It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.3 mag Earthquake - Tsunami warning issued

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   

7.3 mag Earthquake - Tsunami warning issued

No Sorce yet - sky news
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
more quakes...7.3 this time, for some reason E-quake has not showed anything. sky news are reporting that the quake was in the maluka area and a tsunami warning has been issued!/.

eyes glued for news!

i am hoping this is nothing to bad, but the area they mentioned seems to be all islands.. i hope noone is in for a wet evening.

(visit the link for the full news article)

EDIT - just as i posted this equake showed the quake - its reporting it as a 7.0 in the banda sea... a quick google search shows a small area, that sea is nearly completly surrounded in islands! eek

earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on 24-10-2009 by boaby_phet]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by boaby_phet

I hope this turns out to be nothing to worry about for those that live close by.

Thanks

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Quake appears to be pretty deep (138km) which would appear to be good news for a tsunami to not form.

Man, has there been a lot of large quakes lately or what?

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
scientists cant seem to make their mind up on the strength of this one, the us geo people are calling 7.0 , other groups are saying its between 7.3 and 7.6 !

good news, scientists have said theirs not much chance of a tsunami! (lets just hope Michael Fish doesnt work for them)

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by slyce
Quake appears to be pretty deep (138km) which would appear to be good news for a tsunami to not form.

Man, has there been a lot of large quakes lately or what?

I believe phage would disagree!

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
While Phage would certainly argue to the contrary ( He/she has gained quite a bit of notoriety recently), The more big quakes hit the area, the harder it is to accept as 'normal'. I'm not totally convinced as yet but the almost constant activity is definately causing me to scratch my head and wonder. I hope no tsunami is generated by this quake, the area is getting ravaged by natural disasters.....

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
double post. Not my fault!

not a one liner either....rules are rules

[edit on 24-10-2009 by Chonx]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

i too hope their is no tsunami ... it quake wasnt to far from land so it shouldnt be long till we know!..

i hope phage does point out something else people are missing
ive learned so much from his points in various topics! without the discussion noone learns anything!

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by boaby_phet

BBCnews24 is saying that the Tsunami warning has been lifted now so it loks like another potential disaster has been averted. good news!

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
It will get even harder to stick to the belief that all this is random earth quakes as we are approaching 2012 in my opinion.

[edit on 24-10-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Strong quake hits eastern Indonesia, causes panic

A powerful earthquake struck deep under the sea in eastern Indonesia on Saturday, causing panic and sending residents running out of their homes, officials and witnesses said. There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries.

The quake had a preliminary magnitude of 7.0, but at a depth of 86 miles (138 kilometers) was too far below the earth's surface to cause a tsunami, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said.

Saturday's quake came as Indonesia is still recovering from a devastating earthquake last month that killed more than 1,000 people on western Sumatra.

hosted.ap.org...

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

the best thing i can reccomend to put your mind at rest is the firefox plugin Equake... a few weeks ago when their was that spate of quakes near the ring of fire and alot of people chatting about it, i installed the plug in ...and scince then ive stopped thinking that it might be something... as theirs just so much quakes all the time!

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
as of right now the ticker on BBC News says as follows.

LATEST: Indonesia lifts Tsunami warning alert after magnitude 7.0 earthquake

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I find it odd that CNN never even reported this.

7.0 earthquakes doesn't even make the news anymore.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
This won't be devastating for sure, thanks God.
I just would like to point out that the differences in the reports from scientists/sources regarding the magnitude in these cases (one claiming 7.0, another one 7.3 etc) aren't necessarly determined by some state of confusion:
Basically, there are two scales:
the Moment Magnituted Scale, Known as MMS (Mw) is used to determine the size of a shock intended as energy released:
this can be achieved by doing some calculations involving (Rigidity of Earth) and [(amount of slip on the fault) + (size of the area involved in the shock)]: the last two ones, would work as multipliers.
I know, it's some inaccurate explanation, but that is the best i can do on some post on a board
: USGS uses this one, anyway. It's often called "Richter" but actually, is NOT.
The Richtermagnitude scale, known as Local Magnitude Scale, it's older, and is based on the assignement of a number to the amount of seismic energy, so the basic is the same, what's different is the process: you have to obtain a |Scale-10 logarithm | scale, using data collected by this or somthing based on it anyway. And NOT, don't think that between a 7.0 and a 6.0 shock there's a difference of 1/10th in strenght: it doesn't work that way.

Table comparing magnitudes towards the upper end of the Richter Scale for major Californian earthquakes.

The approximate TNT for seismic energy yield in this case was around 50 megatons, and given the depht i'd say that not even damages will be reported. I could be wrong but not very much, we'll see, anyway.
Ah : what makes you think that the seismic activity in the area is out of the ordinary, may i ask? It's a question i'm posing after looking at the data and everything seems to be ordinary, in my humble opinion.

[edit on 24/10/2009 by internos]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Is anybody monitoring HAARP? Somebody should be keeping track of when HAARP is on or off and what they are doing? Who is in charge of HAARP anyway? They were on during Katrina. They still couldn't make it a category 4 and had to break the levees artificially.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by slyce

7.0 earthquake will only make the news when the CIA wants it to. We don't have any real news anymore, I mean news for the information of the people wanting to know about anything. We only have news for propaganda.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by slyce
I find it odd that CNN never even reported this.

7.0 earthquakes doesn't even make the news anymore.

The Obama Administration has not approved them to report it yet.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Has anybody noticed that this was a 7.0 arthquake in the earths mantle. This is why there will be no tsunami. I would be concerned if I lived in the region though this screams volcanic activity in the mantle. This could propigate upward and out the volcanoes, if it is in fact volcanic. I do believe that the chances are high though because the mantle is plastic and would normally flow instead of crack.

I have a theory for why these things happen but I haven't published yet so I won't tell it. That is my input.

Angel One

top topics

join