert, Himalaya's, The Amazon, our oceans, your backyard ...) Just as biologists still discover new fauna and flora each and every year, physicists new laws and philosophers new theories

We are nowhere near the point we found every ancient ruin on this planet.

Another example: just a couple of months ago Bluehenge was discovered, a couple of kilometers from Stonehenge - which isn't located in a remote, inhospitable part of the Earth either... Significant discoveries still happen, also in archaeology... rather often, almost.

And of course, most of the time findings like this pyramid are done years before we hear about them, and often some locals are aware of its existence already, but for it to really get explored and investigated is a great thing, not?

Which brings me to the conclusion again that we should always approach our history with an open, unbiased mind. Sometimes historybooks can become blindening, if one confuses historical assumptions with historical facts. New discoveries mean an enrichment of our current knowledge, and possible a revision of it.

Thanks for your thread - beautiful find.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SquirrelNutz

Yonaguni that is. There's a lot to say about it, and some controversy lives on wether or not it's a natural formation, rather than a manmade monument...

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Only one poster so far has made the connection to this 'discovery' and the '2012' movie to be released in a week oe so.

i agree. here's why...

the video linked in the OP, is actually embeded in several web sites & blogs...
CNN i believe dug up parts of old stories to make a new video, just in front of the 2012 movie release... and these sites picked up on the newly released video about a 'newly' discovered HUGE pyramid in Guatamala [hmmm, sounds like a screen-play'Trailer teaser]

i just casually looked in the youtube library, there are videos about Mirador going back 11 months and more... so this ''probably the biggest pyramid ever built' is not a recent find at all

in this video, where Hansen is excavating a possible set of tombs...
(in the lost city of Mirador) where he was concentrating on a smaller
'Jaguar Temple' ++instead of exploring the much larger pyramid which he & others already knew about...

www.youtube.com...

// this Jaguar temple, 'tombs of Mirador', is on the other side of the lost city from where the giant pyramid called Danta is located..
this video is over two months old, had 5,519 views, and lasts 3:44 min.

The section of this new video reports on the Maya Creation carving of a panel which depicts the 2 brothers in creation... these panels have been known for at least 4 months already, as this video points out ->
www.youtube.com...

// panels of maya creation found in the lost city of Mirador, has been on youtube 4 months minimum, 2,583 views.. length unk (likely 5 min. & turn off your speakers the music is loud)

The supposed Lost City of Mirador, the humongous pyramid (aka: Danta), the creation panels, the Jaguar temple carvings, were all well known among the scientific community for at least 11 months of videos available,
the study of this Maya...Pre-Classical Era, has been going on for a while now...

the new video we are all getting jazzed about... is just a retread/remake, designed/engineered to arouse interest and hubbub & generate internet chatter->> To hopefully lead to greater ticket sales of the 2012 film release

nothing new here

[edit on 26-10-2009 by St Udio]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Some people just don't get it - symbolism is much stronger than words, especially when it is on a global scale and none of these ancient human civilizations talked to each other - separated by oceans and thousands of miles but yet they built the same things all over the "WORLD"

Yeah, nothing to see here - move along.

PLEASE!

A balance not achieved through deception, I feel sorry for some.

Ticket sales - good grief!

[edit on 26-10-2009 by arizonascott]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Movhisattva

Yonaguni that is. There's a lot to say about it, and some controversy lives on wether or not it's a natural formation, rather than a manmade monument...

Yup, Yonaguni - that's it!

No WAY that is NOT manmade - no chance!: www.altarcheologie.nl...

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I did not read all of the posts...not too sure it has been brought up or not, but I sure hope they don't find a crystal skull in this pyramid...

aren't we supposed to find the last/13th one briefly before the need to use them...or something. I'm sure there are some better versed in this. I'll keep an eye on this for sure...

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   

My thought as well, don't worry. I was just pointing out the controversy that exists around it, because its location hasn't been above sealevel for too much time to fit in our conventional history of human civilization. Which makes some people conclude 'it must be a natural formation'.

[edit on 27/10/09 by Movhisattva]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   

I know CNN is bull#ting when it says that there are hundreds of pyramids in the Guatamala rain forest to be discovered.

I have a good friend who lived in Guatamala until he was 20, and served in a militia regime who did nothing but patrol the rainforest and drug trafficing. Guatamala, in my opinion and his, is run but nothing but Cartels and drug money. They know every inch of rainforest in their territory. There is nothing to be discovered anymore in this world, except maybe in Antartica.

[edit on 25-10-2009 by xynephadyn]

And you know this for sure..Yeah Im sorry but I highly doubt it!!! Have you never seen a picture of how the Sphinx looked when it was discovered?? It was covered in sand up to its head!!! There are MANY things left to be discovered in this world. Imagine if you could dig underneath many layers of dirt and rock what you might find. You seem very closed minded to think there is nothing left to discover. Personally I would love to see what is under the desert in good old Egypt
As far as your friend saying this isnt true, well I dont believe him. Just because he lived there doesnt mean he knows all that is undiscovered there. Rainforests can hide many things remember that.

To the OP great post!! I love anything having to do with Ancient Civilizations.. Its our history as a whole no matter where you live and I its amazing to learn more and more every time something new is found. S&F for sure!!!

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
IMO there are undiscovered pyramids all over (or under) the world

Here are a couple pyramids in Europe (Bosnia)
Bosnian Pyramids

And some in China (Xi'an)
Chinese Pyramids

If someone could make vast sums of money from discovering pyramids we'd have found them all

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

That was an excellent presentation S69. I wonder how long it will take us as a world to become advanced enough to base civilization on something other than war. I'll venture a guess, perhaps another 5000 years before we catch up to them. That is, of course, if we find real progress in any other art than killing.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Oh! I heard about that! They said that a lot of people don't notice it, because it basicly looks like a jungle... That is amazing I really want to go there, but they have guards around there now so no one gets in... :C

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   

There is nothing to be discovered anymore in this world, except maybe in Antartica.

You just don't know what you are saying.

Like in 2006 a pyramid from the Teotihuacan culture (who built the amazing pyramids the of the sun and the moon near mexico city) was discovered in the middle of #ing Mexico City. The pyramid is almost as big as the Chichen Itza pyramid in the Maya Yucatan area and people thought it was a hill. Its actually where every year they do a reenactment of the crucifixion of christ and because of this unfortunately they are not going to dig it out. You can read the story here:

www.guardian.co.uk...

But if a huge pyramid can be discovered in the middle of one of the largest cities in the world then you you can be sure to find a lot more sites just about everywhere.

Another recent amazing discovery in the center of Mexico City is what they think is an aztec tomb of huge importance. They are digging it out extremely slowly because they don't want to damage anything, but they are already uncovering what could be the largest Aztec monolith ever found which shows the god of the earth, Tlaltecuhtli, who is depicted as a woman with huge claws, a stream of blood flowing into her mouth as she squats to give birth. Well this discovery is from 2009! I think the monolith is pretty amazing and captivating. Please check it out, you can see the amazing monolith towards the end of the video:

dsc.discovery.com...

These are just a few examples that I have come across, there are many more including entire cities found recently in Peru. And a lot of the sites that are already discovered have not been dug out or explored. Like many of the pyramids of China of which most people don't even know about. These pyramids could hold so many amazing secrets because they have simply not been dug out. You might as well call it undiscovered for all we know about them.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by mcrom901

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
an interesting read about the discovery of the stone head in the guatemalan jungle.......

Some archaeological findings appear and then soon afterwards disappear again, even though they generate tremendous interest at the time of their initial announcement. This was definitely the case for a gigantic stone head "somewhere in the jungle of Guatemala". One of the first people to speak about this Guatemalan stone head was Dr. Oscar Rafael Padilla Lara, in 1987. Padilla was a doctor of philosophy, as well as a lawyer and notary – though many seem to mainly define him as a man interested in UFOs. With this known interest in the mysterious, on August 16, 1986, he received a photograph of a monolith located somewhere in the jungles of Guatemala. The photograph was taken in the 1950s by the owner of the land where the huge stone sculpture was located, but as he had died, Padilla had been unable to determine the exact location.
The story was first printed in the Ancient Astronaut Society newsletter Ancient Skies, in 1987. The article included the important photograph that sat the centre of the controversy. For controversial it was. The stone head had very fine features: thin lips, a large sharp nose, leaving an overall Caucasian interpretation. They eyes of the head were closed, though if they were open, they would be looking towards the sky. Its size is enormous, at least 30 feet, as can be calculated from the three men sitting on top and the car parked in front of the statue.
Some initial questions were posed: was the structure just a head, or was there a body underneath? Though unlikely, it could be. If therefore most likely “just” a head, was there a rapport with the stone torsos of Easter Island? That seemed unlikely, but was asked at the time – specifically given the audience that would read the report.

Little else was reported about the discovery, were it not for one person. The small article was read by David Hatcher Childress, the travelling archaeologist who visited the various mysteries across the world, reporting on his travels in a series of “Mystery Travel books”. He set out on a quest to find it, and would print the results in his Lost Cities of North and Central America. Childress had a meeting with Padilla. Padilla said that he had shown the photograph to a relative, who said that the statue was located on property belonging to the Biener family, but was unsure of which property exactly. Padilla set out on a quest: "In order to find it, I went approximately 180 kilometers from the city, towards Las Victorias, Los Encuentros, Saint Felipe Retalhuleu, on the Pacific coast of Guatemala. From there, I followed a main road for 5 kilometers, then three 3 kilometers more on a road of battered earth (in dreadful conditions) and finally 5 kilometers on foot, through the jungle." The site was La Democracia, supporting the original account.
What should have been a joyous occassion, was one of despair. Padilla said that the statue had been destroyed: “It was destroyed by revolutionaries about ten years ago. We had located the statue too late. It was used as target practice by anti-government rebels. This totally disfigured it, sort of like the way the Sphinx in Egypt had its nose shot off by the Turks, only worse.” The eyes, nose and mouth had completely gone. No doubt, the fact that the head had been carved from soft sandstone did not help; it had helped to make this face very smooth, but also very brittle. Padilla was able to measure its height as between 4 and 6 metres, with the head resting on a neck.
On June 6, 1991, Paddila wrote to me, stating: "indeed that group of explorers under the leadership of David Hatcher Childress were here in Guatemala. Before their arrival they came in contact with me, and when they arrived in the country I gave them the information they requested regarding how to reach the different places which they planned to visit, as well as some photographs and other material on the subject. I was unable to accompany them due to my occupations. I have located it [the stone head] and seen it, but it is found in a place difficult to reach, and at present it is a dangerous place because there have been armed attacks between government forces of this country and subversive forces, which have destroyed it completely; although it is 10 kilometers away from a small village."
This destruction meant that the story died, for no special trophies were at the end of the road. Still – and unfortunately – the sad fact that the head had been destroyed, should not have stopped the debate about the head itself – which remains a true anomaly. And even though largely disfigured, archaeologists could still have attempted to retrieve vital data from the site – perhaps almost thirty years post the destruction, this is still possible.

The head is – so far – unique. Still, it sits near La Democracia, which is a town that is famous for its twelve stone heads, though these are nothing like “Padilla’s stone head”. The stone heads in La Democracia are situated in a ring around the main plaza and are carved from large boulders. They depict pot-bellied human figures, many with flat faces staring skyward. They are typically Olmec in appearance and origin – and that is a style that is far removed from the graceful lines that delineate the Padilla head.
The ancient Olmec civilization predated the Maya and is believed to be the first to erect pyramids in Mesoamerica. The heads were gathered from the nearby site of Monte Alto, considered one of the oldest settlements in the American Continent (mid Pre-classic period, 1800 BC to 250 AD). Still, in execution, the Padilla head is totally akin to the Olmec civilisation. The Olmecs of La Venta are known to have erected huge sculptures, some of these weighing up to 40 tonnes – the Padilla head most likely weighs more. Like the Padilla head, the Olmecs largely “just” carved stone heads, but their style is different – more abstract.

cntd.....

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   

So we are left with some questions. Though the Olmec possessed the ability, stylistically, the Padilla head does not fit in this classification. The next question is therefore whether the Padilla head is an anomaly of the Olmec period, or whether it is part of another – unknown – culture that predated or post-dated the Olmecs, and whose only artefact identified so far is the Padilla head.
In the absence of future discoveries, the Padilla head should logically be dated to the Olmec period, and seen as an atypical work of art for the Olmec civilisation. But if this is the case, why? And is the stone head a standalone feature, or is it, like the Sphinx, merely part of a larger complex, waiting to be discovered? Only the future will tell… and perhaps the initial disappointment of its disfigurement may still give rise to joy.

www.philipcoppens.com...

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Pyramids all over the world, caral supe in particular, i am very sure that i saw a post on here with a link to a youtube video that said they are 9,500 years old, but cannot find it any more, i have looked caral supe and find that they are saying only 5000 yrs old..is there a conspiricy to put us humanity to only that old? There is a wonderful book out there written by a guy called micheal cremo called Forbidden archeaoligy i suggest that you all read that and then make a decision about our history. cheers and merry christmas.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by mcrom901

Very interesting article, thanks for sharing.

I wonder if anyone has ever done any more research.
I did a quick search and couldn't find of any further exploration of the site.

It could be very possible that this stone head was actually carved after the Spanish arrived. Without any real research having been done, who knows.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Aluxe

It's interesting how modern inhabitants re-enact a sacrifice (the crucifiction) on a site that was previously dedicated to sacrifice. Just how that all correlates I am not sure. Maybe the collective subconscience of the indigenious peoples has in some way drawn them to the old temple site because it was used for so long as a place of sacrifice and worship of the gods.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join