It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Found: first 'skylight' on the moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
My apologies if this has been previously posted. I saw this story this morning and figured I would share with you all. We have seen holes in Mars and holes on Earth. Now we have a peculiar hole on the moon pictured below.

Here is an excerpt from the article:

A deep hole on the moon that could open into a vast underground tunnel has been found for the first time. The discovery strengthens evidence for subsurface, lava-carved channels that could shield future human colonists from space radiation and other hazards.

The moon seems to possess long, winding tunnels called lava tubes that are similar to structures seen on Earth. They are created when the top of a stream of molten rock solidifies and the lava inside drains away, leaving a hollow tube of rock.

I am not making any claims as to what it is, other than a cave opening. I will let you all form your own opinions as to the nature of this "Hole"

Source:www.newscientist.com...

Enjoy!

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Lava tubes would probably be a great way to set up habitats... and much cheaper than constructing artificial domes. There's probably water down there too!

IRM

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I have an irrational fear of holes in the ground, especially large and deep ones.
Looks like I'll be stuck on earth while you're all living on the moon.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Good pic! To me it looks like some serious NASA photoshopping.

-E-
P.S. I'ts going to be fun watching my Horns put a hurtin on your Aggies this year!

[edit on 23-10-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysterE
reply to post by Aggie Man

Good pic! To me it looks like some serious NASA photoshopping.

-E-
P.S. I'ts going to be fun watching my Horns put a hurtin on your Aggies this year!

[edit on 23-10-2009 by MysterE]

So the talk has begun
You know the Aggie are out classed this year...but they are a young team. I will cede the game this year. BUT, the Aggies & Longhorns always play a tough game and have both knocked one another down the rankings in years past.

On topic, yes it does appear that NASA "developed" that image with the old "photoshop-a-tron 3000"

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I was reading an article on popsci.com about this very subject just a few mintues ago, and happened to look over and see another little blurb about the most recent lunar foray and how there were misteriously no pictures from the "moon bombing." That got me thinking: what if the Centaur lunar module was not designed to kick up moon dust in an effort to find water as we were told? What if it was designed to blow straight through the surface and start exploring those tunnels? What if they know something about the tunnels that they aren't telling us? The search for water, to me, would seem like a much more valient undertaking that the majority of people wouldn't have a hard time getting on board with. Searching a vast netowork of underground tunnels though might take some more effort on the part of the populace to wrap their minds around and come to terms with.

Here's the original article, it pretty much says the same thing as the OP's article, but there is a lot of other really cool stuff on the website: Newly Discovered Network of Moon Tunnels Could House Lunar Colonists

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

top topics

join