It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you 7'd yet ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
My colleague that is using the EeePC says he notices a slightly longer battery life (around 5 working hours, using SQLServer, IIS and Visual Studio 2005, without anything turned off), but he doesn't notice anything else.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
No, I haven't 7'ed. I don't expect to either, since I don't want mutant zephlopods from Uranus to utilize the firewall breaches to access the remains of my brains.

Short answer: I would still be using Win98 if I could. Some rat BAStard always has to go and CHANGE things that work.

rabble rabble rabble

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
A BIG note for win 7 upgraders,

You can go from same level xp/vista to same level win 7
(vista business to win 7 pro)

You, however, can not downgrade
(you can't go from vista ultimate to win 7 basic)
As a direct upgrade-meaning drop in disk and all programs data stays.

This MAY bite a few people in the read end

Just my FYI

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
OK, I was told that may not be as clear as I think it is, here is a link to show what version of vista = what version of win 7.

Should be easy, right? Should be, but isn't. Here's how it works. Anyone using a valid, activated version of Windows Vista (or XP) qualifies for any Windows 7 Upgrade version. But in order to perform a "true" (or "in-place") upgrade, you must be upgrading to an equivalent, or higher-end, Windows 7 version

Looking at this chart, you can see that an in-place upgrade from, say, Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium is perfectly acceptable. As is an in-place upgrade from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate.

But what if you want to upgrade from Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Home Premium? In that and other similar cases, an in-place upgrade is impossible. So you will have to perform a migration,

Techamok

Here is another site that has more details.
It also deals with win 32bit and 64 bit issues. REALLY worth a read.
Winsupersite

READ this BEFORE you purchase win 7 for your computer!!!!

Now, lets hear it for the ATS dancers:

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I've received my W7 Upgrade Disc.

I'm afraid to try it though. I just know I'll screw it up somehow.

What to do !!!!:bnghd:

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Success !!!!

I did it... I did it...

Installed windows 7 on my Laptop. No problems !!!!!

Yay for me.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Yes I have.
It installed easily.
Runs nice and fast,supports hardware well.
Has tons of Apps and Games.
and there free.
Mint 7 is great

Mint 8 rc1 works pretty good too.
My overall cost was "zero"
lol

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Stillalive

I get the impression that the Windows 7 launch is a lot like seeing an old girlfriend suddenly show up on your doorstep wanting to get back together. She's had some work done, apparently: stomach stapling to take off some of the weight, breast augmentation, and a radical nosejob to make her look as much like your current girlfriend as medical science will allow.

Did you write that ?

slashbot.blogspot.com...

[edit on 19-11-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Ok... first problem.

My sound has stopped working.

It didn't happen until after I installed windows updates.

hmmm...

I DL'd the driver from HP, it didn't intsall though. I'm going to try it again this weekend.

Other than that, everything is good.

I've also noticed that my system seems to be faster with W7.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Win 7 is a lighter os compared to Vista.

Don't laugh, try downloading Vista sound drivers...

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Well as you know I am now on the PC side
and my laptop came with this OS....and when I started my computer I laughed because 7 reminds me of Apple...lol Yeah I think they copied a little of the design and style from Leopard, sticky notes are an Apple thing and I am actually really glad they have them on here because I used them ALL the time on my Apple...Im ok with Windows but I prefer my Apple...This will do until my Apple is fixed. So far I havent had any problems but I have only had it for 5 days so we shall see what happens...I might be frequenting this forum a little bit more now..lol

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

I just read that on another forum. I'll be trying it tonight.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I bought a new computer with W7 installed.

Everything is fine, I guess, except that there is no sound--not in my powered Bose speakers and not from the headphone jack.

I downloaded a driver from Realtek and still no sound.

I can't express enough how useless a soundless computer is to me.

I'm calling HP in a few minutes and they better have a fix or there's going to be some fireworks over this.

I will say that W7 is in my opinion overly glitzy, but the new machine is both fast and quiet. It'd probably be faster with XP and although quiet is nice, as in no fan noise, the lack of sound is idiotic.

How could anyone release an OS with no sound?

I doubt if it's the hardware becuase I've seen too many complaints on the web dating from Spring and all the diagnostics I've done indicate that the drivers are correct, etc.

[edit on 2009/11/20 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Okay, I've got egg all over my face.

I just spent almost an hour and a half on the phone with an HP tech who was the nicest person I've talked to in a long time. She was courteous and patient with me through the whole process as we went through all the diagnostics that I'd done earlier myself.

In the end, she asked me to look at the rear speaker ports and to read what they said. It was then that I realized that after having checked those ports several times myself that my color-blindness and my old eyes had led me to plug the speaker plug into the wrong port.

With more light and my reading glasses, I could see that the port said "side" and I knew immediately that that was wrong. I found the "out" port and realized that it was indeed green.

I have this problem from time to time telling shades of green and red and this was a very embarrassing example.

Let no one tell you that HP tech support sucks.

If I could have kissed that young lady from India, I sure would have.

She was gracious and accommodating throughout and as happy as I was to have found the problem.

[edit on 2009/11/20 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Sound is working.

I don't know what did it...

I tried the W7 Driver, Vista Driver, neither would install.

I tried a MS fix, DL'd it and nothing.

So last night I stopped worrying about it. Went to bed. Got up this morning
turned on the laptop and the driver installed itself and I have sound.

Yahooooooooooo

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I am glad your sound is up and working.

This is a warning about Vista (I feel so dirty saying that) and win 7 and the way they work.

Almost "ALL" software added, updates, programs, drivers....... requires the system to be rebooted.
In fact, more so than older operating systems.

Yes, I know, Vista and then win 7 were supposed to be able to load software and NOT have to reboot, however.................. it simply has not come through.

If this ends up being our biggest issue, I say we are doing well.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I did an upgrade from vista to 7 and all is well. Only thing I did not like was that the homegroup feature created a password for me. I am sure there is a way to manually create one that I choose but I am too lazy to look and I only have the one 7 laptop. Untill I get another 7, I will just stick to my workgroup.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Can't believe i just paid 20€ for the delivery of my "free" w7 update. :bnghd:

This better be good...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join