It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social workers remove new-born baby from obese mother

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I read about this and found it very difficult to decide what would have been the best option for the family.

Definitely, splitting them up was just about the worst. Taking a baby away from its mother after only 24 hours is heart-breaking, whatever the reason it was done for.

The other children are unlikely to be found a home where they can all live together which will be hugely distressing for them.

The authorities hinted, in their statement, that there were issues besides obesity.

I discussed this with a friend and, after careful consideration, I thought it would have been cheaper and easier to pay someone to live with them and be responsible for feeding the family (kids and parents) and working out an exercise regime for them.

This might sound a bit far-fetched, but it will cost a lot of money to foster out the children, so why not pay for a nanny who can look after them all in their own home?

It's not right to judge the parents on the strength of a newspaper article, but they do seem to be in need of some help. Even parenting and nutrition classes would be preferable to taking their kids away.

Having said all that, I can see how allowing a child to become obese can be construed as abuse. As well as the physical health problems, I imagine there would be some psychological issues just as there would be if the child was beaten. And poor eating habits, ingrained early on in life, could be difficult to break.

An expert living with the family would be in a position to ascertain if it was just over-eating and lack of exercise that was causing the problem. And do something about it.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
The state has every right to do whatever they wish with children. The children are not yours, they belong to the state. When we gave the government the right to run social programs, we gave them more than we intended or dreamt. The state has the backing of the courts to do whatever they wish and you have no recourse except to obey their demands. I know this from experience.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I dare someone to try and take my kids from me,using only my weight
as an excuse.Those ,who would foolishly try, would regret it.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by glevel

The thing is, who judges what is fat?

When I was 18 I was a lean muscular, 5'11" size twelve/ fourteen, today people consider a twelve as over weight.

I saw this commercial on TV, the women talking about her diet, and going from a size 10 to a size 4 or whatever,

Me a size 10? not to mention myself as a size four?

I would look anorexic.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

and what exactly would you do?

my guess is "nothing" like everyone else.

There's a fine line to be drawn when letting your children eat themselves to death.

Thats when the state should step in and take care of things - like they've done in this case.

If a child is allowed to eat McDonalds every day for every meal...they have no choice in that matter, and i doubt any of them would put up much of a struggle.

But as responsible parents, one should know not to allow that.

The state is protecting the children. Who gives a $&*# about the irresponsible mother?

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Finn1916

When it comes to obesity? My mother was over weight (Still is, I'm trying not to insult my mother here). My brother was, and I am slowly becoming not fat myself.

Only the extreme of the extreme does the government have the right to do this. I mean humongous. To the point where the mother cannot care for the child, which is why they would be allowed to take it.

Unless the mother was so obese that she was not able to care for her children, then the government far over stepped it's boundaries.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

They do body fat ratio or something, to judge how fat you are or anyone.

They have stats for people taht are normal and those who are obese and seriously obese.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

But you live in america, in uk, the police state can do what it wants.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

Did it ever occur to anyone to help an obese parent lose weight?
Do you have any idea how hard it is to lose weight? Also, the older
you get,the harder it is to lose.

When it comes to my kids,I'll fight as hard as I have to.If I were abusing
them,or neglecting them,that's a different story.But,to take them away
because I'm fat,no way.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I thank God,everyday, that I live in the U.S. We haven't become a
police state yet.I know TPTB are working on it though.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf
Whose wellbeing are we considering in this question?

the mothers?

The children?

Personally, i think the children will be better off in a foster home where they can be taken care of and cared for.

It's very apparent that this woman has no regard for health or well being...or contraceptives.

It's a simple fact: Some people should not breed.

Should the state control that? No. Because if you allow them to weed out the idiots...it's only a matter of time before they're allowed to define what "idiot" is and come after everyone.

So it's a double edged sword for me...i think they did the right thing in this case...but i certainly don't want it to happen to me. (not that i have to worry...i don't match any of the traits of this "obese" woman)

i strong disagree with this comment, some big people have a thyroid problem and therefore should not be judged for it, i think its totally out of order

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
welcome to socialized health care.. still driven by politics and still subject to peoples individual prejudices.

but, that's the chase for 'beauty' when will they start robbing stick thin women of their children because it's probably apparent they will malnourish and starve them?

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I think it's unconscionable to take a child from his/her parents simply because the parents are fat. Mom needs to set an example and get her child back by any means necessary.

If that were my child..it would be a bad day to be a civil servant, is all I'm sayin'...

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

If you don't believe this can happen in the US, let one person make an annymous call to child protection. You will be under investigation in no time and justifying everything you do.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
One thing I did forget,TPTB,want us fat,sickly and slow.Our food is
genetically altered and chemically laden,we don't stand a chance.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
It's social conditioning all in an effort to make people....better.

Big brother doesn't like fat people.

Neither did Stalin, Mao, Hitler, Pol Pot or anyone in Hollywood.

Clinton likes some junk in the trunk though.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by darkelf

If you don't believe this can happen in the US, let one person make an annymous call to child protection. You will be under investigation in no time and justifying everything you do.

You are very correct in that statement. We had a vindictive B!$th in my neighborhood (drug dealer/murderer/extortion) who had children removed/parents investigated from at least five different families that I know of. She managed to get custody of at least two of the kids. SWo much for Social welfare doing the children any good.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
i have this to say i am 250 pounds and if a goverment pencil pusher tried taking my kid because i am too fat they would find what it feels like to have my who;e weight brought to bear. seriously i can see why my ancestors left merry old england. here is my feelings every poor person in great britain needs to grab there cricket bat and take control back from there corrupt goverment. seriously it seems everyday your goverment is acting like the one from v for vendetta or 1984.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
also who gave the goverment the right to do stupid vtap like this in the first place.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by proteus33

voters did.

when these people were voted into office.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join