It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Higgs Boson discovered at LHC...... or not

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by Sunlionspirit

A massless object cannot have kinetic energy, as a mass is required to get kinetic energy in the first place.

Photons are massless particles according to modern science and they can carry plenty of kinetic energy. Neutrinos are ALMOST massless and they can also carry any amount of kinetic energy.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Really? been a while since I did physics and can only remember the equation where you take the mass and speed etc etc....

How can a massless object have kinetic energy though? I don't disbelieve it, but my classical Physics knowledge is obviously not up to standard with these new fangled ideas

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by Sunlionspirit

A massless object cannot have kinetic energy, as a mass is required to get kinetic energy in the first place.

Photons are massless particles according to modern science and they can carry plenty of kinetic energy. Neutrinos are ALMOST massless and they can also carry any amount of kinetic energy.

Photons carry plenty of energy but it's electromagnetic energy, not kinetic energy, right?

Regarding the LHC breakdowns, I watched a video made during the construction of that huge and complicated machine. After watching that and seeing how complex the machine actually is, it's not hard to imagine that getting so many components to work to such high tolerances is a challenge. I mean repairing the LHC isn't like repairing a bicycle right? There is a lot more that CAN go wrong with the LHC, and, apparently, it does!

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
The higgs is called the god particle because it is believed to be the particle that allows other particles to have physical mass. . . it allows them to have substance hence the name god-particle. It gives mass the way "god" breaths life into the universe

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Photons carry plenty of energy but it's electromagnetic energy, not kinetic energy, right?

I do understand that it is electromagnetic energy that kicks out a electron like a magnet repulses another magnet ( N-N ) but cann't you say that this energy is also KINETIC at the same time ? it kicks away, it has force to do that, that electromagnetic field has kinetic energy in it ?? here it is not the mass ( photons have no mass ) that has kinetic energy but the field of the photon ?
If you did read my post up here about the feet on the ground, EVERYTHING is just an electromagnetic field, we are electromagnetic fields ( aura ? ), a stone is a E.M. field, a photon is a E.M. field : the only difference is that we as matter have much much mass, the photon has no ... a stone has mass but in fact it is a concentration of mass particles that all have a E.M. field around them ..

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
Regarding the LHC breakdowns, I watched a video made during the construction of that huge and complicated machine. After watching that and seeing how complex the machine actually is, it's not hard to imagine that getting so many components to work to such high tolerances is a challenge. I mean repairing the LHC isn't like repairing a bicycle right? There is a lot more that CAN go wrong with the LHC, and, apparently, it does!
Exactly...the complexity of the machine...and what they are trying to do is mind boggling...I heard a physicist give this example: "Trying to make two protons collide into each other is like trying to shoot two pins from each side of the Antarctic ocean, and aim them so well the tip of the pins hit each other"...go have a look at a video of this machine...the worlds largest scientific instrument...and you will have no doubt it will have complications...and I can't really think of a reason why they would hide such a finding from the scientific community anyway...

I do think photons have mass...they have energy...and I think energy creates mass...I found this article with a quick google search: A New Limit on Photon Mass

A new limit on photon mass, less than 10-51 grams or 7 x 10-19 electron volts, has been established by an experiment in which light is aimed at a sensitive torsion balance; if light had mass, the rotating balance would suffer an additional tiny torque. This represents a 20-fold improvement over previous limits on photon mass.

Photon mass is expected to be zero by most physicists, but this is an assumption which must be checked experimentally. A nonzero mass would make trouble for special relativity, Maxwell's equations, and for Coulomb's inverse-square law for electrical attraction.

The work was carried out by Jun Luo and his colleagues at Huazhong University of Science and Technology in Wuhan, China *contact details removed by CHA0S, visit link*. They have also carried out a measurement of the universal gravitational constant G (Luo et al., Physical Review D, 15 February 1999) and are currently measuring the force of gravity at the sub-millimeter range (a departure from Newton's inverse-square law might suggest the existence of extra spatial dimensions) and are studying the Casimir force, a quantum effect in which nearby parallel plates are drawn together. (Luo et al., Physical Review Letters, 28 February 2003)

[edit on 25/10/09 by CHA0S]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I also think that photons must have mass, maybe very very little, but they must have some .... maybe we can say that the less mass they have ( can we give it a name : a PLANCK-mass for the photon ??? ) the more electromagnetic force they have ????
when a particle has very strong electromagnetic force ( photons, other particles X-ray etc .. ) the less mass they have, the more mass the less E.M. force ???? a rockstone : much mass, less E.M. force ..... I do NOT know, I just dream about all those things and then notice it during my sleep .... and think about it afterwards ....
peace and love ..... maybe love is a E.M. force !!! once I did smoke some grass with my girlfriend, in the 1968 period, and we did look in each ones eyes : you never will believe me but we had at that moment a very very strong flash, lightning between our eyes ... and it did feel also physically !!! we were so scared about this that she did feel sick after that, like some bad trip, and I was very worried about her ... in the end all came OK, but there was a force, a real one, between our eyes/2 bodies ..... so what ?? i do not KNOW !!!!
love is the strongest force in the universe - that I know for sure.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join