It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The US is all out of jobs

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
reply to post by double_frick

Remember, revolution comes first from a few complaining and "whining" as you choose to interpret it. They bring common emotions and thoughts together and finally choose to act in a concerted way. We're just in the process of all this bubbling of thought and emotion. Action will come. Eventually.

i just think the whining has gone on far too long.
long enough for someone with balls to at LEAST take responsibility for their own problems instead of blaming EVERY SINGLE THING else. lol

action WILL come...we talk of it every day here on ATS. but the action that WILL come and the action that SHOULD come are two different things. instead of action coming from americans putting their foot down the action will come upon the few who actually DO put their foot down.

and everyone here on ats will have a field day talking about it.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy

I'm an RN I probably wipe more butt than you do in a day lady!

[edit on 23-10-2009 by Zosynspiracy]

touche, i didn't realize you had a job and i great one at that.

and i do NOT deny that its HARD OUT THERE and that the pickens are slim...but there ARE jobs. and there ARE Solutions for those who want them.

its not easy, but is it ever? the american dream isn't supposed to be easy...and you know what as american as it is to live that dream in times like these its OKAY to simplify in order to be able to relax and not run around like a chicken w/its head cut off because of the economy. the solutions in times like these are pretty tough and not very pretty all the time, but if things are as bad as some of you claim isn't it worth it?

i heard that more than half of america is close to or below the poverty line. but WAY more than half of THOSE near the poverty line (or below it) have BIG screen tvs, microwaves, dishwashers, homes they can't afford, cars they can't afford, starbucks three times a day, and these are the same people laying around crying that they are poor and no one will help them! it would be great for EVERYONE To get help, but this is life and it seems too few people anymore learn that LIFE IS NOT FAIR. but it isn't impossible.

i'd hate to see this country if our depression reaches the depths seen in the 30s. we are NOT the kind of americans that originally pursued this "american dream" and until we are we do not DESERVE THAT. where did our work ethic go? our family values?? sorry, i choose being a POOR SAHM to having latch key kids that grow up to be hookers and drug dealers.

i AM living the american dream.
i just don't know when people started thinking that the american dream was a material thing.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by double_frick
sacramento, COME ON DOWN.
plenty of jobs here, folks.
go down to our local mall and every single store you could imagine is hiring.
thats not to mention the fast food jobs, server jobs, admin jobs, teaching jobs, healthcare jobs, i mean i could go on all day.

have YOU looked? craigslist? hoofed it and checked out what is hiring in your area?

Wow, I'm not sure what part of Sac you're looking at, but its not that easy. I've got an MS in biochemistry and I can tell you NO ONE has even given me a call for an interview. I'm totally OVER qualified for like 95% of the available jobs now. I even submitted a resume that completely ommitted anything relating to my education and experience, but they wanted to know that I did between 1997 and 2006. Its hard to make stuff up to hide 9 years of experience.

What do I do? Do I apply for a job in a coffee shop/retail store/restaurant? Most people won't even look at my resume because they don't think I'd stay in a position where I make minimum wage. Biotech (whis is where I've worked for many years) is struggling. The Bay Area and Sacramento have lost 100s of companies specializing in my field. I've been applying for jobs 1.5+ hours away from where I live. I've had a few phone screens, but they are now looking for PhDs to fill $10/hr jobs. That is NOT normal. I can't get a $10/hour job because I'm underqualified, but overqualified for $8.50/hour jobs, where do I fit in?

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

True the American dream shouldn't be a material thing per se........but when you own your house, have assets, and don't depend on others for your livelihood = FREEDOM There is a sense of freedom that comes with material wealth. That's the way the world is and that's the way it has always been. That's not to say Americans can justify being greedy or overly materialistic but in a free market and a free country we all should be able to pursue our own self interest..........and hopefully a majority of that self interest will go towards helping others and contributing to the greater good of society. But with a paternalistic government and a corrupt corporate environment......the America ideal is falling by the wayside. We are all pretty much reliant on others/government for our way of life. Gas, food, housing, etc.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Morbo the Annihilator
Wow, I'm not sure what part of Sac you're looking at, but its not that easy. I've got an MS in biochemistry and I can tell you NO ONE has even given me a call for an interview. I'm totally OVER qualified for like 95% of the available jobs now. I even submitted a resume that completely ommitted anything relating to my education and experience, but they wanted to know that I did between 1997 and 2006. Its hard to make stuff up to hide 9 years of experience.

What do I do? Do I apply for a job in a coffee shop/retail store/restaurant? Most people won't even look at my resume because they don't think I'd stay in a position where I make minimum wage. Biotech (whis is where I've worked for many years) is struggling. The Bay Area and Sacramento have lost 100s of companies specializing in my field. I've been applying for jobs 1.5+ hours away from where I live. I've had a few phone screens, but they are now looking for PhDs to fill $10/hr jobs. That is NOT normal. I can't get a $10/hour job because I'm underqualified, but overqualified for $8.50/hour jobs, where do I fit in?

Yeah, that's what I have gone up against as well. I have a college degree and get turned down for jobs all the time. And I even had a high grade point average, so it should be obvious that I am not a bum.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
There isn't enough good paying jobs to maintain a lifestyle that was artificial to begin with. When jobs started to go out of the country after NAFTA was signed back in 91, the didn't notice at that time. Once they started to see jobs leaving they decided to encourage home refinancing and credit to subsidize the stagnate wages and loss of jobs. Because without that we wouldn't have our consumer economy which is at least 70%. Then when the equity bubble blew up during the dot com, instead of taking the bad recession at that time they decided to lower interest rates and that enabled the housing boom and also the refinancing boom. Now the US is in a pickle. There is only a few bubbles left that they can inflate, but it will end the same way and you can see for yourselves. The bond bubble withe the Muni's and the Treasuries. The Muni's which fund all the states are being inflated and promised in small and large part by the Fed through Treasuries. And Treasuries are the devices that are being swapped to buy the toxic junk that are mortgage backed bonds. Then their is also the dollar bubble that is being felt all across the planet and in the US. By purchasing via treasuries and other vehicles and also money bailouts, he essentially is printing money and the rest of the world knows it if the US public don't.

We all know what happens when you print to much money, we are at risk to having hyperinflation happen in this country. And the only way of soaking up all that liquidity that is in the banks and the stock market (thats one big reason the stock market is up, this money have to go somewhere). They have demanded or "asked" the banks to loan to people more readily, but they can't and maybe are being told not to in order to not set off inflation/hyperinflation to early and also if they loan out the money their books will be back in the same condition that they where in before the bailout. So what does the banks do, they use this money that uncle sam gave them and treasuries that where used to swap their toxic junk and are using these assets to pump up the market. Then when the suckers start to come in they can slowly start to sell and make a profit fromt the given money/treasuries.

And with the Treasuries being used to back toxic this and toxic that, it's starting to depreciate the value of our most treasuried bond. Because this is what we use to get other countries to give us money on promises.

There's no jobs because we have been living in a manufactured fraud of shuffling paper while our industry ran out of this country chasing the cheapest and brightest employees. We are slowly turning into a third world nation (heck parts of this country can be considered third world now). And that is why the police is being more aggressive and the govt. is becoming less responsive. They know that when the inevitable hammer slams down on the US economy and people finally wake up and look around, they will see that they have been lied to. They weren't special, they weren't "gods chosen people", they where just more bodies that the elite used for their purposes along with their country. We are going to see the rise of China and India and Brazil and Pan-Arabia (they will coordinate) and even Russia. And guess what, they won't be to nice to us. Thats the problem with being a bully for so long, eventually your own friends turn against you. This country could have been a paradise, now we go to other countries to see how THEY DO IT in transportation and other things.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicamsa
Yeah, that's what I have gone up against as well. I have a college degree and get turned down for jobs all the time. And I even had a high grade point average, so it should be obvious that I am not a bum.

From personal experience, I've found that the more educated and the higher GPA you have, the LESS likely companies will be to hire you for entry-level positions. It's not becasue they think you're a bum, but because they want to think long-term for the company. If they don't think you'll commit 5 years to the company, they won't even bother giving you a second glance. They want people that will commit several years at a minimum salary to determine how long they'll "hang in there" and how loyal they are to the company. For many with educations, they might not be willing to "put in the hard time". Of course in this economy, many of us are willing to work for minimum wage.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

If I was in the US right now, I'd be growing a veg patch, I'd have chickens,...

Unfortunately the corporations REALLY REALLY do not want us to grow our own food. They HATE the competition from independent farmers selling at farmers markets and road side stands, so now Congress is working on bills to make it as difficult to grow your own food. The proposed paperwork requirements are similar to those required to manufacture drugs and the fines are $1,000,000/day/violation and up to ten years in jail if you screw up with no judicial review (court hearing) The fines go directly to the new food safety czar to fund more food cops and do not forget the $500/yr licensing fee.

Think it doesn't apply to your backyard garden? Well think again.

"in any action to enforce the requirements of the food safety law, the connection with interstate commerce required for jurisdiction SHALL BE PRESUMED TO EXIST."

A farmer growing wheat for his own use “The government claimed that if Mr. Filburn grew wheat for his own use, he would not be buying it — and that affected interstate commerce” The Supreme court found against the farmer!!!

The Commerce Clause:

Enter Roscoe Filburn, an Ohio dairy and poultry farmer, who raised a small quantity of winter wheat — some to sell, some to feed his livestock, and some to consume. In 1940, under authority of the Agricultural Adjustment Act, the central government told Mr. Filburn that for the next year he would be limited to planting 11 acres of wheat and harvesting 20 bushels per acre. He harvested 12 acres over his allotment for consumption on his own property. When the government fined him, Mr. Filburn refused to pay.
Wickard v. Filburn got to the Supreme Court, and in 1942, the justices unanimously ruled against the farmer. The government claimed that if Mr. Filburn grew wheat for his own use, he would not be buying it — and that affected interstate commerce. It also argued that if the price of wheat rose, which is what the government wanted, Mr. Filburn might be tempted to sell his surplus wheat in the interstate market, thwarting the government's objective. The Supreme Court bought it

The Court's opinion must be quoted to be believed:
[The wheat] supplies a need of the man who grew it which would otherwise be reflected by purchases in the open market. Home-grown wheat in this sense competes with wheat in commerce.
As Epstein commented, "Could anyone say with a straight face that the consumption of home-grown wheat is 'commerce among the several states?'" For good measure, the Court justified the obvious sacrifice of Mr. Filburn's freedom and interests to the unnamed farmers being protected:

It is of the essence of regulation that it lays a restraining hand on the self-interest of the regulated and that advantages from the regulation commonly fall to others.
After Wickard , everything is mere detail. The entire edifice of civil rights legislation stands on the commerce power. Under this maximum commerce power, the government has been free to regulate nearly everything,...The Court has held that if Congress sees a connection to interstate commerce, it is not its role to second guess.

www.fff.org...

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   

From personal experience, I've found that the more educated and the higher GPA you have, the LESS likely companies will be to hire you for entry-level positions. It's not becasue they think you're a bum, but because they want to think long-term for the company. If they don't think you'll commit 5 years to the company, they won't even bother giving you a second glance. They want people that will commit several years at a minimum salary to determine how long they'll "hang in there" and how loyal they are to the company. For many with educations, they might not be willing to "put in the hard time". Of course in this economy, many of us are willing to work for minimum wage.

Yeah, and then people claim you're lying and just a lazy bum, unwilling to work because you don't have a job. Yeah, that's how it goes.

Ironic thing is I wanted to drop out of school growing up and the adults/authorities kept telling me this lie that all I had to do was 'go to school, make good grades, and you'll get a job anywhere.' I went to school, made good grades, and spent 15 years looking for a job, where I kept getting told I was "overqualified" and other such excuses. I often wish I'd never finished high school, but I believed them. Liars!

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
You want a job next year this is the time to start.
get your wildlands red card.
Get your Wildland Fire Safety Training and get a EMT certificate
www.nationalfiretraining.net...

Some people work summers and go to collage in the winter others work year round.
www.ehow.com...
www.wildlandfire.com...
www.blm.gov...

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Yeah, and then people claim you're lying and just a lazy bum, unwilling to work because you don't have a job. Yeah, that's how it goes.

Yeah. Don't you like the irony of that? Like we went to school many years just to spend our lives unemployed.

Ironic thing is I wanted to drop out of school growing up and the adults/authorities kept telling me this lie that all I had to do was 'go to school, make good grades, and you'll get a job anywhere.' I went to school, made good grades, and spent 15 years looking for a job, where I kept getting told I was "overqualified" and other such excuses. I often wish I'd never finished high school, but I believed them. Liars!

I am the SAME way. Both of my parents have advanced degrees, so it was always assumed I'd go too. My husband barely graduated high school and has a really stable, well paying job. I've told him and my parents that I will not push my children to go to college. If they want to go, they can. If not, that's fine too. For me, college was an utter waste of time, resources, money, and energy.

BTW - added you as a friend Jessica.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   

which is what more of these stupid americans who don't have any money should be doing!

and

we would have NO problem with our bills if he DID take a minimum wage job because of the way we live, you know using actual "money" not credit...

Of course, everyone is entitled to rant, but some simple math tells me you’re not being very realistic about your situation.

CA minimum wage= $8.00/hr.

Assuming 40 hrs/wk, every week.
40 * $8.00= $320

$320*52 wks = $16640/ yr, gross.

I was being generous in only applying a 22% tax rate,
$16640 * 22% = $3660 in taxes.

$16640 - $3660= $12980 net income.

$700/mth rent * 12 mnths = $8400 yearly rent.
$12980(net) - $8400 rent/yr leaves $4580.

$4580/ 12mnths= $381/mnth for everything aside from rent.

You, your S.O. and 2(?) kids= family of four.

$381/ family of four(per person)= $95.25/ person / month.

Let’s just say that there are only 4 weeks in a month.

$95.25/ 4 wks= $23.81/person/week for every expense aside from rent.
Utilities, health care, food, clothing, transportation, internet, etc…

I have a four year old boy, and the way he grows, plus how hard he is on his clothing would eat half of his portion alone.

As a stay at home Dad, who is responsible for managing our homes finances,
Something doesn’t seem right with those numbers, and I’m in Wisconsin,
not California.

[edit on 23-10-2009 by Oaktree]

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Yeah. Don't you like the irony of that? Like we went to school many years just to spend our lives unemployed.

I am the SAME way. Both of my parents have advanced degrees, so it was always assumed I'd go too. My husband barely graduated high school and has a really stable, well paying job. I've told him and my parents that I will not push my children to go to college. If they want to go, they can. If not, that's fine too. For me, college was an utter waste of time, resources, money, and energy.

BTW - added you as a friend Jessica.

I have actually thought of taking the test and getting my GED and pretending I was once a high school dropout. That might take me places lol. Around here people with a lot less education have a better chance of finding employment.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
At the moment there are plenty of very high paying jobs available in Australia - I was going to set up a labor hire company to take advantage of it - just too damned lazy to do it

If you need work - check Australia - it may not last, but for now - its a nice place, lots of work - money and conditions are good.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

I have a HSD and some computer, audio production/engineering skills as well as a wide knowledge of music gear and devices....but haven't done any work on the table so I have no history and no references. When I apply places
I get the feeling they look at my resume, laugh and file it in the shredder (or ignore the online app).

I have never gotten an interview and I am in my 20's. This was tolerable at 18, but it's actually starting to scare me. I will be going for my general AA soon, thank God. Does society really expect a high school grad to flip burgers and to make ends meet for himself? Am I "to good to work fast food?" ... No, but seeing as I'm not begging yet, I will be a chooser.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   

hi Jessicamsa, So many people that I know here in Kentucky are in the same position. It really sucks to spend all that money on college and not be able to get a decent job with good pay and benefits. I just wanted to let you know it's not just you. There are many servers at my restaurant who have graduated and can't get a job in their field. Or if they're offered a job in their field it pays less than what they're making as a server. It really sucks when you spend all that money on college and find out that you actually earn a better living and get better benefits waiting tables. I do hope that you'll find a job in your field soon and wish you the best.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by cornblossom

hi Jessicamsa, So many people that I know here in Kentucky are in the same position. It really sucks to spend all that money on college and not be able to get a decent job with good pay and benefits. I just wanted to let you know it's not just you. There are many servers at my restaurant who have graduated and can't get a job in their field. Or if they're offered a job in their field it pays less than what they're making as a server. It really sucks when you spend all that money on college and find out that you actually earn a better living and get better benefits waiting tables. I do hope that you'll find a job in your field soon and wish you the best.

Ty.

I'd be happy waiting tables. At least I'd have a job.

I'll probably move from KY once I finish college.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join