It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dallas police chief says officers have written dozens of tickets to people for not speaking English

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
reply to post by projectvxn

So what's the solution here? Anyone a cop pulls over that indicates that they can't speak English should what - just be let go? Especially if no other officers that speak the language are available? Simply because they don't know what they're being written up for?

Cop Out -

What is a fine for not speaking English going to do to remedy anything I quoted above???

Please break down that logic point by point

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleetlord

I know a lot of people who say that English should be the national language in America, and that every citizen should learn it. I do not believe they are right though. This should come as no suprise. Imagine being pulled over and speaking the language you know best to the officer. And he just stands there and gives you a ticket. I am sure that the dismissal of charges is only a small consolation to those thrity-nine who have been ticketed.

www.dallasnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

1. English is the official language of the United States. If you want to live here, you should learn it. If I move to Spain, I will learn to speak Spanish. If every country of the world had to speak all the languages of its citizens it would make communication nearly impossible.

2. An officer is shouting: "Don't move your hands! Stay still!" And in turn, the suspect reaches into his/her glovebox. The officer has every right to give a citation -- his life could have been in jeopardy.

3. They are an abundance of ESL classes FOR FREE in all areas of this country. We provide people with the ability to learn English FOR FREE.

4. No town/city/state/ is going to be able to provide a translator on hand for every language someone might speak. So, if you get pulled over and don't speak English, I guess the cop should just let you go. While he's asking questions, trying to determine if you're drunk or disabled or having problems, and can't understand your responses, then he should just let yoiu go and hope for the best?

I think you're forgeting one major thing: How does the cop know that they didn't say: "I'm going to kill you." How does the officer know you didn't just say: "I'm taking this girl hostage." See the problem?

Lastly, if the driver and/or passengers can't speak English -- how can they read the road signs? How do they know if something says "DANGER"? Why the heck are they driving around on our roads in the first place? It is not safe to be driving and not speak the language that the signs are in!!!!!

And if you think we are going to provide every street sign in every language that someone in the US might speak, see #1.

[edit on 30-10-2009 by lpowell0627]

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I was thinking that this may open the doors to new signs

Kind of like press one for English

It shouldn't but I wouldn't be surprised ...

new topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join