It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flares and signals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I was watching surviving disaster and they showed you can make a smoke flare by taking the cold press contents out of a first aid kit, soak it in water and soak newspaper in it and roll the newspaper up and light it to make a flare. Though they didn't specify if it should be wet or dry. I am assuming wet to make it smoke.

But this led me to wonder, how many different ways can you send signals or flares to get attention of rescue workers? I thought it would be important to come up with ideas on how to get attention, in the case of heat of the moment, you can't always think resourcefully like me. I will list some of the obvious, but I would love to hear other great ideas from the very resourceful and knowledgeable members of ATS.

Or to even clarify or add to an existing idea.

mirror
fire extinguisher
road flare
fire

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
You cant forget about a good ol' fashioned roman candle. They are cheap, light and effective.

That is of course we are talking about just a regular ol' signal flare.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I think any kind of smoking/on fire projectile that can be launched, whether with black powder, large sling shot, or smokeless powder, will get you some attention!

A hollow piece of an old log, "reverse cannon" were you launch the cannon/burning log, would work, there are to many options here to address.

Propellants could be almost anything from deodorant/hairspray, to redneck gunpowder made from coal/fire embers, propane, steam, etc etc.....
Maybe I am not understanding the purpose?

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
LOL!nixi nox i was JUST watchign it too! it was about how to survive a nuclear attck, with a 10 kilton going off, and if yuor about 2 or 3 miles outside ground zero..scary indeed! I always though gamma rays only came from during detonation...i didnt know gamma rays linger around when the fallout comes down.. yeah i never knew the chemicals in a codl pack, soaked in some water, rolled up newspaper, can make a descent slow burning torch*

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Always Clorox Bleach and brake fluid. Lots of white smoke....Lots.

That is of course, you are not stingy with the two. takes more than a little bit.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

That is what I am talking about. I would never think about that.

Also, what is a roman candle exactly?

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

A Roman Candle is a firework that looks like a fusee/road flare or a stick of dynamite that shoots out 5-7 colored flaming balls similar to a flare gun with an overall range of 10m-15m.

They are only legal in so many states in the US. Ohio is not one of them, but a short road trip can fix that.

Also, if you remember the old Tom and Jerry cartoon where they were fighting WWII in the basement and Jerry used a cheese grater as a Jeep and a bra as a parachute. It was the firework that was used around 5:14

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Thank you for that. I knew it was a firework but I also thought it was something else. I want one now, looks like fun.

Anyone else have ideas on how to make a flare, or signal, with something general? Or heck, even more unique?

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

No that is a good idea. Any methods on how to launch it?

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Here are some basic tidbits on launching stuff
www.ehow.com...

The measurement/blueprints are not that important, but the basics will work evan in a hollow log!
The ignitor can be a burning stick, piece of clothing or a bic lighter.
I would use flame on a stick, so as to keep a little distance!

www.ehow.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.cannonthunder.com...

but of course you need to use your head and put something "not a potato" that could be seen from a distance in it, or use it in reverse and put the cannon/hollow log on a stick in the ground and launch the cannon.... with a flaming shirt or smoking pine limbs into the air.
aerosol deodorant works great for fuel, ether works, but not as good as plain ole hairspray or black powder"not to be used in PVC!", or smokeless powder from taking a few shells apart..anyways this will get you started the rest is only as good as you make it!

new topics

top topics

join