It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social workers remove new-born baby from obese mother

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Social workers remove new-born baby from obese mother

www.timesonline.co.uk

Social workers have moved to take into care a baby born to an obese mother.

The mother — who cannot be named in order to protect the identity of the children — gave birth by Caesarean section last week in a Dundee hospital but was told within 24 hours that she would not be allowed to keep the baby.

She has already had the youngest of her six children, aged 3 and 4, removed from her care because social workers feared that they were at risk of becoming obese. The 40-year-old mother weighed 23 stone before falling pregnant.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
So here is my take on all of this. Does the government have the right to remove the children because they think that the children are at risk because of their parents being obese? Part of me says no cause who is to say if the kids will wind up growing into their weight.

Another part of me says yes, cause looking into this whole stone weight thing, at least what I looked up real quick, this family is big and that is not healthy for a young child.

Turns out several of their kids are big, and the family invited social services in to check on their kids cause they wanted help with one of the first five that had a developmental problem.

Your thoughts?

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
3 kids and she can't even control her health?

I don't agree that they should take the kids away, but maybe she needs steralized.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Whose wellbeing are we considering in this question?

the mothers?

The children?

Personally, i think the children will be better off in a foster home where they can be taken care of and cared for.

It's very apparent that this woman has no regard for health or well being...or contraceptives.

It's a simple fact: Some people should not breed.

Should the state control that? No. Because if you allow them to weed out the idiots...it's only a matter of time before they're allowed to define what "idiot" is and come after everyone.

So it's a double edged sword for me...i think they did the right thing in this case...but i certainly don't want it to happen to me. (not that i have to worry...i don't match any of the traits of this "obese" woman)

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
The question is who is this sick person or persons that has the intestinal fortitude to keep knocking up a 23 stone woman. Maybe they should lock him up in the loonie bin.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Finn1916

This is them.

The local council has spent over £100,000 on this family over the years, dealing with all their various "issues". £100,000 ... and that doesn't even include the costs of their social security benefits too.

God help any poor child born to that woman ... for it surely lost the lottery of life at conception.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
My mother is overweight. That doesn't automatically make her a bad mother...

As a young child I was normal weight, by about 13 I was overweight and by 17 I was underweight....I lost a stone in two weeks over the January before I turned 17 (June). Now I'm about normal weight for my height, though it'll probably drop again soon.

She may be a bad mother for other reasons...but weight does not make someone a bad person...

I think people need to stop using logic that says... Is mother over weight...yes...bad parent.

Because it's utterly wrong.

[edit on 23-10-2009 by StevenDye]

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
"The 40-year-old mother weighed 23 stone before falling pregnant."

She didn't "fall" into pregnancy. Where is the father? Why is he not capable of caring for his children.

This is what happens when you give the state control over your health care. Those perceived as "useless eaters" (of health care dollars) start getting weeded out.

If someone came to take my child away from me for any reason at all they'd better bring a pile of body bags....so I can clean up their mess.

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Just because a woman is large doesn't mean she's unfit or incapable of raising loving, healthy, well adjusted children. (I mean in general, there may be other factors HERE). And weight can be very misleading depending on one's body composition.
If I'm not mistaken, one stone is roughly equal to 14lbs....that would only make her 322lbs. While that is technically considered "obese", it's really not all that bad. There are mothers a-plenty here in the states that outweigh that by far. And all this says nothing of her lifestyle, bone structure or muscular composition.

Forgive me if I seem a little quick to defend...but as someone who is also technically considered "obese", this whole situation touches a nerve (and it's more than insulting to make a snap-judgement on one's parenting skills based on their number-weight). I'm 5' 6", I have a flat stomach, I can bench up to my own body weight (which is around 13.5-14 stone), and I only wear about a size 14. And still, current BMI charts list me as "obese". Would this make ME an unfit parent???

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by StevenDye
My mother is overweight. That doesn't automatically make her a bad mother...

As a young child I was normal weight, by about 13 I was overweight and by 17 I was underweight....I lost a stone in two weeks over the January before I turned 17 (June). Now I'm about normal weight for my height, though it'll probably drop again soon.

She may be a bad mother for other reasons...but weight does not make someone a bad person...

I think people need to stop using logic that says... Is mother over weight...yes...bad parent.

Because it's utterly wrong.

[edit on 23-10-2009 by StevenDye]

I think the point is that the children were possibly in bad health and as one poster pointed out, the government has already had to give them money for their health issues and they aren't fixing them.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   

And as I showed by my weights vast changes.... her children may have had these problems regardless of the mothers weight. Her weight is a complete non-issue until it stops her physically being able to be a parent...and 23 stone is nowhere near that figure.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
judging by the photo supplied, they are above average but not morbidly obese.
for gosh sakes offer the family some help, don't split them up...

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I can't believe anyone thinks it's good and that big brother has the right to put children in the system because of weight, unless of course the children are starving.

Are the children happy, going to school? Are they dressed in rags?
Do they get all their nice shots? Otherwize they look healthy to me.

Anyone know what the risks and trama that are involved by placing a child in fostercare? I do.
Do the children get to stay together? They probably love one another.
Even octo gets to keep her kids!
There are other options.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Their only crime is being fat?

The question should be are they good parents.

I didn't know you could take away children for this reason, People still have this strange view of those who are over weight,

I think we have to think of life styles, but also food additives and other factors,

for example,

Scientists today reported new evidence that infection with a common virus may be a contributing factor to the obesity epidemic sweeping through the United States and other countries. In laboratory experiments they showed that infection with human adenovirus-36 (Ad-36), long recognized as a cause of respiratory and eye infections in humans, transforms adult stem cells obtained from fat tissue into fat cells. Stem cells not exposed to the virus, in contrast, were unchanged.

In addition, the study reported identification of a specific gene in the virus that appears to be involved in this obesity-promoting effect. The findings, which could lead to a vaccine or antiviral medication to help fight viral obesity in the future, were presented at the 234th national meeting of the American Chemical Society.

www.scienceblog.com...

Or this,

A recent study conducted in the USA will shock most of you. “In the study, about 51 percent of overweight adults, or roughly 36 million people nationwide, had mostly normal levels of blood pressure, cholesterol, blood fats called triglycerides and blood sugar. Almost one-third of obese adults
, or nearly 20 million people, also were in this healthy range, meaning that none or only one of those measures was abnormal. Yet about a fourth of adults in the recommended-weight range had unhealthy levels of at least two of these measures. That means some 16 million of them are at risk for heart problems. It's no secret that thin people can develop heart-related problems and that fat people often do not. But that millions defy the stereotypes will come as a surprise to many people.”

Is Fat ALWAYS Unhealthy?

As long as you have all the measurements in control and are not constantly increasing in size, you MIGHT be healthy. Fat people can be healthy only if they are fit and active. It is also important to note that fat people can be considered healthy only if they are not grossly obese.
The simple reason that Fat is not usually healthy is that most fat people are inactive. Big bodies do not allow them to work out or lead active lives. A sedentary lifestyle coupled with High BP, High Blood Sugar and High Cholesterol
, makes this the unhealthiest group of all!
But if you are overweight without being so obese that you could hardly walk, you can still be healthy. All you need to focus on is your activity and fitness levels. Experts feel that “Fitness” and not “Weight” is the key factor that marks good health.

Is Thin ALWAYS Healthy?

Most people believe that since fat is unhealthy, thin must necessarily be healthy! Is it?
As the study mentioned above points out, thin people are also exposed to health risks like heart disease, diabetes etc. What’s more, sometimes thin people have fat inside! This is what is referred to as “Visceral Fat” (fat around internal organs) and is considered much more unhealthy than the fat deposited under the skin. Studies point that people who rely on dieting alone to keep weight under control are prone to visceral fat. This means that if you control your weight only by limiting your calories, you might be fat on the inside, with big depositions of fat around your vital organs!!!

memsaab.com...

Venus of Willendorf

witcombe.sbc.edu...

The Goddess of Willendorf, great-bellied giver of life and great-breasted source of nourishment, was also called the Venus of Willendorf. Discovered in Austria by archeologists, she is both the earliest depiction (estimated at 30,000 - 25,000 BCE) of the human form and the first known religious image of the Mother Goddess in all her raw and fertile splendor. Art historians intensely debate the sophistication of her detail, her unknowable face, the dynamism of her braided hair, and her profoundly regal posture.

According to one scholar, the Goddess of Willendorf:
"exhibits... a physical and sexual self that seems unrestrained, unfettered by cultural taboos and social conventions. She is an image of "natural" femaleness, of uninhibited female power, which "civilization," in the figure of the Classical Venus, later sought to curtail and bring under control."

www.goddessgift.com...

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
This is a slippery slope. Anything is potentially a health problem, a parent who smokes, too much fast food, perhaps a child's psychological health could be threatened by a parent who believes in conspiracy theories or the possibility that the government might not be knocking on the door to "Help Them."

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Over weight can be because of health issues like thyroid. My girl friend fought being over weight all through grammer and high school and did not find out it was a under active thyroid until she was in her twenties.

At least here in the USA the GOVERNMENT is the CAUSE of obesity.

Agricultural Policies, Our Health Crisis, and Food Security

The same agricultural policies that made farmers into commodity crop growers are at the root of the current obesity epidemic. According to a report by the Institute for Agricultural and Trade Policy called “Food Without Thought: How US Farm Policy Contributes to Obesity,” “the problem with the extensive use of cheap commodities in food products is that they fall into the very dietary categories that have been linked to obesity: added sugars and fats. US Farm policies driving down the price of these commodities made added sugars and fats some of the cheapest food substances to produce. High fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated vegetable oils – products that did not even exist a few generations ago but are now hard to avoid – have proliferated thanks to artificially cheap corn and soybeans.”[13] In other words, US farm policies make poor eating habits an economically sensible choice – with long-term negative health consequences for consumers and economically devastating consequences for family farmers.

History, HACCP and the food safety con job

If the only problem is obesity the government should not be taking her baby. Given that the official "food pyramid" makes you look like a pyramid it is very likely the "government advice" only made the family more obesity.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Personally i just think people should be sterilized for there benefit.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
What is the definition of an unsafe living environment? Is it strictly mental and physical abuse that obviously inflicts pain on the child?

Playing devil's advocate here -

Obesity is wrong, and a bad lifestyle choice. Doing drugs is also wrong, and a bad lifestyle choice. Alcoholism, prostitution, all bad lifestyle choices and if children are involved in the matter, the children are affected and taken away from the poor living environment.

Are we basing all this on a direct negative impact on the children? I think we still have pretty narrow views on what is harmful to children (isn't that surprising considering all the safety regulations we have). Even when I read the article at first I was like, "ooh, wrong!"

But is it? I thought about it and decided it may not be such a bad decision.

Clearly this woman is unable to take care of herself. She is overweight, and being overweight puts you at risk for more health problems than if you were at a healthy, manageable weight. Kids are very impressionable, and while they may possibly grow and learn about better lifestyle habits, for the first part of their lives, they'll be taking after mom.

Mom eats junk food, presumably doesn't cook healthy meals, may or may not exercise meaning the kids may not get enough play time. This may not seem like a bad thing, just how everyone else lives, right? It's wrong, though. It's wrong because children need to learn proper nutrition or they are at risk for all the same diseases their parents are.

The kids will take after these poor habits and assume they are"okay" because mom does it. They may revolt after awhile. They'll be made fun of, their mom will be picked on in public, they won't like it, it's embarrassing, so maybe they change. Or maybe they don't.

The point is, the children are at risk because they are completely reliant on their mother. They will be learning unhealthy habits and putting their own lives at risk too. Is the job of a social worker to take a child in an unhealthy environment, and put them in a healthy one? If that's the case, I agree with the decision to take her children away. Until she can prove she is capable of teaching her children healthy living habits, raising a child seems far fetched.

Take a step back for a minute. Forget she's obese. Think of this as an issue of child safety (because essentially, it is), not a woman who is fat getting her children taken away. This is way deeper than that.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Morbid obesity is a health problem, but this woman is not morbidly obese. I am leaning twords the idea that this whole "obesity problem" buildup is just a scam to make money. Just yesterday in my local paper( The Arizona Republic) they had a story about how local ambulances are going to start charging more to transport an obese patient. In the same paper they had a story about three new obesity drugs being available to overweight patients. Last summer I ran into a woman who was traveling the country in a hideous vehicle plastered with cigarrete info and painted up to look like some darn hippy-mobile. Being the outgoing fellow that I am I walked up and introduced myself( with my wife's consent, of course) and asked her what in the blazes led her to do what she is doing. She gave me some pamphlets and explained that all the smoking ban referendums on all the state ballots were at least partially being funded by drug companies that held the patents for the most popular drugs that helped people quit smoking, and she then said that it won't end at smoking...they have many obesity drugs they want to market, and that was their next target for legislation. I thought she was a kook at the time, but I am now rethinking that assessment.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Holy #, What are we coming to in this world, G.B some of you had a fit when the BBC allowed the BNP party to come on the telly. But you are actually advocating the government to take children away from a mother who is to fat, or to sterilize her.... Some of you need a good smack in the face with common sense followed up by a kick in the head for being just plain stupid.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join