It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

massive bird extinction predicted for Australia (Queensland)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
On the news programs i just saw that many common species of birds in queensland, australia are predicted to become extinct in teh next few years, due to many years without sufficient rain for tree blossoms to grow - due to climate change etc; and also due to clearing of their habitat for houses; only allowing treed areas where the soil is POOR; becuz the GOOD soil land is used for growing human food/houses etc.

so our lovely friends the birds, including kookuburras - a unique australia icon - are predicted to die out - many of them- in the coming years. what a lonely world it will be without birds.

how will we feel?

how will we tell our children that the birds have gone?

(how also will we tell our children taht the coral reefs are gone, which is also predicted to occur).

humans MUST control their population growth.

ECONOMIC GROWTH CANNOT WORK FOREVER. IT IS NOT SUSTAINABLE. THERE ARE FINITE RESOURCES ON EARTH. GROWTH IS DEPENDENT ON EXPLOITATION OF THESE FINITE RESOURCES. THEY WILL RUN OUT. WHAT THEN?

people worry about the economy. we shud worry about the planet first, becuz without IT , there wont be any US to worry about the economy.

and i can promise you, if the animals start to die, humans will follow.

it appears as tho we are headed for another mass extinction, if we dont act now.

yet people tolerate their governments doing nothing about this problem.
the failure to switch to green energy is inexcusable. individuals with BILLIONS of dollars could make this happen, TOMORROW. there are 6 billion people on earth (correct if im wrong). the drug companies made 72 billion in profits... the money and resources are there - the govt could MAKE this happen, if it had the guts to do it. solar panels everywhere. there IS no excuse. every house with a solar panel and wind windmill. you can even build them yourself: www.power4home.com. for cheap.
the lies they are told every day.
the corrupt people ruling them.
and they still only think about economic growth when clearly this model for the economy does not work; and is based on greed and neverending growth of the human population and exploitation of the worlds resources and trashing of the planet.

WAKE UP.

before its too late.

[edit on 22-10-2009 by rapunzel222]

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Aye... the birds in QLD are awesome... Oh.. you mean the feathered variety! My bad! Actually... there are many places in QLD that are getting higher rainfall than say.. Victoria. The same applies to NT. The wet seasons provide them with an abundance of water.

My outlook is a little more positive than the article you sight. For the last few weeks now, we have had Kookaburra's all over the neighborhood. Haven't seen them in years.. so I guess that's a good thing!

In short, I think the general weather patterns will turn around again. No need for panic stations just yet.

IRM

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

well it wasnt really an article, it was on the news. they were pretty definite about it..

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Don't forget about all the Koala's that are getting pushed out of their homes for housing developments in booming suburbs, they think just shoving them onto another tree branch will fix the problem. Big problem in Brisbane latley, they are finding disorientated koalas on people doorsteps because they have lost their habitats.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
No offence but what a load of bollocks.I live in QLD and theres nothing wrong with the birds(both kinds)
.Its a big country,we will manage.

[edit on 23/10/09 by Moreonethananyone]

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Moreonethananyone

I actually said to my partner the other week how lovely the birdsong has been at the back of the creek lately! If anything we have noticed more squawking around our place then normal.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I agree that soon it will be tough on all in australia going by how Mr. Rudd see's Australia's future.

www.abc.net.au...

not only is there not going to be enough resouces for the animals on this continent but also for all these new populations that he wants, most of the population explosion is going to want to settle in the coastal areas which in turn will mean dezoneing of valuable forestry, nature conservation reserves and indiginous protected areas.
severe water shortages and the minimization of sustainable agricultural lands will also follow.
all these types of valuable areas will need to acomodate the growing populations and extra water and power supplys, jobs and housing leaving even less land for Australia's wildlife while adding more to the pollution and greenhouse senario in making Australia even more a dryer continent pf the future.

www.anra.gov.au...

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moreonethananyone
No offence but what a load of bollocks.I live in QLD and theres nothing wrong with the birds(both kinds)
.Its a big country,we will manage.

[edit on 23/10/09 by Moreonethananyone]

do you watch the news?

pretty ironic post given your signature.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   
The sky is falling. The sky is falling.

RUN Chicken Little The sky is falling.

Another fairy tale by the global warmers.

the BS is piling up.

We get about one of these stories a week here in the US.

Some like the ocean dead zones that the global warmers claim are caused by AGW turn out to be caused by overfishing.

Others like polar bears drowning in large numbers turn out to be fake stories.

Don't the global warmers think that many of us also have computer and check there stories to see if there is any facts or what non aligned scientist say about what is happening.

Not all of us are brain dead treehuggers.

What is the clue this is a fairy tale is the word "massive"
with global warming a few species might go extinct but most would move there range or be helped by global warming.
But they can not claim that because that would not look so bad. They have to pump up there fairy tale to make it the sound worse they can.

[edit on 25-10-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
excuse me but I believe there are many facts on why animals around the globe are becoming extinct, either from global warming, mankind, land clearing, diseases and many other reasons.
for someone calling anyone who cares about wildlife a "brain dead treehugger" certainly has a few rocks loose themselves.
why don't these disbelievers go back to their concrete jungles and try doing a bit of research themselves before posting such useless drival.
here is a start to some info,

www.environment.gov.au...

As to global warming, the Facts are that all life on this planet will be affected by as little as a 3-4 degree hike in temperatures. Have a bit of a think about that.

www.eci.ox.ac.uk...

[edit on 25-10-2009 by redgy]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
If they really are predicting mass extinctions its pretty pathetic that they have just accepted it.
You'd think they would try and prevent it..
The australian government is a joke.

new topics

top topics

join