It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Patriots' can try to capture Obama in new online game

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   

'Patriots' can try to capture Obama in new online game

rawstory.com

The multi-player online game "2011: Obama's Coup Fails," is set in a time where Obama is trying to toss out the Constitution, ban guns and merge the U.S. with Canada and Mexico into a "North American Union." (See image right; click to view larger version.)

The game creators, which include 40-year-old Brooklyn resident Michael Russotto, tell Mother Jones magazine they're not trying to capitalize on "anti-Obama paranoia," but rather get "the most publicity."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Oh boy....This is going to create some waves.

How soon until the makers of this game are branded as "domestic radical terrorists"?

I bet this will likely have some repurcussions soon enough. If they are not ALREADY under surveillance, I would be quite surprised.

What does everyone think? Allowable under freedom of expression? Or does this violate, and give the people bad ideas?

Thoughts?

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Can I play as Dick Cheney? LOL

If the game allows you to virtually ki ll the prz or other members of govt then the SS would probably have to step in. Otherwise I'd guess it's harmless.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I'll be curious to see if the feigned outrage sticks or if it just vanishes overnight as it did with the JFK game, Columbine game, countless neo-nazi games, etc...

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Im going to have to try this game when I get home. Thansk for the link..

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Most of these games are utter trash, and/or are completely unpopular and nearly "underground" so to speak. They don't represent "games" as a whole nor do they even remotely connect to the actual gaming industry, which is gargantuan by the way.

It's akin to a high-school student writing an essay about assassinating the president and then relating it to a shelved novel, thus likening it to the "book industry". Some of these games are literally made by 1 or 2 men in their basement. The Columbine game is archaic and anyone with basic knowledge could create it in a month.

These people need to just let it be.. Games are creating their own art status, we don't burn books so we're not going to be "burning" games either. Too many people will not let it happen.

The Kennedy Assassination game had some production value and graphical quality, but it was still rather simple. Most hardcore gamers haven't even heard of it either... Nearly everything else is like a craptastic DOS or Flash game. Creative in their own right, but hardly good games by any standard.

Another classic case of the old farts not keeping up with the game (pun intended) and authoritarians grasping for straws.

[edit on 23-10-2009 by SyphonX]

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I just signed up and am going to go play it for awhile to see what I think.
Thanks op for the heads up on an interesting game.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
If anything the SS or FBI will be monitoring and pulling IP's of those who play.....STEER CLEAR! This smells like a big trap, kinda like the old "you won a free TV" snare. Even though I may disagree with some of ya, I don't wanna see anyone here wind up in jail or gitmo. From my past experience this has all the markings guys and gals.

[edit on 23-10-2009 by djvexd]

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by SyphonX
Just let it be.. Games are creating their own art status, we don't burn books so we're not going to be "burning" games either. Too many people will not let it happen.

Games had their chance at "art" status years ago when it was still difficult and took care and patience to create like Half Life and Unreal.

Sure there are still some contenders like BioShock and Portal but the vast majority of games are pointless "shoot that" fests with a bunch of screaming 12 year olds. The market is flooded with crap. Soulless trash lines the shelves of shops worldwide making it more difficult for quality to be recognized for what it is. The trash to quality ratio is outrageous.

As far as burning games goes take one look at Australia. Australia has the highest number of banned games of any country. They're actively banning titles as we speak with little or no public outrage. Mere steps away from burning and confiscation.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Games had their chance at "art" status years ago when it was still difficult and took care and patience to create like Half Life and Unreal.

Sure there are still some contenders like BioShock and Portal but the vast majority of games are pointless "shoot that" fests with a bunch of screaming 12 year olds. The market is flooded with crap.

Are you kidding me?

maybe your one of those PC Gamers type of characters
switch over from the dark side onto console gaming man

Gears of War
Wet
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead pt. 2 (now banned in Australia) - not out yet
Burnout Paradise
Prince of Persia
Gears of War 2

EVERY CALL OF DUTY EVER CREATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden 2
Soon Ninja Gaiden 3
Devil May Cry 1, 2, 3, 4

DUDE...................................

There's so many awesome games
leave the PC gaming world, that world sucsk

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Sir I think you need to hold your tongue about the PC Gamers.

I have both pc and a ps3. And I was a DOS gamer long before that.
Star worthy games list though

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I saw/see/seen, that advertised on drudge the other day,

Is life getting stranger, or is it me?

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Sure there are still some contenders like BioShock and Portal but the vast majority of games are pointless "shoot that" fests with a bunch of screaming 12 year olds. The market is flooded with crap. Soulless trash lines the shelves of shops worldwide making it more difficult for quality to be recognized for what it is. The trash to quality ratio is outrageous.

The rate of which quality video games of which you speak are released is virtually unchanged. It still takes years to complete and test a GOOD game like BioShock or Call of Duty.

But i believe where your criticism falls a little short is that years and years ago when video games were still - for the most part - under ground...those were bad times for gaming.

Now gaming is EVERYWHERE, as it should be. Just because a lot of crap games get released doesn't mean the video game market is crap.

What i mean is that when NES was first launched, it only had 18 titles to choose from...and even of those 18, only about 7 can be argued as "good games" the rest were cheap run of the mill marglark that have all but disappeared.

And at its height, the NES only had 788 games after years of market dominance.

And lets not forget that the NES had its fair share (well more than half) of completely crap games that few people have heard of, and even fewer people ever played.

The # of games that were around when the 360 was released is debatable...depending on if you want to count the games from the regular xbox or not.

But there are well over 700 games for the 360 currently - and just like the NES - many of them are crap, yes, but many of them are great, and light years beyond anything we could ever have dreamed of in 1985.

Also keep in mind that just because a game is unpopular and few people play it, doesn't mean it didn't make a profit.

Stores like Wal-Mart and Target are still going to buy it up to fill their shelves and that puts $$ in the developers pockets, which helps stimulate the video game industry to become the billion dollar industry that it is.

Without those crap games, who knows where we'd be.

And your comment about "The trash to quality ratio is outrageous"

What do you expect? If EVERY game were marvelous like BioShock or World of Warcraft, then EVERY game would suck, because NOTHING would be better than anything else.

Without trash you can't appreciate quality.

If you dont like video games for what they are - don't play them.
Nobody is forcing you to buy "Fallout 3" anymore than they're forcing you to buy "Hannah Montana". But just because YOU won't get enjoyment out of the latter doesn't mean a 9 year old somewhere won't. Which is why what you call "trash" someone else calls "fun" and helps make the industry that much larger.

If the market took the same narrow-minded approach to gaming that you seem to - we'd all still be playing donkey kong, because there never would have been a mass-market push to create a prettier game. Never would have been a mass-audience reach with games like "Wii party".

Games like Wii-Party (which im sure you'd condemn) are what makes our industry so large.

People who never would otherwise pick up a controller, are suddenly calling themselves gamers because they own a wii, or because they can play "Orange county choppers" and have an enjoyable time.

If the only gamers out there were ones who liked games like BioShock...there wouldn't be games like Bioshock, because there wouldn't be a market that demanded it.

Its very simple.

[edit on 23-10-2009 by Snarf]

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Controversial games have existed forever. But I agree with whoever said this might be a trap. In light of the current administration's labeling of the certain types of people "domestic terrorists" it's very likely that the PTB are watching whoever is downloading this game. At the very least, it would put you on the radar (if being a member of this site doesn't already).

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
What does everyone think? Allowable under freedom of expression? Or does this violate, and give the people bad ideas?

I don't see how the actions in this game are more illegal than those in Grand Theft Auto. It's pretty hard to stoop lower than the gutter.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
S&F, This thread is going places.

That's a great idea, I can't wait to see how the administration will act act towards this (if at all). If they are labeled as domestic terrorists I got their back 100%.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I'll play the derail the thread game. Why not? It's Friday after all and my desk is clear.

The funny thing is that most if not all of the games on your list are multi-platform inclusive of PC.

I've had my consoles since Pong. Even branched out so far as to have a Turbo Grafix and 3DO if you can believe it. And currently have an Xbox 360. Which I never touch because the same games are $10 cheaper, look and run better, have free DLC and I am not inundated with the homophobic, racist and often unintelligible ramblings of pre-pubescent mental patients over Live.

Art is relative. For a game to qualify as art to me it must have an immersive narrative, make you reflect as well as have those "oh wow" moments, be able to tell a new story or an old story in a new way, carry the player through emotional ups and downs, have character attachment, to name a few criteria I look for.

Gears had a good bit of that and was a worthwhile endeavor. DMC and Wet are just hack-n-slash trash designed to distract people with short attention spans, COD has it's ups and downs and I will gladly label the first Modern Warfare title art for it's SP narrative and player immersion, L4D is just fun. I'd class it more as a pop-art item like a Warhol or a Lord of the Rings movie nice but no Sistine Chapel. When you say Ninja Gaiden 1,2,3 I think if climbing red walls while avoiding gargoyles in 1980 something. I've heard and read good things about the new Prince of Persia games but I honestly dont care to play one.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Controversial games have existed forever. But I agree with whoever said this might be a trap. In light of the current administration's labeling of the certain types of people "domestic terrorists" it's very likely that the PTB are watching whoever is downloading this game. At the very least, it would put you on the radar (if being a member of this site doesn't already).

I don't play games, I never thought of it being a trap.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
How dare these traitors attack our President during a time of war? Why do they support the terrorists? They are endangering our troops by not supporting Obama. If these traitors don't like our constitution then they should leave this country! Why do they hate America so much?

Remember that? (with the president changed) It wasn't that long ago you heard it every day, every hour on Fox news.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I can't play.

I'm still playing the "throw your shoe at Bush" game.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join