It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Really Scares People: Top 10 Phobias

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
reply to post by andy1033

Andy most people are good, know that is hard to believe sometimes, good luck to you, and by the way it is never too late, never say never.

If you see some of the other posts i did here, you will see that they have used mind control on me for 17 years now, and totally destroyed any chance that i will ever trust anyone. These people are pure ffing evil, and they are supposed to be protecting society.

You will not believe what i have been through.

But cheers for the words.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Everyone knows about my eye phobia, and they all exploit it whenever possible. In fact, my younger brother used to blackmail me by flipping his eyelids inside-out.......yeeeccchhhh.

I suppose, if the phobia is severe enough, it would be difficult to hide.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I'm more afraid of strangers. I'm afrais that the can be serial killers

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I have a phobia of water. I am a decent swimmer and have needed to swim often for my job, but I prefer to be able to put my feet on a solid surface. Being out too deep (more than 10 feet of water) freaks me out a bit and I have to remind myself to stay calm. It probably began when I almost drown (or at least thought I was going to). My worst fear is to drown for sure.

My ex-wife used to have a fear of driving over bridges. The longer the bridge, the worse it was for her. I have to admit that since then I sometimes can't help but think what it would be like for the bridge to suddenly collapse - which brings me back to my fear of water.

I also could do without ever seing those big 3-inch long roaches / palmetto bugs. Those things freak me out as well.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by bagari

Ugh! 3-inch long roaches / palmetto bugs, you must live in Florida, my Father is a Snow Bird and I do visit, first time I ever saw a roach or palmetto bug, it wasn't at his house but a friends, don't think I could handle living there, it isn't just bugs....saw my Dad's neighbor kill a rattler, freaked me out.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Creepy Crawlies Number 2
While most would at least flinch at the sight of Aragog, the human-eating spider depicted in "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets," the everyday spider can cause the same fear in some people. And it turns out, women are four times more likely to fear such arachnids than men.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3a0b7ca6d90c.jpg[/atsimg]

I don't ever want to see one of these.....you would here screaming from here to New York and beyond.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I used to have phobia of heights and my mom rented a flat in a 22 floor for us... looking through the window was so difficult for me the first months, then the phobia was gone forever. Similar with spiders, I moved with my ex bf and he had the biggest case of arachnophobia I've seen... 3 years killing even the smallest and harmless spider he saw surely did the job for me...

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Caggy

Glad you got over your phobia, the 18 months I lived in Florida creeped me out at times, I saw so many bugs there that I had never seen before and had no clue if they were dangerous on not, but do remember being told to watch for fire ants, I never went outside at night or walked in the grass barefoot..

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Geolion1
The number 1 phobia that I think most people have is,
Fear of the Dark

Fear of the Dark- Iron Maiden
"Fear of the dark, fear of the dark
I have a constant fear that someones always near
Fear of the dark, fear of the dark
I have a phobia that someones allways there"

Just decided to added that cause I think if you have a fear of the dark, is mainly because of this.

Great qoute!!! By far my fave Maiden album. I got into it in the early 90's.

Gotta say that I also have a this fear. Altho, it usually stems from depending what I saw, or heard, or read before going to sleep. And don't get me started on spiders.
Especially the "popcorn" spiders. God almighty!!!!

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

then stay away from Brazil!!!. I went there for vacations and i was fascinated about the size and amount of bugs around. I really like bugs so it made my travel, but my "normal" friends were shocked (I'm the weirdo that likes insects and spiders...). Once there was a 6" spider in a corner of the Zoo's bus stop. Not a tarantula, a... black and yellow big a$$ spider!!. Everybody creeped out, I took the camera and some pics. The bad thing is it was too far from where i took the pics, so they're blurry... I'd love to get them in a better quality to creep my friends that weren't there

Oh and we were just in Sao Paulo, not even close to the jungle!

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I would say spiders is my biggest phobia, and moths too, really hate moths they seem to fly at your face

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
Large crowds scare me big time, cannot stand being shoulder to shoulder, In 1984 I happened to be at Tiger Stadium in Detroit the night they took the division (they did win the 1984 World Series that year) leaving the stadium was a nightmare and people were jammed against each other and I panicked, I still remember Marty, may he rest in peace, grabbed my hand and kept telling me it would be alright to just hang on. It was a fluke that we were at that game as my Real Estate Company got those tickets two months before, who knew it would such an exciting night.

Absolutely, freaks me out and I get all dizzy like i'm gonna faint, even hate crowded shops too.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I got a Good one.

I dont get this kind of phobia if i dont think about it, its when I take a dip at the lake. And decide to swim to the Island or the other side, and in the middle of the lake the thoughts starts coming.
Da daaaaa Daaa Daaaaaa dadadadadada Ahhhhhhhh! Swim faster and faster and getting paranoid at the same time. What was that uh !

I have a phobia about large insects, Especially Moths, i hate them and i am scared of them. I can handle the small once , but when it comes to the big fat juicy ones i scream and fight them as much as i can.

I use guerrilla tactics when i try to kill one big fat moth in my room.
Hit and run, if its a miss the moth starts to fly its retarded flight path and i run.
Then i give it a new try and do my throwing of an hard object at it.

Moth phobia, Large fat juicy insect phobia and Empty dark DEEEEEEEEEP waters PHOBIA

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Reckon

Reckon that moth doesn't have a chance with you around.....eek! What about beetles and crickets, don't like them, but I don't kill bugs any more, living where I do I rarely see bugs but sure did growing up by the beach..

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
When I was 7 years old, I was in my school classroom and a girl behind me threw up on her desk. I didn't know it until the class started freaking out. I turned around and it was right there. I had my first panic attack. It happened again when I was in the fourth grade, only the girl was not so close to me. After that, I was afraid to go to school. I missed alot of days that year. When I did go to school, I would watch everyone very closely to see if they looked sick. LOL. Makes me laugh now, but I was miserable and scared the entire time while in school.

Even today, I do not like to be around children..I am over 50. I don't like to be around drunks. I don't like crowds or enclosed places....very anti-social. And I live alone because I am afraid a partner would get sick. I am a mess.

I will say that I am a little bit better than I used to be....I have worked very hard to overcome it. But it has controlled nearly my entire life. I know it is irrational but knowing that does not make it go away.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I've only one phobia... large crowds- actually, it was triggered after I almost die crushed by a large crowd in a certain public event some years ago.

It was terrible, we were saved by a very tall man, that somehow lead the crazy mass to "the exit"-...

After that, I try to avoid events that will congretate too many people. Because they eventually "lose control".

I don't like stadiums or concerts... the only thought of all those hundreds of people standing next to eachother gives me the creeps-

Oh- I use to dislike insects, but I have learnt to love them

[edit on 25/10/09 by plutoxgirl]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by plutoxgirl

You and me both plutogirl, you may have read my story earlier in this thread of my experience at Tiger Stadium, and concerts will I have to admit that I went to see The Moody Blues three or four years ago, love them and just couldn't miss it, the crowds were huge but got through it, reason being is I came late and left a little early, it was outdoors in the afternoon..

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
The Dark Number 6
For many kids, lights out can mean immediate distress that the boogey man, or some variation, will pop out from beneath the bed or behind a closet door. In fact, being afraid of the dark is one of kids' most common fears. "What always amazes us are the thoughts or beliefs that kids have," said Thomas Ollendick, professor of psychology and director of the Child Study Center at Virginia Tech. "Kids believe everything imaginable, that in the dark robbers might come or they could get kidnapped, or someone might come and take their toys away." Essentially, their fears stem from "the unexpected," he said. While kids grow out of such fears, if the anxiety reaches extreme levels and is considered a phobia, called nyctophobia, Ollendick says that can last through adulthood if left untreated.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d0c13244d39a.jpg[/atsimg]

I remember as a child being afraid of the dark, I wouldn't go out trick n' treating without one of my parents...

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Haven't come across anyone with this one, but I started to develop a phobia of parasites in my early 20's (now 31). Anything under the skin or trying to get under the skin is highly distubing to me. My mom once felt something on her dog and asked me to hold her while she took a look. When the fur parted I saw the fattest tick trying its damnedest to burrow in. It freaked me out in such a way that I was clear across the house with my hands over my face. My Mom couldn't believe the distance I covered in a second or two. To this day even describing or thinking about parasites gives me the willies. My head tingles and I get goose bumps. Even the thought of of ever getting pregnant can get me. That one always weirds people out! As for the top 10 list, not one evoked fear. I like spiders! I have no idea where it stems from.

Maybe watching Aliens when I was a kid. Though the movie has no effect whatsoever. Ah the mysteries of life.

[edit on 26-10-2009 by seageek]

[edit on 26-10-2009 by seageek]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Death- But not in the way most people are afraid of it, I guess "fear" isn't the best word, more so regret. I regret that I will never live long enough to see the world evolve to the level that I would like it to be IE; outer space outposts, regular travel to distant planets and in general just an advanced society.

Aside from that I do not think that I have any "phobias" other than a severe dislike of odd numbers, but that's more OCD than a phobia

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join