It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your understanding of biological evolution?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
This is inspired by the various threads on evolution that generally end up as an argument over what evolution is. As far as I can tell this is due to massive variance in what people understand biological evolution to be.

So I thought it would be interesting to have a thread where each person can giver their own explanation of the evolutionary process.

I don't intend this to be a discussion on what evolution is, at least not at first, I just want to see what people think it is. So I'd rather people didn't correct or discuss each others posts (at least not for a while) and instead just provided their own explanation. If the thread gets to a good number of posts and explanations begin to be repeated then we can let the open discussion begin.

It would also be interesting if people who don't want to contribute direct would star the explanation that they most agree with. For that reason I'd also prefer people not to star posts unless they agree with the given explanation.

Cheers

Mike

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
One thing is for sure .. the evolution of mankind didn't develop the same way as the evolution of every other life form on this planet.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
To me evolution is changes. Its time. Biological evolution is interaction between different chemicals and gasses creating a entity with specific functions.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
The way i see it - evolution is process in which new organisms, more fitting to environmental pressure at the moment or simply those capable to take new niche, appear due to mutations. Only those who receive certain benefits in current situation due to this mutation survive and go on in the race. Of course there is luck factor too.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Ok, just so we don't go off track what I'm asking for is what do you understand scientific, biological evolution to be? You don't have to agree with it or anything like that or come up with your own ideas about how species change, I just want to know what you think they (they being evolutionary biologists) mean when they say “biological evolution”; in as much detail as possible.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
To me, evolution is the process of introducing slow biological changes over successive generations in order to better adapt to changes in the environment, changes in available food sources, or general biological improvements which will elevate the chances of survival and propagation of a species over another competing species (animal or plant).

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Ok ill give it a go, i was a bit of a bludger at school but ill try and remember. Thought more people would give it a go.

My take on evolution is when an organism adapts itself to its surrounding environment through successful generations, each generation changing (adapting) a little more then the one before it, when enough changes occur the new species will no longer mate with the species it came from, thus creating a new species.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

What I know of biological evolution is this.

Fact---Changes occur within from generation to generation.

Theory---How does it change.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Conclusion

Again, please stick to the spirit of the thread.

I started this to get an understanding of what people on ATS think evolution is not to have an argument about whether it is correct or not.

So what do you think biological evolution is, from a scientific point of view?

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   

I am sorry I thought I did stick to the thread. From a scientific viewpoint that is how I see evolution. It is a fact that certain traits are passed down from parent to child, evolving the child if you will. That is evolutionary fact. How and why this happens is a speculation of ideas and scientists views which is the theory of evolution.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Evolution is adaptation, by deed, and by females choosing a mate which would be more advantageous to the enviroment.

Let's say, you start a new job shoveling rock, your hands would hurt, but then your body would adapt by creating calluses, this is evolution in its simplest form ..... however when you span it over a million years, anythings possible.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

To me its evolving biologically with help from EXTERNAL SOURCES. Like our animal meat is injected with all types of stuff to encourage growth, health before its slaughtered for food. Or how humans have altered the color of PORK TO APPEAR AS A WHITE MEAT when its really RED. Another aspect is how humans altered the life span of FRUIT FLIES causeing them to live twice their age.

It can also include evoving to fit into your HABITAT if it changes somehow. Humans live on planet where there is a need to see higher up then 4 feet so we have grown to do so. If we lived on a even plained surfaced PLANET WE WOULD PROBABLY NOT GROW AS TALL. Or how some INDIANS HAVE GENETICALLY LARGER lungs from living high up in the mountains with thick air forcing them to take deeper breaths to compinsate for the thin air intake.

And last evolving DUE TO THREAT. Some creatures have to shoot INKS, VENOMS OR EXPAND SOME BODILY FEATURE TO SCARE OFF A POTENTIAL PREDATOR. And some SPECIES develop MENTALLY FOR THE SAME REASONS TO BECOME MORE INTELLIGENT THEN THEIR POTENTIAL ENEMY like a group of dolpins recognizing that if the shark is hit in its gills it will die, so the dolphins attack the sharks gills to kill.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Evolution from the best explanation I can give myself which I admit is not the best description in it's entirety as it will encompass more than I am able to conceptualize in one post is as follows:

Evolution within a species is the successive adaptation changes that occur and are passed down from generation to generation. Evolution from one species to the next is the same as above, but with the added variable of separation of a species into two distinct populations that change in accordance to their new environmental niche leading to changes that make the two species unable to mate with one another and in some cases look different from the common ancestor they both shared.

Like I said, not the best quick description I can give myself, but a close approximation of how I understand the process in it's simplicity.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

You are telling me what you agree and disagree with, I’m asking for you to describe the process of biological evolution as it is currently understood by science whether you agree with it or not.

I’m not asking for you to pass judgement on the theory nor am I asking for you to tell me how you personally think different species have emerged.

The point is, threads on evolution go nowhere because everyone’s working on different understandings of evolution. I want to know what those differing understanding are.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

Am I missing something? You said to explain it in our own way. I am by no means judging it.

Biological evolution is a change in the genetic characteristics of a population over time. That this happens is a fact. Biological evolution also refers to the common descent of living organisms from shared ancestors. The evidence for historical evolution -- genetic, fossil, anatomical, etc. -- is so overwhelming that it is also considered a fact. The theory of evolution describes the mechanisms that cause evolution. So evolution is both a fact and a theory.

www.talkorigins.org...

[edit on 27-10-2009 by Conclusion]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I think it is a species' ability to adapt to its surroundings, slowly, over time.

That is, MICRO-evolution.

Plenty of time for small manifestations to occur over time: such as lengthening of a Tortoises neck, or changes in the shape of a Finch's beak, or obsolescence of (and consequently, slow elimination of) vestigal human organs/tissue.

Even Darwin, himself, admitted that MACRO-evolution (ability of a species to 'evolve' into something else, entirely) was ONLY a theory with no real evidence or testability.

[Time to examine I.T.]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conclusion
reply to post by Mike_A

Am I missing something? You said to explain it in our own way. I am by no means judging it.

Biological evolution is a change in the genetic characteristics of a population over time. That this happens is a fact. Biological evolution also refers to the common descent of living organisms from shared ancestors. The evidence for historical evolution -- genetic, fossil, anatomical, etc. -- is so overwhelming that it is also considered a fact. The theory of evolution describes the mechanisms that cause evolution. So evolution is both a fact and a theory.

www.talkorigins.org...

[edit on 27-10-2009 by Conclusion]

Actually, evolution of humans (which I think is where this discussion was heading) is FAR from fact, and completely UNDERwhelming, when you consider the likelihood of organic molecules spontaneously assembling themselves into a living organism is equal to the likelihood of a tornado sweeping through a junkyard and correctly assembling a Boeing 747*.

Furthermore, the fossil record for humans (and every other species, for that matter (into another)) does not suggest transition over time at all, rather complete transformation!

Nevemind the fact that somehow we (humans) managed to lose a pair of chromosomes (that's a LOT of DNA) from our primate 'ancestors' yet are somehow so superior to them? I don't think so.

[time to examine I.T.]

*British astrophysicist Fred Hoyle.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by SquirrelNutz

Yes. I agree with you. He was just wondering if we knew what evolution meant scientifically speaking.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Ah, I got ya.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by SquirrelNutz

Sorry to go against your wish's Mike, but I have to do this. I can't stand seeing blatant stupidity thrown around like it's the newest hottest thing to do this year.

Actually, evolution of humans (which I think is where this discussion was heading) is FAR from fact, and completely UNDERwhelming, when you consider the likelihood of organic molecules spontaneously assembling themselves into a living organism is equal to the likelihood of a tornado sweeping through a junkyard and correctly assembling a Boeing 747*.

Well Mr. SquireeelNutz, your just a bit wrong in your line of logic here. There is no physical process that allows for a fully functioning and fueled 747 to form out of non-organic molecules. From that right there alone we can shoot down your analogy. We have discovered that non-organic compounds can and do combine to create organic precursors of life. This feat in itself has nothing to do with Evolutionary Theory. What you dismissing away is called abiogenesis.

Furthermore, the fossil record for humans (and every other species, for that matter (into another)) does not suggest transition over time at all, rather complete transformation!

Wrong, we can trace our evolution back about six million years. LINK

Nevemind the fact that somehow we (humans) managed to lose a pair of chromosomes (that's a LOT of DNA) from our primate 'ancestors' yet are somehow so superior to them? I don't think so.

So the fusing of two chromosomes leaving us with 46 and the rest of the primates with 48 makes us less superior? Where do you get your logic from, in order to be more superior we should have more chromosomes? Somehow I don't think you know what your talking about... idk, call me crazy, just a gut feeling here... possibly too many squirrelnutz for you, try slowing down.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join