It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the end of evolution?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Originally posted by dunwichwitch
reply to post by Aggie Man

Evolution is neverending. Yes we do evolve based on consciousness.

Everything is consciousness. It's one mind. It's your mind. It's my mind.

We choose where we go. We fear what we do not understand. Once we see the light, we repel from it. Some go their whole lives repelling from it. Why? They fear it! They don't understand that this isn't something new. It is and has always been this way. So why not operate alongside it?

Stay in the half-light.

You clearly are not a geneticist. Have you even studied evolution/genetics? The fallacy in your logic is that we have control over external stimuli...we do not. Even if we did, evolution is not something one experiences in one's own lifetime. You are born the way nature intended you to be born...and genetically speaking, we remain that way until we die. During the process of procreation, we pass on our genetics and in that process there is something called genetic recombination....that, my friend, is uncontrollable and is totally random. Nature selects the fittest (those with traits favorable to the environmental conditions).

EDIT: it sounds to me like you are talking about a spiritual awakening. That is not evolution and it can not be passed on via genetics.

[edit on 23-10-2009 by Aggie Man]

Ok. same question to you. Have you ever studied spirituality with the same exuberence that you study genetics? Your right with the next line. We have no control over external stimuli. So evolution is based on something that no one will ever experience...scratching my head but still trying to stay with you. So since nature selects only the fittest traits it is totally random? I am sorry but that does not sound remotely random. Anyway nice try, you did your best.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

Blew my mind. You are a teacher. I bow to you. Very nice.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Could you then use the textbook definition of evolution please. I am not really to sure what the actual definition is. It could be very helpful in this thread.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I like the way you break things down. Very easy to understand. Which means very good form.
Very nice.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

Originally posted by Conclusion

Evolution. Evolving continually in order to survive. The survival of the fittest. What if there was no global catastrophic event happens to halt it. Then evolution would be continual. No end. We would be evolving through Infinity.

Actually, I think it'd be the opposite.

Evolution is all about groups of one species having to change to adapt to a changing environment. If there was no change then there would be no evolution.

It's catastrophes that speed up evolution - though they don't need to be global. Hence 2 groups of the same species my find themselves seperated. One experiences a change in environment and evolves to survive it, the other does not. Thus a new species appears - but it's ancestral species may still exist (hence, homo sapien may have coexisted on Earth alongside homo erectus)

With no environmental change there will nbe little or no evolution. Without the odd meterorite impact, flood basalt eruption or plate tectonics we'd still all be dinosaurs.

Very nice point. Extremely well thought out. Way to use your mind. Ok down to the point

I didn't say no change would occur, I was eliminating any chance for the end of evolution.

So with evolutionary changes to survive better in an environment alludes to improving the physical attributes of the body to survive. What about the mental attributes? From a scientific viewpoint man use to think wrong because religion explained everything, but now we think right because science explains things. That would have to be a mental evolution or we would still think the way we did.

No not dinosaurs. Evolution would have stepped up and evolved them the same way primates evolved. Unless it only works on one set of species which would put a very big wrench into the cog. Nice try and again I like the way you think.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

If evolution is not beneficial in some cases, and can be proven not to be beneficial in some cases, then there in lies the evidence for a court to appoint evolution guilty of deceit.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

There is no destination for us to reach. The destination is only a human virtue. The purpose of life is to live. There is no other purpose.

That's just a little boring. You'll forgive me if I disagree and continue my existence expecting something new over the next horizon.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mike_A
reply to post by Conclusion

What I meant was that evolution does not follow a linear path of forms.

In other words it doesn't go amoeba > fish > mammal > human etc

The future evolution of of any organism today cannot be predicted because it depends on environmental drivers that are currently unknown. It may be that our evolutionary future is back to something like a chimp, if that's what the future environment favours.

You are a sharp one. So if the Earth was dieing our bodies would need to evolve in order to survive.[/quote

But we can't choose to evolve nor can an organism “sense” that it needs to change it depends on a random change in our genes to occur that allows us to survive better in the given environment.

But then that would be de-evolution. But that is a good point.

# development: a process in which something passes by degrees to a different stage (especially a more advanced or mature stage); "the development of ...
# (biology) the sequence of events involved in the evolutionary development of a species or taxonomic group of organisms
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

By definition evolution will especially go toward a more advanced stage so de-evolving back to primates could not happen.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Lol. Now your talking.. I like that. Very eloquent.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by spy66

No we're not. You must not be terribly familiar with human behavior at all
Hate to tell all the woo-woo dreamers and would-be rock band gurus on this thread... but about 80% (rough estimate) of the stuff you do every day is an automated, instinctual response to stimuli in your environment. We are animals. We behave like animals, we respond like animals, we live, breed, and die like animals and carry the exact same urges and drives.

Trying to pretend you're something special is a sign of insecurity in your own nature

Our human behavior is done by our own choice. How we act and interact is done by choice. Your personality is yours by choice. You can also change your personality by creating a new one. No other animal can do what we can do with our mind. And no other animal has the ability to make the choices that we can make.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

Our human behavior is done by our own choice. How we act and interact is done by choice. Your personality is yours by choice. You can also change your personality by creating a new one. No other animal can do what we can do with our mind. And no other animal has the ability to make the choices that we can make.

You have a distinct quality, of taking something utterly beautiful and completely unpredictable and rendering it into a single topping pizza.

Unique of the many I have seen here but... and I am sorry, it is without a single redeeming value. I might as well fall on my tire iron as work for the next sunrise.

No thanks

[edit on 23-10-2009 by redoubt]

[edit on 23-10-2009 by redoubt]

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

I like the way you break things down. Very easy to understand. Which means very good form.
Very nice.

Thanks - you're one of a few to appreciate it.

Its a style I termed "short tacks" - make your point in ten words or less.

Simplicity = clear sight.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZenOnKwalsky
sorry but cant stayn silent

There is one flaw in Your reasoning- if there was such a thing as evolution, and we are not quite sure, the Evolution as postulated by the sciencists is over for the human kind...at least for the the Westen Culture and civilised parts of it we can say more about de-Evolution...
Why? simply: evolution is the survival of the fittest...where you can see it in the West?? The new born deaths rate is infinitely close to zero. And teoreticly the fittest as winner always is able to spread his genes to the next generations.
How many top sciencists has more than 1-2 children?? And who is breeding without limit??? Atetntion!- Im not judging them but the final product of our world will be not pure energy but rather the social aid "raper" peoples...

Now we are getting somewhere. So with that I assume that you believe that if it were true then only the ones who can cram scientific information into their mind would be the ones likely to evolve. The rest left behind. Hmm. So you do not believe that man's conscience evolves? Since we know we are conscience it has to be a part of us. So if we evolve at all then the conscience follows along. I have showed in an earlier thread that the definition of Evolution shows de-evolution cannot happen.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Like others have already said, animals (including humans) dont necessarily 'keep evolving' if they already survive and function in their environment. There is no need to.

A good example of this is the 'Great white shark' which has survived for millions of years unchanged because it is already perfectly suited to its environment.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAF101
Scientifically speaking the natural end to evolution is extinction.

All creatures are meant to get extinct.

As for modern day humanity, due to medical science and the like, one may be duped into thinking that we as a species are not evolving but on the contrary evolution is an ongoing process. Some evolutionary mutants may be ignored if they severely affect a person's life but other favorable mutations that make people smarter, stronger etc are allowed to propagate through out the human gene pool.

Pretty soon when selective embryonic genes can be manipulated, most babies will have all the negative traits taken out of their DNA eliminating the need for a LOT of medical care. In essence humanity will be able to direct its own evolutionary path.

Ultimately, it is not nature but humanity itself that will decide what we will become as a species.

You are saying everyone is born to die. You are correct.

You say pretty soon with selective embryonic gene manipulation. Any guess as to how long? Just curious.

Humanity in control of evolution. Plus with the evolution already taking place and then the gene manipulation.... ladies and gentlemen I believe this man have coined a new word. Mega-Evolution. Nicely played.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
Death of thought.

As I believe nothing really exists but energy - intelligent conscious energy.

That everything is an illusion created by energy thought. Only Death of thought - cease of energy existence is the end of all.

Have you ever taken a science class? You would learn that there is much more to life than intelligent energy. Yes, everything exists because particles have energy, but it forms a much more complex system. This concept makes no sense.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by sicklecell
Like others have already said, animals (including humans) dont necessarily 'keep evolving' if they already survive and function in their environment. There is no need to.

A good example of this is the 'Great white shark' which has survived for millions of years unchanged because it is already perfectly suited to its environment.

I don't buy that.

Evolution is based on an ever-changing set of circumstances. The shark may be temporarily in perfect tune, but the environment in which it exists is always changing. To become the stone that does not roll is to gather moss. To be a person that does not chance to evolve; to change... that remains content, is the living corpse that attracts flies.

The end product is somewhere else... and we ain't been there yet. Each day offers new possibility and with each possibility, a new chance to take a step away from those damned flies.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by sicklecell

But what is millions of years in regards to infinite evolution.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Dang it. Your reply was better than mine. lol. Good job.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

reply to post by redoubt

Dang it. Your reply was better than mine. lol. Good job.

Thanks... but yours was more concise. I do tend to ramble...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join