It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Really Scares People: Top 10 Phobias

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
High bridges scare the heck out of me.

I break out in a sweat every time I cross one.

Those interstate interchanges are the worse.

Living in Calif. where there is always the possibility of quakes don't make it any better.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

During the 89 Quake BART came to a standstill underwater when the power went out, as you know it runs by electricity, don't remember now how long they were stuck there with no lights, I probably would have died.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

In the end i managed to calm down and continued the whole tour. It was really weird, i was surrounded by thousands and thousands of human skulls and bones, and i was freaking out because the ceiling was too low.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Horror!

And ya, my friends and family know about these two fears and it's really not a big deal... except when we're crossing bridges and someone decides to slow way the "___" down to rub it in! That's not fun...kinda like torment, really...

[edit on 24-10-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by calcoastseeker
High bridges scare the heck out of me.

I break out in a sweat every time I cross one.

Those interstate interchanges are the worse.

Living in Calif. where there is always the possibility of quakes don't make it any better.

Those interchange bridges also scared me, I cannot believe while I lived there they not only built a long curvy bridge in Hayward to connect 580 and 880, the worst part it is on the Hayward fault...CalTrans must have been drinking again..Only time I used it was when I was going to SFO or Menlo Park...rarely thank goodness.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Wallachian

All I can say is you're much braver than me, I have been to Paris many times and know what you are talking about, I skipped that part...

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Thanks, it really doesn't affect me much. As an example, I do a fair amount of hiking and if I'm on top of a cliff I like to be a few feet from the edge instead of right at it like before. It doesn't keep me from doing anything but it's a little strange as it didn't bother me at all before and nothing obvious happened to change it. -Gettin old

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Maybe this is a good thread to help us face our fears, it can't hurt, right. Now if I will only take my own advice.

[edit on 24-10-2009 by Aquarius1]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
spiders! im so afraid that once I saw a one in a car that I jumped to the drivers seat while the person was driving! I prefer to die than to be near a spider!
Oh and im afraid of loud noises....awkward i know
Edit: im afraid of spiders but i never wish to kill them because they are living beings and aren't guilty of my fear

[edit on 24-10-2009 by Danna]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Being stranded floating in open ocean is one of my phobias. I think it is the vastness of the unknown dangers that lie below me that I can not wrap my head around. There are things below you that want to eat you and they see you and smell you from miles away, but you won't even see or hear them coming. Even if you do, what are you going to do? You're just a defenseless sheeple. Great post S + F

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
This may sound strange, but I have a phobia of anything with a 'scratchy' feeling. Particularly the scratchy part of Velcro, most types of carpeting, toothbrushes/anything with bristles on bare skin. Gah! I'm squirming just thinking about it.

I am quite aware of the origins of this...my father used to make me scrub my nails when I was younger. This was probably my least favourite activity, and my father could probably have been considered a phobia all on his own at the time.

I have no idea how to conquer this, either. Obviously, I don't wish to touch these textures. I hear hypnosis works, but this isn't a major thing that prevents me from living...I just avoid these things.

Anyway, thought I would share, since I know this isn't exactly a common fear!

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
Maybe this is a good thread to help us face our fears, it can't hurt, right. Now if I will only take my own advice.

[edit on 24-10-2009 by Aquarius1]

The problem is we cannot say our fears here, as some may find offensive, and the world did not let them try to fix by themselves.

Thats life, but fears can destroy lifes, if not tackled.

I had fears that society would not let me fix, because people made up absolutely rubbish about me. So i will live with them until i die. But man, fears can really get to you if they are left to go on.

[edit on 10/24/2009 by andy1033]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Terces_Pot_Evoba

Interesting, I have never gone an Ocean Liner cruise, that scares me also, although I was raised on a lake and lived on the water growning up, excellent swimmer and skiier..not the same as the Ocean...I lived on Saginaw Bay in the Thumb area of Michigan which is part of Lake Huron.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Andy I am sorry about your fears, pray that someday you will get some help...

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Demoncreeper

Why would you kill a spider? It's not like your life is in danger.

Take something like a piece of soft cardboard instead and scoop the spider, gently, so it slides on the cardboard, and then shake the cardboard, or just toss it, through an open window.

P.S.
Oh, right, forgot to name my phobia: I have an acute phobia of ignorance and stupidity. No, really. I do.

[edit on 24-10-2009 by Ethereal Gargoyle]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
Have a question for all of you, since this is a message board and we are pretty much anonymous, do you admit these fears and phobia's to family and friends, I do all the time, usually they tell you their fears at that point.

I really don't think I have a specific phobia - some things will raise my anxiety level a bit, but that's things like working with heights large spiders (cos that's just common sense, I don't know enough about them to know which ones are harmless)... All of these things I can deal with if I have to...

I did have a strange little one fo a while in this shared flat I lived in... The washing machine (clothes)... The latch on the door was bust and half the time you couldn't open it, we had taken the screws out of the top cover and left them out - what you would do is lift the top and get your hand right down in there and flip the latch from the inside...

One time I forgot to flip the mains switch and I got a pretty good shock (not full mains voltage - but pretty healthy!)... Any ways I'm a fairly practical person so that stuck in my head and I would always make sure the switch was off after that... Still knowing that the power was off it was still very difficult to put my hand down in there again... It was almost as if something physical was preventing me..... But y'know the only way to get at my washing was to do it - and my flat mates sure as hell wouldn't do it for me... They found that one a little amusing.

Maybe I should of sued the land lord for emotional damage or something?

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Thunder and Lightning - Number 7
The crackling of thunder and lightning can lead to a heart-pounding, sweaty-palm meltdown for individuals with severe weather phobia. In fact, some even pack up and move to regions known for calm weather, according to John Westefeld of the University of Iowa.

This is a love hate thing for me, severe electrical storms that last for hours do scare me a lot, thunder doesn't bother me, but if I hear a crack sound I run for cover...

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I know what your talking about mon, it's terrible what people can do. I'm not very proud of it but I've seen on both sides of it and it's about as wrong as it gets. Probably where my extreme dislike of zero sum thinking was born. Good luck.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by beezwaxes

Thx i don't like to think as anything about luck though, i just think we exist in a world of apathy and people wanted to screw my life.

The society is rubbish because of them and the way they are, and the irony is they think there the good things in society, lol.

Put it this way, my time for help from others has passed, and so i just will live out my life like this, though i do not care much, but at least i seen the extremes of what people are. I am glad, and found that these things are also a blessing in disguise in alot of ways.

Cheers for the sympathy posts though, lol.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Andy most people are good, know that is hard to believe sometimes, good luck to you, and by the way it is never too late, never say never.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join