It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you 7'd yet ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Windows 7 was released yesterday.

I'm expecting my free upgrade any day now. I had purchased a new laptop that qualified for a free 7 updgrade. woo hoo, I can't wait.

So, did anyone purchase 7 yesterday, installed it yet?

Success or horror stories welcomed.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Well im on my 3rd new laptop in a month having bought and returned a macbook and a sony vaio nw11s and just purchased a hp dv7 2230 which comes with windows 7 so I will be using it shortly.

Been on vista for two years and never had a problem that springs to mind to be honest but I hear windows 7 is faster and slicker so will find out soon enough.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
i'll be claiming my free upgrade from dell tonight, I tried last night but there site was running soooo slooow

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I applied for my free upgrade from dell a long time ago. Now that windows 7 is out they were supposed to mail me or something, but i got nothing yet. And their site is not working at all for me. Anyone know what's up with that?

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I get the impression that the Windows 7 launch is a lot like seeing an old girlfriend suddenly show up on your doorstep wanting to get back together. She's had some work done, apparently: stomach stapling to take off some of the weight, breast augmentation, and a radical nosejob to make her look as much like your current girlfriend as medical science will allow.

She's pretty, of course, almost too pretty. She still wears far too much makeup and carries that desperate look in her eyes. The fragrant haze around her is the perfume she overuses to mask the scent of failure.

But standing there in that low-cut top, you'd almost forget for a moment what a psycho she was- how she used to shut down in the middle of a date and forget everything you were talking about and how she was only happy when you were buying her things. You'd almost forget about carrying around her legacy baggage or those nights when, for seemingly no reason at all, she would simply stop speaking to you and when you asked what was wrong she'd just spit a string of hex code at you and expect you to figure it out.

You complained about her for years before finally deciding to get rid of her, and here she is again. Though, somehow she seems like a completely different person now.

"I'm up here," she says when she catches you staring at her chest.

Tempted though you may be, you know that over time she'll get bored and slow down on you just like she always does. And then you'll be right back where you started: trapped. She keeps you by convincing you that you don't have a choice. You're just not smart enough for one option or rich enough to afford the other.

"But I'm different now," she says, batting her eyes innocently. "I've changed."

Indeed she has. Apparently, she's really into Cabala now or something like that. It's helped her discover loads of untapped potential in herself. But it also means that you'll have to buy all new furniture to fit with her understanding of feng shui. That's not the only change she has in store for you. The minute you let her move in, she'll have a new alarm system put in that succeeds only in preventing your friends from coming over on poker night.

She doesn't love you, but she doesn't hate you, either. The truth is that she couldn't care less one way or the other. She's here because she doesn't want to be alone. Like all human beings, especially those well past their prime, she wants to feel wanted and, after a string of lost jobs and bad investments, she needs a place to stay.

But all in all, she's OK. She's a seven. She'll do, I guess.

WINDOWS 7 DOMINANCE ...mac homosexuals XD

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Wallachian

When you applied for the upgrade, a couple of days later, you should have received an email stating it was accepted or rejected.

THe disc was to ship on October 22nd.

I'll post as soon as mine arrives.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
i use macs at work,and panther,not the shiny leo,snow leo.
i like the dock,and i like finder,the looks,the shiny stuff,the folder colors and stuff.
sure its more easy to use,it dosnt need much knowledge,and "the chicks love it".
its like a safe tricycle. windows on the other hand is like a speed motorcycle.
u can customize it,u can tweak it,you can make better work with it,if u just follow my tips for newbies that i have provided 1000 TIMES.
osx is pretty,that why im using object dock on my 64bit windows 7.
but u cant play games on a mac,u cant customize,and its a closed system,closed from the world. its great for creative stuff,and great feature that lets u see all windows (f9 or something).
but its too EXPENSIVE,my boss always laughts that i use windows7 pc,well my pc is more powerfull,costs 4 times less and my tuned 7 can PWN the osx at work,i do the job at home alot faster.
its funny how people dont want to learn to use windows,but when they get a apple product they study it like its a holy shrine.
well ok if u have so much money to waste and dont want to learn anything fine get a mac.
theyr all identical,you cant even get a diferent case or fan or something XD

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
and now to microsoft and windows 7.
microsoft sure SUX,they have no love for they customers,they tried screwing us again with the exploit in firefox...VERY LOW MICROSOFT! thats why people start usign macs.
windows 7 is great,its the vista that they didnt had time to finish.
its fast just as xp,more beautifull,virus free (especialy 64),compatible with everything,its just great.
there are allready nice tools for 7 64 bit:
CCleaner free 64
threadfire free 64
iobit smartdefrag free 64
malwarebytes free 64
cleanmypc -not free 64
these are the best 64bit tools for windows 7,antivirus,antispyware,defrag,and registry fix,with them...you dont need a mac
thank you for the applause

[edit on 23-10-2009 by Stillalive]

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
As the company where I work is a Microsoft Action Pack subscriber we have (since Monday) the possibility of downloading and installing 10 licences for Windows 7 professional and 1 Ultimate.

I left the download running and when now that it has finished successfully it will be installed on Monday on a Asus EeePC (that has been running Vista).

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
an eepc running vista O_O how hanst it exploded yet needless to say the worklflow will be a lot faster now

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Stillalive

That's the idea, to see if it's faster and if it is then replace Vista.

And the EeePC is not that slow, specially since it got a memory upgrade to 2Gb, perfectly usable, and even while running SQL Server 2005.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
2gb daaamn thats a lot,i though theyr cheap little slow laptops

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Quick question:

It's my understanding the "wiping" the computer is something much different than simply upgrading, correct?

I was advised by Computer Science professor to do a full wipe of the laptop and than install W7 rather than the typical upgrade.

Frankly, I'm concerned about fully wiping the laptop because if something goes wrong, I would have no idea how to fix it and I cannot be without it, at present.

However, it would be very nice to get rid of the "bloat" and extras that are unnecessary clogs as well as avoid any problems that happen in an upgrade situation.

Any thoughts?

ETA: I have also considered running Ubuntu as that was also recommended by same Prof. but haven't followed up on that...

[edit on 24-10-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

I checked and i did get an email at the time i applied for the upgrade, saying my application was accepted. Now dell says i should get an email when the upgrade is available for me to order, but no such email came yet.

Maybe it's different for me, I live in Germany...

I can already see it will still take a loooong time.

[edit on 24-10-2009 by Wallachian]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
dont worry just put the cd and follow the instructions
you can even start the install from the desktop of the old windows.
i used to clean install my windows running it from a virtual drive.
it just asks u stuff,then the pc restarts,and ask u which drive to install,the computer wil restart several times,just do what hes telling you.
and if the screen to choose operation system comes,leave it DO NOT press anything,he knows what to do,if u choose something u WILL screw it

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

You either have a restore disk or partion, depending on what brand/model laptop you have.

Even if you can't get win 7 to run, you can reload your laptop to factory fresh.

I would suggest you back up all data (video's, music, documents....) and put them together with the disks of the programs you have loaded.

I put win 7 on my laptop and it runs like a top compared to vista.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

Sweet! Glad to hear it is working well for you. Been also following your thread.

As for restore: my laptop did not come with disks, just a note that says it has a "new system recovery feature" that does not require CD. Also an option to burn one's own recovery CD... so, before upgrading, I will do this.

Thanks again!

S~

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
The installation on the EeePC went as expected, without any problem, and now it even has the Aero interface.

Tomorrow it will be starting working as usual (today was only for installation of the OS, SQL Server 2005 Express Edition, activating and configuring IIS and installing other necessary programs), so I can tell you tomorrow what is the opinion of the guy that has been working with it for several months with Vista.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
hey el...

I think the real question is have YOU 7'd yet...

store making El wait for his win 7

[edit on 10/29/2009 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

I just received an email today, I should receive my W7 in the middle of Nov.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join