It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why can't people simply change their freak'n minds?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   
For many years, I've been beating my head against the proverbial wall of people being in denial; of hanging on to stupid, outmoded belief systems that no longer have any bearing on reality... except their own little worlds, their little realities that no longer reflects the ever-changing realities that are happening in our world today.

So just why in the hell is it SO HARD for people to just change their freak'n minds? Just change their Points Of View? Just simply change their world views?

I mean, sheesh, changing one's mind is like changing software -- simple, really. And I don't mean software hot fixes for really complex things like banks -- I'm talking about simple, easy-to-do mental software changes to change ones old POV to a new POV that reflects the new, amazing information that is streaming into our lives everyday.

Yet, people would rather hang on to their stupid, old and out-moded belief systems, even to the point of allowing a scorched-Earth to happen before they change their minds. To the point of allowing their country (USA) to be totally eviscerated, out-sourced, destroyed, hoodwinked, raped, robbed, values demolished, communities wiped out and so on -- before they dare even think about changing their minds about the USA being the greatest nation on Earth, for example? Huh? Who are they kidding but themselves?

WTF?

Changing hardware in reality can be hard -- changing one's circumstances, changing jobs, changing homes, making adjustments on many levels, but, changing one's mind? "NO. NEVER! NOT GONNA DO THAT!" -- that kind of quoted mindset seems to be the norm.

Nearly every single perception and POV of mine that I held 20 years ago have been changed and my current POV now is radically different from my POV 20 years ago. I base my POV on the best evidence available and I'm ready and able to change my POV if any evidence -- TRUTH -- comes out that is persuasive enough for me to change my POV, so I have no trouble changing my POV in a moment. I'm not attached to my POV. My mind is mutable and very flexible and my bedrock in my reality is truth and nothing but the truth, so help me God.

What's the matter with people? Sheesh!

[edit on 23-10-2009 by Historical-Mozart]

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
i point you to a quote from the movie dogma:
Rufus: I think it's better to have ideas. You can change an idea. Changing a belief is trickier. Life should malleable and progressive; working from idea to idea permits that. Beliefs anchor you to certain points and limit growth; new ideas can't generate. Life becomes stagnant

it seems we have been conditioned to have beliefs. and stick to them. the whole "dont let anyone tell you you are wrong" idea. which isn't necessarily bad.

but i share your frustration. best advice...just deal with it. have your ideas. don't let anyone change them without your consent.

and most people see changing homes etc as software, but the hardware is what's in you.

[edit on 10/23/2009 by iamsupermanv2]

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Historical-Mozart

Ever imagine those that you disagree with feel the same about you?

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2
but i share your frustration. best advice...just deal with it. have your ideas. don't let anyone change them without your consent.

Yea, I love my ideas and have done well with them in this lifetime. But my world is not isolated from the world of others and the choices that they make -- or not make -- affects my world significantly.

The current sad and screwed-up state of America is a great example of that. People think that they are free, but they are not; people think that they are making the choices in voting, but they are not; they think that the Federal Reserve is a gov't entity, but it is not; they think that courts are Constitutional courts, but they are not and ad infinitum.

What they choose, what they believe affects MY reality, big-time and I just frigg'n-A tired of it. I'm at the end of my ropes here. The Disclosure can arrive too soon for me.

and most people see changing homes etc as software, but the hardware is what's in you.

Y'think?

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Ever imagine those that you disagree with feel the same about you?

You got me with that one.

But I ask you this: whose POV most-closely matches the realities that we live in? I'd say mine is more reflective of the truths about the current reality that we live in, than theirs.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   

You would, as would they say the same about their's. That link in my signature addresses exactly just this subject.

[edit on 23-10-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
It's really easy to fix. Just disagree with everything.

Wouldn't you agree?

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp
It's really easy to fix. Just disagree with everything.

Wouldn't you agree?

I disagree.

I feel better already.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   
I find the ability to change ones mind is totally dependent in how much of yourself or your life, energy etc is invested in the belief that you hold steadfast to.

If you don't have much invested, then yeah, it's easier to swing the boat around and change course.

But if you have EVERYTHING invested in the belief, it would be like trying to turn the Titanic round on a 10 cent coin. Aint gonna happen without a lot of calamity.

Example, it would be like being a Conspiracy Theorist all your life and all of a sudden thinking there are no conspiracies .........you're family who have now identified you as an alternative thinker will wonder what the hell happened to you and you'll lose the respect of those who you converted.

Its all about credibility. Because with a lot of things that can't be proved, (a lot of conspiracy theories for instance) credibility comes from your strong belief in what you believe. It's what draws people and influences them.
If you were to do an about face tomorrow, then you're credibility would be shot to pieces and no one would take anything you say seriously about anything else as they'd probably think....he'll probably change his mind in 2 months time.

Of course the above is only ONE example of what can happen when people change their minds about a previously strongly held belief. There are plenty more that would have the same result depending on how much of yourself is invested in the belief.

Just wanted to add, people often are afraid of being accused of hypocracy depending on the situation too.

[edit on 23-10-2009 by Flighty]

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Well I have always held the thought that your intelligence shows when you are able to look at any POV from every angle possible, while dedicating yourself to none of them.

In other words, being able to play "devils advocate" to every side of an idea/argument/etc is the best way to see every perspective. And you can make the best choice amongst those, rationally and having thought out all the possibilities.

But not everyone is capable of doing htat, I know.

Weird thought: what if people have such a hard time changing their minds because of the "rote and repeat" way we educate today?

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Here's an example of changing your mind.

I once thought all men were *snip. I had evidence to support that idea so it became a belief. Then I had a son and realized suddenly that you men can't help it. You were born that way. My son is a male who is not an *snip, therefore, I now believe all men are not *snip. See?

Ideas + evidence = belief

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Hey, Historical-Mozart, I noticed this in the OP:

"Changing hardware in reality can be hard -- changing one's circumstances, changing jobs, changing homes, making adjustments on many levels, but, changing one's mind? NO. NEVER! NOT GONNA DO THAT!"

Heh. You might change you mind about that.

Ya know, sometimes I have changed my mind, only to change it back again. Now, that really bugs the hell out of me.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Historical-Mozart

I mean, sheesh, changing one's mind is like changing software -- simple, really. And I don't mean software hot fixes for really complex things like banks -- I'm talking about simple, easy-to-do mental software changes to change ones old POV to a new POV that reflects the new, amazing information that is streaming into our lives everyday.

No, I think you are wrong with this analogy. People are not software. They have emotions, attatched to what they believe. It isn't as simple as this or changing a pair of shoes.

Just look how passionate you are with your post.

Changing hardware in reality can be hard -- changing one's circumstances, changing jobs, changing homes, making adjustments on many levels, but, changing one's mind? NO. NEVER! NOT GONNA DO THAT!

What's the matter with people? Sheesh!

Maybe you need a vacation!

edit to fix quote

[edit on 23-10-2009 by Blanca Rose]

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 06:28 AM
link   
You have no chance, my two dreams are about very long term things that may not happen in my life. People all live in there own world, and we all think we are right, when most of us are wrong though.

Propaganda of the ptb is far stronger than any of us, just look how they got obama elected, and ron paul was washed to the side without us ever knowing how many votes he got.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Not necessarily, not everything is black and white.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I believe that media from the "Dumb Box," or better said the TV/ PC, has affected our judgment and thoughts so much, that it has manipulated our clearness on how our ancestors used to see life.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
something has to change in their life so they can change with it.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I change my mind constantly. But I'm pregnant, so I don't think that counts. Lol.

Really, I think peopke go through stages in their lives - radical, developmental stagesbthat alter perceptions (in a good way). 18 is a benchmark, 21, 26 is said to be the full transition into adulthood and the brain is supposedly entirely developed. 30 and 40 are two other benchmarks.

It has to do with life and responsibility. My views now are literally the polar opposite of when I was a teenager. And, I'm sure 5 years from now I'll ferl the views I have now are just as naive as I currently feel about my views as a teenager.

By no means is anyone's POV stupid, though. That is harsh.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Actually, being stubborn on some points is somewhat physiological. Each time you exercise your brain your brain cells branch out. The more branches you have, the more diverse ideas you will have in a given situation. These are called dendrites. Coating the dendrites are myelin sheaths. A substance that helps the nerve impulses pass smoothly.

As people get older and/or don't exercise their mind, the myelin drys up. The dendrites then look like a very arthritic hand, crumpled and twisted.

[edit on 1.8.2010 by Avarus]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Observer23
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Not necessarily, not everything is black and white.

It seems like everyone that answers is agreeing with me. Who could after reading a comment with which they can't disagree?

Really I'm working dilligently to not even have a point of view at all. Points are such small spaces.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join