posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 05:56 PM
Fist victim, er volunteer, is my laptop, An Acer 5610-4182.
dual-core intel 2.0 gig processors
4 gigs of ram
A Corsair 128 gig SSD (Solid State Drive)
It had version 7100 as soon as it came out.... seriously....
You get disks for both 32 bit as well as 64 bit versions of the operating system.
Ok, here we goooooooooo....
I got the 3 license "FAMILY PACK" which is upgrade version, but can be used on three separate computers. Normally, upgrade home Premium is 129USD
so a three pack for 149USD is a screaming deal.
1) I have removed all data required from this laptop.
2) I am loading the original Vista Home Premium (I feel so dirty when i say that), so I "can" use the upgrade. This is going to be a 2 hour
process. Naturally, in the windows 7 install process, I will delete all the partitions on the drive and create a new partition to load windows 7, so
it will be a fresh install, from an upgrade disk.
3) The instructions say to boot into Vista and then insert the disk in. If you are unsure, it should work just fine, I set the computer to boot to
the cd drive, in the bios.
4) I put the disk in the drive and restarted the laptop
5) It loaded all the files and now is starting the install process
6)loaded, now putting in key (all good so far)
8) loading programs now....
9) I have noticed the show desktop is the far right side of the bottom toolbar. (it was an icon in the toolbar in version 7100.
10) load avg 9, ccleaner, glaries and ghostwall ( ghostwall is having issues)... trying pctools firewall.
(note there is no defraggler-this is an ssd and you don't defrag them)
11) First set of updates....second set installed and done.
12) Download and install safari browser...no issues
11) I have read some comments that win7 firewall isn't bad, if you configure it well