It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Imagine a world without money

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by MaxBlack

Sounds a lot like what potential 'off world colony' life would be based on.

It's not copying the Mayan way, you can't forget their rituals like the solar sacrifices, but the money-free system is kind of like a natural progression.

A colony lifestyle would be based on everyone having shelter and providing for the community. Some provide food while others offer technical expertise, and others manual skills.

Though a slight monetary introduction wouldn't break the system as you consider that luxuries aren't exactly covered by a need basis and causes an eventuality that can dishevel the money-free system.

A person making luxury items would amass many 'favors' that would attribute wealth, since those luxury items aren't specific. Unlike food which is necessary and anyone can do, those food makers aren't going to amass any favors because their needs are filled by the other necessary providers. Thus a luxury provider has a blank field as they can give to everyone without really needing everything they get in return creating a surplus. Though in time the food provider may gain favors if nothing is needed, granted they actually want them.

An example being that they provide to three food producers that make food only, and offer nothing else the luxury provider needs, thus they now have three times the food as the technician would have by offering to fix a broken generator, or something. Again though, any provider in that community could eventually amass favors with the others in time, thus they would come to need some sort of 'placeholder'. Also again, if they actually wanted those favors to begin with.

Money would eventually end up existing in a base form, for the sole purpose of relegating immediate needs and unnecessary needs into seperate categories. If they follow that structure of course. Even the Mayans would have had some sort of eventual trade idea that wouldn't stay the same over time.

It's may not be needed if everyone doesn't take favors for their provisions, but that's a social development that people may not take to very easily.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I haven't read threw any others but ur intital thread...and i have to say its quite amazing. My girlfriend and I, were doing the EXACT same thing a month or so ago...and we had the EXACT same conclusion.
We wanted to Volunteer...cant get there without gas...and if we take time off work, then we wont have money FOR gas to go do these things.
A simple thing as "lets go camping"
came out to at lEAST 200.00 to do
its utterly sad =/

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sgrrsh26

It would be a wonderful world IMO. Have you noticed 9 out of 10 futuristic show/movies, like Star trek... there is little or no currency mostly tradeable items needed for survival or comfort.

All I do know is that the older I get the more I wonder about this freakin RAT RACE. 2 day week-ends are just not enough.
I only wish I was aware, as you seem to be. Run with your gut.

<< 1   >>

join