It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Welcome back MiG-29K

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Russia's Navy will buy at least 24 MiG-29K (Fulcrum-D) fighters to be deployed on the Admiral Kuznetsov aircraft carrier, an unnamed Defense Ministry official said on Friday.

He added that deliveries of the carrier-based multirole fighters would start in 2010.

The MiGs will subsequently replace the Su-33 (Flanker-D) carrier-based fighters, even though their service life does not expire until 2025.

Military analyst Konstantin Makiyenko suggested that production of new Su-33 aircraft was possible but not cost-effective, given the small production volumes, whereas considering that India has already contracted 16 MiG-29K's and could place an order for another 28, the latter option is more financially viable.

The 24 aircraft will cost an estimated $1 billion.

en.rian.ru...

I have always had a soft spot for the MiG-29. Yes the Su-33 is a brilliant aircraft but its funny to see the MiG-29K, who lost out to the Su-33, reappear and win. The USN is all about power projection with their carriers but the Kuznetsov is tasked with protecting the fleet with CAP flights. The Su-33s have a limited multi-role capability in their current configuration or at least last time I checked they did.

Even if they popped a Shkval on it and scotch taped a cheap TV on to the right panel (Su-25t style baby) precision guided munitions would work wonders you would think. They can carry the giant anti-ship missle, named the "Mosquito" oddly enough, also but imo it doesn't serve much of a purpose because of its weight.

The MiG-29K would be smaller and as a result would have less of a payload. So no strapping 12 R-27EMs to the bottom anymore
. But the 29 would fit the role perfectly since its more of a frontline aircraft. You aren't going to fly across the Caucaus in it (even though it is possible) at a good speed but as for providing top cover it seems to be a perfect candidate. Plus landing a 29 on the carrier is probably easier then landing the Su-33. I would imagine the Fulcrum would be a little more forgiving and agile.

[edit on 23-10-2009 by nastalgik]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
What's going to happen to the Flankers then? Rumor is that Russia has plans to build more carriers in the coming years, maybe they will be re-assigned to a newer taskforce than the Northern Fleet?

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi
What's going to happen to the Flankers then?

If you're referring to the Su-33's they'll likely be retired as the MiG-29K's replace are built. That being said, Sukhoi is said to be making a new Su-33 variant based on the newer tech in the later Flankers, including the more recent Su-35BM, so it's possible that there may be yet more Flankers to come.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri DzengalshleviWhat's going to happen to the Flankers then?

They are either are going to be converted to regular Su-27's or they are going to be scrapped. It all depends on the airframe time left on those birds IMO.

Rumor is that Russia has plans to build more carriers in the coming years, maybe they will be re-assigned to a newer taskforce than the Northern Fleet?

Well, Russia is planning to have 6 to 7 Kuznetsov sized Aviation Cruisers fully operational by 2050. Little too late for the Su-27K's. Maybe that the PAK FA will be still there in 2050.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Apparently the Russians seem to be refraining from taking any new Su-33K orders as seen here, when they apparently turned down an RFI from the Indian Navy:

India’s biggest military hardware supplier, Russia, which was asked for information on the Sukhoi-33, has opted out of the race saying it is phasing out the plane, a navy source told The Telegraph. But Russia is negotiating with China to sell 50 Sukhoi-33 aircraft for the Chinese PLA Navy’s aircraft-carrier programme.
Source

Haven't seen any of this show up elsewhere so was wondering about the legitimacy of this new piece of info.

At the risk of going off-topic, what makes this little RFI even more interesting is that the IN went to EADS and SAAB. So a Sea-Typhoon (resurrection?) or a Sea-Gripen?

The RFI was also sent out to to Boeing (F/A-18), Lockheed Martin (F-35), and of course never can leave out Dassault (Rafale).
Maybe this deserves a new thread in itself.

Now getting back on topic, here is an interesting video of Indian Navy MiG29Ks being tested off a carrier deck (Kuznetsov I presume?)..

www.liveleak.com...

Birds without a nest they are for now.. with the Gorshkov in perpetual political limbo

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus3

pardon me.. the title says kuznetsov..

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
Apparently the Russians seem to be refraining from taking any new Su-33K orders as seen here, when they apparently turned down an RFI from the Indian Navy

Interesting you mention the Su-33K though your quote seems to be speaking of the vanilla Su-33. Su-33 is going to be phased out as per the quote while Su-33K is an unannounced follow-up to the Su-33 using Su-35BM technology. Opinions around the net are contested as to whether it will see the light of day, though I suspect it will have more to do with what Carriers Russia intends to put into service. If Kuznetsov-style carriers are going to be introduced you can expect either a Su-33K as a heavy-class aircraft or a PAK-FA naval derivative since the MiG-29K does not seem to stretch the carrier's capabilities (notice in the clip in your link at about 32 seconds, the 29K is not using the ski-jump). If the 29K is going to be the only naval fighter aircraft then you can probably just expect smaller carriers to come out of Russia.

At the risk of going off-topic, what makes this little RFI even more interesting is that the IN went to EADS and SAAB. So a Sea-Typhoon (resurrection?) or a Sea-Gripen?

Doubtful. India is probably unwilling to pick up the tab to finish development of Sea-Typhoon or Sea-Gripen. As well, neither of those are really in the same class of aircraft as the heavy 33.

The RFI was also sent out to to Boeing (F/A-18), Lockheed Martin (F-35), and of course never can leave out Dassault (Rafale).

My bet is on the Super Hornet if all goes well, it's about as close as you'd get to a 33 on a carrier deck, though I'd be interested to see what challenges are present to handle such a heavy aircraft in STOBAR operations on a carrier not really designed for it.

Now getting back on topic, here is an interesting video of Indian Navy MiG29Ks being tested off a carrier deck (Kuznetsov I presume?)..

Confirmed by the video at 00:10.

[edit on 1/4/2010 by Darkpr0]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkpr0
If Kuznetsov-style carriers are going to be introduced you can expect either a Su-33K as a heavy-class aircraft or a PAK-FA naval derivative since the MiG-29K does not seem to stretch the carrier's capabilities (notice in the clip in your link at about 32 seconds, the 29K is not using the ski-jump). If the 29K is going to be the only naval fighter aircraft then you can probably just expect smaller carriers to come out of Russia.

I think what you saw one of a series mock-landing flybys that go over the carrier and not a proper stationary take-off. I can assure you that the MiG-29 and I think any other fixed wing carrier aircraft (with conventional thrust) operational at this time definitely needs a ski jump to take off or a catapult system.
In the case of the Kuznetsov, its the ski jump.

top topics

join