It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The US is all out of jobs

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by double_frick
well, thats just ridiculous, i DO hope you are joking.

yes, the economy is *BAD* but man, some people will make up any excuse not to work. my S.O. went out to try to find a replacement job for his current one and he said that literally EVERY place he stepped foot into was HIRING. it may not be a job that some people "want" to work, but what job is?!

i feel like people are hearing that there are "no jobs" and instead of pulling their heads out of their a** they sit their lazy a** on the couch and watch tv, complaining about "no jobs" during commercials.

come on people, use your brain and FIX YOUR LIVES, take some responsiblity, damn.
cuz listening to the media is doing one helluva job.

[edit on 10/23/2009 by double_frick]

And where is this?? Because there are no jobs around here. I've been applying for jobs for several months and only got a handful of interviews. Shoot, McDonald's had open interviews Tuesday and I went and sat there for a long time, waiting my turn. The interviews were from 2 to 4. Because it was after 4, everyone who'd waited but not been interviewed yet were told to come back next week. I told them what I thought of their wasting my time.

There are thousands of applicants around here for one open position. No jobs here for most people.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iseekthetruth!!!!!!!!
But I don't think I would trust growing vegies in the city on land that is probably so polluted it would kill you to eat them.

lolz, i admit i spent some months in a delusional paranoia concerning TPTB. now, i don't deny that they may be up to some nefarious plot and we are all on the wrong side of it...BUT this is just ridiculous.
with this line of thinking, sir, i wonder how you allow yourself to eat at all!!

people need to wake up. not to the corruption going on all around us, but to the idea of self-responsibility. its time people, stop letting TPTB control you by distracting you from being self sufficient. i mean, i think people "know" whats going on now, but what is anyone going to do about it? thats the question.
unfortunately the answer seems to be: Complain, blame, fear, hate, but most of all NOTHING.

stop worrying about the unemployment rate. stop worrying about the war. is there anything you can do about it? yes, you can live you life in a way that does NOT completely depend on the government so when they start doing everything y'all think they are going to do you can stand up and say, NO! instead of being completely dependent on any amount of help they will allow you.

community gardens in cities, in your apartment, in you communities is much healthier than buying from the grocery store, numb nuts.

i apologize for the rant.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
It seems there are areas in the US that have next to no jobs, while in others some are still available. I don't think it's necessary for someone to hate on people in either situation. It's just how it is.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
reply to post by In nothing we trust

The solution isn't to sit around and wait. It's start growing your own food, improving how you live, learning about how to survive.

Those who use their time wisely while looking for work and hoping things get better will be the ones better off if it does go the way we all think it is.

If I was in the US right now, I'd be growing a veg patch, I'd have chickens, I;d be buying equipment to make my home secure and energy independent. I'd be communicating with my neighbours, encouraging them to do similar, forming alliances and exchanging resources.

And, next year, if our own economy hasn't improved (which I highly doubt it will) I'll be doing all of the above. I'm already working on my energy use and looking into alternatives to become more self-sufficient. And I'm in a secure job, in a secure field.

Around here most people live in apartments.

Most people have zoning laws which prevent keeping chickens, etc.

Those who live out in rural areas are in much better shape than most.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by double_frick

So did your significant other actually find a job yet?
Sure there are signs everywhere for low paying service jobs or retail jobs..........and guess how many people are applying for those jobs? Hundreds if not thousands. I guess if we wish it to happen hard enough a job will magically appear right?

By the way I'm employed, but even I know how hard it is out there.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

sacramento, COME ON DOWN.
plenty of jobs here, folks.
go down to our local mall and every single store you could imagine is hiring.
thats not to mention the fast food jobs, server jobs, admin jobs, teaching jobs, healthcare jobs, i mean i could go on all day.

have YOU looked? craigslist? hoofed it and checked out what is hiring in your area? if you have and really can't find anything (i doubt that) consider moving. consider thinking up a great idea and making your own business. i wonder if any of these unemployed people who can't seem to find a job do anything in their non-working time that could solve their problem or if they just laze around complaining they can't find a job.

i am sure there are people who really cannot find jobs. im sure. but there ARE solutions and those solutions NEVER include complaining and whining and "hoping" for "change"
solutions take determination...something far too many people lack these days.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy

So did your significant other actually find a job yet?
Sure there are signs everywhere for low paying service jobs or retail jobs..........and guess how many people are applying for those jobs? Hundreds if not thousands. I guess if we wish it to happen hard enough a job will magically appear right?

By the way I'm employed, but even I know how hard it is out there.

actually, he's decided to keep his current job and see how it goes for a couple more weeks.
once he "sees how it goes" he will either keep working where he is or he already has at least 2 other jobs lined up in the event that he decides he doesn't want to do what he's doing.
they are both full time and semi-management retail positions...no cashiering at mcdonalds or anything (not that there is anything wrong with that)

seriously.

if people really can't find jobs i encourage y'all to come over to sacramento, ca! there are plenty of jobs and of course, programs to assist you (if you wish) while you get on your feet. i'm staying in a 2 bedroom for $700, you really can't beat that. life isn't "good" by any means in sacramento...i mean, its california afterall, but after i stopped watching the news and television i started realizing that things around here are not as bad as they try to convince people. period.
maybe the same goes for where you live, maybe not. but if NOT, then you're welcome to get some jobbies out here, guys!

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   

That's the whole point YOU CAN'T DO MUCH OF ANYTHING NOWADAYS BECAUSE OF GOVERNMENT. Like so many posters before you, you cannot just go out and buy chickens and start plowing up land in the suburbs or urban areas in the United States. There are laws, community covenants, etc. Im sorry but I live in a nice middle class subdivision and I wouldn't want my neighbors hording a bunch of chickens are farm animals in my backyard. Community gardens are great, but there are also laws for those as well. If a community garden actually gets too big it turns into a FARM........and there are a whole host of laws and regulations that go along with running and owning a farm. You are either young and naive or just arrogant and stupid because you have no clue what you are talking about. Or worse you don't live in the US.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
It seems there are areas in the US that have next to no jobs, while in others some are still available. I don't think it's necessary for someone to hate on people in either situation. It's just how it is.

sorry, last post.
but i'll say, i didn't mean to 'hate' in anyway, again, sorry for the rant. i don't know the situation anywhere but here, i just know that i hear from almost everyone IN sacramento about the lack of jobs and i believed them until last week when my S.O. came home with at least 20 apps for stores that are hiring.

so again, may not be the case everywhere, so i apologize to those i offended.
gotta admit that there are quite a lot of people that would rather complain than find a solution.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   

So miss smarty pants do you have a job? If not why not?

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

reply to post by Jessicamsa

sacramento, COME ON DOWN.
plenty of jobs here, folks.
go down to our local mall and every single store you could imagine is hiring.
thats not to mention the fast food jobs, server jobs, admin jobs, teaching jobs, healthcare jobs, i mean i could go on all day.

have YOU looked? craigslist? hoofed it and checked out what is hiring in your area? if you have and really can't find anything (i doubt that) consider moving. consider thinking up a great idea and making your own business. i wonder if any of these unemployed people who can't seem to find a job do anything in their non-working time that could solve their problem or if they just laze around complaining they can't find a job.

i am sure there are people who really cannot find jobs. im sure. but there ARE solutions and those solutions NEVER include complaining and whining and "hoping" for "change"
solutions take determination...something far too many people lack these days.

I can't move right now. Not until July/August. I have one class and a thesis from getting my master's degree (if I ever find a way to pay for it that is without a job).

Yes, I've looked on craigslist, etc. The local paper here only has FOUR listings for help wanted, and I've applied for the ones I'm eligible for.

I am very limited to what I can physically do. I can't, literally can't, lift above 20/25 lbs without injuring myself. I was born with a crooked leg/knee that goes all up my back, so I cannot even lift properly. I have trouble getting up and down my stairs to my apartment. You can even hear my knee creek and pop now because it's been getting worse as I get older. I'm only 33 years old and my body sounds like that of an 80 year old woman when I walk. I used to be able to hide it, but now people can hear me walk. Most of the jobs around here want you to lift 50/70 lbs, which I have never been able to do.

I spend at least once a week filling out applications. I used to do more, but it takes a lot of gas money, which I cannot afford without a job. I'm living off $573/month in child support/alimony and all of my bills are going up in less than two weeks, so I may end up homeless soon. I did finally get approved for food stamps at least. I can finally eat more than once a day.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   

I hope you realize you're being somewhat hypocritical.

Being upset about an unjust situation is everyone's right, and not necessarily foolish. Especially not when the law is on the side of corruption, as it seems to be. Most people need time to process their emotions before acting. Some people more than others.

Remember, revolution comes first from a few complaining and "whining" as you choose to interpret it. They bring common emotions and thoughts together and finally choose to act in a concerted way. We're just in the process of all this bubbling of thought and emotion. Action will come. Eventually.

link   

You're not understanding and you sound very young and naive..............I can go out and come home with 100 aps and it STILL NOT find a job. Your bf or whoever hasn't actually had to go out and GET A JOB. Has he even gotten an interview after filling out all those so called 20 job aps? Probably not. There are lots of crappy jobs out there but there are also thousands of people applying for them. Filling out job applications is one thing, actually getting an interview and LANDING a job is completely different.

link   

So miss smarty pants do you have a job? If not why not?

no, i'm a stay at home mom.
though i'm sure i could if i wanted to have one, i just think its more important to watch my own kids and rely on myself for teaching and preschool for socializing.

link   

sorry, last post.
but i'll say, i didn't mean to 'hate' in anyway, again, sorry for the rant. i don't know the situation anywhere but here, i just know that i hear from almost everyone IN sacramento about the lack of jobs and i believed them until last week when my S.O. came home with at least 20 apps for stores that are hiring.

so again, may not be the case everywhere, so i apologize to those i offended.
gotta admit that there are quite a lot of people that would rather complain than find a solution.

Try visiting Kentucky sometime. There are some places that are hiring maybe one or two people, but they have THOUSANDS of applicants. And my mom may be losing her job soon too.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

LMAO! HAHA Of course! I knew you were going to say one of two things........either a stay at home mom or on disability.

And let me get this straight........you said "kids" plural. So I'm assuming you have more than one? So you have more than one kid, living in a $700 a month 2 bedroom apartment, while your significant other works a low paying, low benefits retail job? Is that your vision of the American dream? I don't mean to sound rude or come off as a jerk but wow. I'm confused.

[edit on 23-10-2009 by Zosynspiracy]

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

I hope you realize you're being somewhat hypocritical.

Being upset about an unjust situation is everyone's right, and not necessarily foolish. Especially not when the law is on the side of corruption, as it seems to be. Most people need time to process their emotions before acting. Some people more than others.

Remember, revolution comes first from a few complaining and "whining" as you choose to interpret it. They bring common emotions and thoughts together and finally choose to act in a concerted way. We're just in the process of all this bubbling of thought and emotion. Action will come. Eventually.

its fine to be upset. i mean, i get upset.
but to absolutely refuse a solution in favor of complaining of ones plight is just insanity. and stupid. now i know these traits are slowly becoming more and more "okay" and even encouraged in our society...but survival of the fittest i guess.
i'm not saying don't be upset.
but nothing is so bad that there is no solution, at least not in the average american's life.

i challenge those pathetic enough to insist that there situation is hopeless and jobless and there is no current solution and *cries* i hope SOMEONE will just save lil ol me! to go to another country, like mexico maybe. bunch of cry babies.
being upset is one thing. giving up hope because of an asinine statement like there are NO jobs left in america is just making things WORSE and giving those who want one an excuse to be pathetic. period.

i dont see how i'm being hypocritical...harsh maybe.
mostly i'm just wasting time on the internets before park-time and couldn't help but flare over the typical wah-wah parties of ATS.
i miss the threads that had substance...half the threads anymore is just people whining and complaining saying "when is someone going to do something?" well, i'll tell you, someone is going to do something when you get off your whiny butt and DO SOMETHING. thats when. damn.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   

LMAO! HAHA Of course! I knew you were going to say one of two things........either a stay at home mom or on disability.

And let me get this straight........you said "kids" plural. So I'm assuming you have more than one? So you have more than one kid, living in a $700 a month 2 bedroom apartment, while your significant other works a low paying, low benefits retail job? Is that your vision of the American dream? I don't mean to sound rude or come off as a jerk but wow. I'm confused.

well of COURSE you meant to come off as a jerk and be rude.
congrats, mission accomplished.

i can almost guarantee you that my job is 10x harder and more important than your job...and i do do an exceptional job, if i do say so myself.

just because i think you are low balling yourself by crying about no jobs instead of finding one doesn't make MY job for my children any less honorable. and its none of your business what my boyfriend does, but he's in sales and makes quite a bit. we just don't see the need to "live the american dream" by racking up 10s of thousands in debt to drink starbucks and live in a house we don't need, we live simply. which is what more of these stupid americans who don't have any money should be doing!
we would have NO problem with our bills if he DID take a minimum wage job because of the way we live, you know using actual "money" not credit...

i think its sad that you equate someone sacrificing almost every single aspect of their lives for another person to someone living on disability. not to mention that there are plenty of people on disability who truly need it and should not be talked lowly as someone who chooses to blame something as inanimate as the economy for their problems.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iseekthetruth!!!!!!!!
But I don't think I would trust growing vegies in the city on land that is probably so polluted it would kill you to eat them.

lolz, i admit i spent some months in a delusional paranoia concerning TPTB. now, i don't deny that they may be up to some nefarious plot and we are all on the wrong side of it...BUT this is just ridiculous.
with this line of thinking, sir, i wonder how you allow yourself to eat at all!!

people need to wake up. not to the corruption going on all around us, but to the idea of self-responsibility. its time people, stop letting TPTB control you by distracting you from being self sufficient. i mean, i think people "know" whats going on now, but what is anyone going to do about it? thats the question.
unfortunately the answer seems to be: Complain, blame, fear, hate, but most of all NOTHING.

stop worrying about the unemployment rate. stop worrying about the war. is there anything you can do about it? yes, you can live you life in a way that does NOT completely depend on the government so when they start doing everything y'all think they are going to do you can stand up and say, NO! instead of being completely dependent on any amount of help they will allow you.

community gardens in cities, in your apartment, in you communities is much healthier than buying from the grocery store, numb nuts.

i apologize for the rant.

My line of thinking is that there are very likely pollutants in the soil in a city envoronment. Lead from auto exaust, yes there was lead in gasoline years ago.
God knows what from factories ( I live within three blocks of two factories ) you never know what is being leached into the soil.
What I was saying is I think land outside of a city may be less polluted. Actually a few years ago our city did have a community garden plot just outside of town, it was great, but they have closed it down. I think they sold the land to developers.

Personally at this point in time I buy my veg at the local organic farmers market.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I'm an RN I probably wipe more butt than you do in a day lady!

Like I said I have a job but I can most definitely sympathize with all the job seekers out there. It's hardly a matter of will these days. It's a matter of simple economics. Too many people chasing too few jobs. And that's fine if you want to raise kids in a 2 bedroom apartment. But the rest of us don't have to feel guilty because home ownership is as American as apple pie and everyone that seeks that goal is not living beyond their means nor planning on buying a McMansion.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join