It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ET Needs to put an end to religion

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
When ET arrives and shows themselves to us i am hopefully wishing them to show how our galaxy started, to prove evolution and explain to us that god does not exist.

Ive just realisded what a big problem religion is, its like the voice in your head demanding you must do this and that, and an old book dominating your life..

You must live like this or you will burn in hellfire forever and ever.

So come on ET put everyone out of there misery.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
When ET arrives and shows themselves to us i am hopefully wishing them to show how our galaxy started, to prove evolution and explain to us that god does not exist.

Ive just realisded what a big problem religion is, its like the voice in your head demanding you must do this and that, and an old book dominating your life..

You must live like this or you will burn in hellfire forever and ever.

Be careful what you wish for. The same oppression you wish upon those of faith could come around and work its magic on you too.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   
What about the religious-like UFOlogy where aliens are worshipped as if they are God? "The aliens will come save us". "The aliens have all the answers". "The aliens will show us the way".

"You must live like this or you will burn in hellfire forever and ever." A literal torment in a burning hell is not true.

Seek out knowledge. Don't wallow in self ignorance.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blueracer
What about the religious-like UFOlogy where aliens are worshipped as if they are God? "The aliens will come save us". "The aliens have all the answers". "The aliens will show us the way".

Exactly. One step further, what if ET arrives wearing a white mantle with a big red cross? What if the message they have is that God does exist? What then?

And besides all that, faith has never been about proof. That's why it is called faith. ET can say anything and the devout believer will not be moved.

And you know what else? That's their right... God given or not, we (or at least, I) hold that all people are created equal and can believe whatever they please. That means if you choose not to believe in God... that's your right and though I might disagree, I will defend your right to it.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
If anything if there is such a thing as ET it would only spring up new religions. That's just human idiocy and ET wouldn't change that, it would boost it.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

You are describing Christianity. So aliens need to end Christianity or all religions? I always laugh when someone says "religion" meaning all of them and then use references that specificly describe ONE religion.

Tell me why the existence of ET life inherently makes God non existent?

I am not religious by the way, but posts like this make me think I MUST be wrong.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by felonius

Well said!

This post is obviously by a young person experiencing the same feelings most of us have already went through, so we should try to remember that time, when we were questioning the validity of what we had been taught.

This brings to mind a quote I like, but I don't know who said it:

"There are no athiests in foxholes."

Good stuff. I like how the OP basicly says "Religion is so silly, I can't wait till aliens show up to tell us how ridiculous religion is."

It is amazing how many folk survive in this world believing they are in a completely different one.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17

So, let's get this straight. You think religion is a terrible thing so you are praying to an ET savior to come save us from ourselves?

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Religions were created for 2 reasons: the 1st was to better control mankind, and 2nd, humans were not able to think for themselves so somebody had to do it for them.
I know that all beliefs, whichever they might be, lead to deception. Beliefs are part of the domination of the human mind, because humans are unable to obtain answers on the questions they seek. That's why they need to secure their ego by believing in some form or another (God, science, philosophy, etc).
However, with the rise of consciousness around the globe, religions will be left behind on an individual basis. We cannot consider this on a global scale because all individuals have unique experiences to achieve, and we are not all at the same level of experimentation.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
according to Lindsey Williams, a pasture... they have been trying to do away with religion and have been doing it systematically (why? ... religion is no threat to ET right, wrong -- they are not telling us something - why are they destroying something that does not exist or does it... why waste time on fairy tales.), because if you believe in salvation, you can be saved. if you have no hope... then you will accept hopelessness... its a mind thing... and they are real close to doing just what you are calling for.... but unfortunately,

[edit on 23-10-2009 by Anti-Evil]

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by felonius

I had an "ass beating" as a child. I was often told 'No'. I played my part in Sunday School, the Scouts, RE, CYFA and the Church choir. I was never spoiled. Middle child of a 5 kid family, so I got no 'special attention'.

And, I'm an atheist, and a pacifist, but mostly I'm a realist. You see, you're the same as me - an atheist - I just believe in one less God than you do. Do you believe in Thor, Zeus, Lord Vishnu, Amen Ra or any of the multitude of other deity's available on the religious market? And if not, why is yours any more believable than those?

Yes I sincerely hope disclosure comes and whatever religion those folks may have we can accept - I'm willing to bet any advanced species focuses on scientific fact as opposed to mythical fiction however.

I'm all for the religious 'keeping the faith' - for now it helps many through tough times, even though it is in my opinion an expression of self empathy or lack in one's own general confidence, it's fine. But the corruption and greed of those in the driving seats of all religion, politics and corporatism must be erased - and yes I think that in some way knowing that we're truly not alone will go someway to rectify this.

I targeted your post because of it's blatant attack on the OP. I mean no disrespect to you or your religious belief.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by felonius
The reason folks like you hate religion is your spoiled brats that were never told "no", and were in dire need of an ass beating as a child....and didnt recieve it.

You criticize someone for making a generalization by making one yourself?

I don't know why other people hate religion, but the reason why I dislike most organized religions is because, as they have in the past, they continue to hinder social and technological progress.

Besides, faith and religion are two completely different things. People are free to believe whatever they like no matter how ridiculous it is, they don't need some organization to incorporate their beliefs.

In this day and age, the harm religions do to progress, and by consequence society, outweigh the little good they provide.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I can empathize with what the OP said and the sentiments he expressed, to some degree.

Religion is, IMO, a symptom of a particular stage in human development. It's something that the human race will grow out of. Individuals often do grow out of it, when they are ready, and the entire human race will do so in time, I believe.

I'm not talking 'spirituality', but organized religion.

Unfortunately, it's not something that people can give up until they are truly ready. They can't be forced and the religious have a curious ability to interpret anything that happens according to their belief system so that it reinforces it. So, I'm not convinced that the arrival of ETs would automatically end religion. For some, yes.

It's interesting to consider.

[edit on 23-10-2009 by Malcram]

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
You realized that if aliens came down and people said that there was no god, christians would just say that the devil sent them and that the aliens were sent to decieve and test us all. It's their cop-out for everything, dinosaur bones, devil put em there, proof of evolution found, devil put it there, etc

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
i dont understand why people always have to bargain their 'predictions'..... or balance it to be more specific.... with some kinda plead guilty clause in the end.... where do you draw the line in a free will scenario.... i mean positively

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Ok, how about if the aliens landed and they explain everything and they tell us that there is indeed a true God over all the universe and he is love. Then they go on to explain that his name is Ofalah and he died for the sins of the people of the universe and they show you a picture of a grey with a halo. What would you think then.

OBTW, it's a sin to them to believe in any other God but Ofalah.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I don't understand why the OP thinks that you can't believe in God and evolution at the same time. I myself believe in a God, but fully believe in the laws of science/physics.

Also, for the poster talking about how an Atheist "believes in one less God than you", I am open minded and do indeed believe in other Gods as well. I just think that there's something to learn from every religion. We can't just restrict ourselves to "logical thinking".

But I don't think aliens will be revealing anything religious anytime soon.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by converge
I don't know why other people hate religion, but the reason why I dislike most organized religions is because, as they have in the past, they continue to hinder social and technological progress.

Converge I'd tend to agree with you there - about most organised religions anyway.

Always thought this quote by Steve Allen hit the nail on the head:

"When the churches literally ruled society, the human drama encompassed: (a) slavery; (b) the cruel subjection of women; (c) the most savage forms of legal punishment; (d) the absurd belief that kings ruled by divine right; (e) the daily imposition of physical abuse; (f) cold heartlessness for the sufferings of the poor; as well as (g) assorted pogroms ('ethnic cleansing' wars) between rival religions, capital punishment for literally hundreds of offences, and countless other daily imposed moral outrages. . . . it was the free-thinking, challenging work by people of conscience, who almost invariably had to defy the religious and political status quo of their times, that brought us out of such darkness."

Steve Allen

Cheers.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by felonius
Nihilistic, hedonistic young prat.

Are most religious groups corrupted (at the top at least)? I believe so.

Are most religious (other than those that preach killing) people good folk that follow a code? I believe so.

The reason folks like you hate religion is your spoiled brats that were never told "no", and were in dire need of an ass beating as a child....and didnt recieve it.

[edit on 23-10-2009 by felonius]

How about those of us who got nothing but beatings as children? How about those who's young lives were so terrible that it forced us to look deeper into the whole God and religion thing and reject it?

Some people cling to their god for hope in times of need. Some people come to realize that they can't rely on an imaginary deity and that they must create hope in themselves.

That is a very uninformed statement you made.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join