It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicians Have Less Respect For Obese Patients, Study Suggests

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

So choose organic.

Like we're all supposed to stop eating fruits and vegetables because of pesticides? I suppose we should stop eating fish too because of mercury? Meat because of antibiotics?

Let's all just sit back and wait for the government to grind our dead into soylent green.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

I think you hit the nail on the head.

I have my own theory on society's current obsession with physical appearances (including weight). I believe our society associates physical perfection with success and wealth. After all, if you are wealthy, you can afford the plastic surgery, the latest fashions, etc. Look at the majority of our celebrities: they are all the epitome of beauty and the posterchildren of success. In return, therefore, we equate those who don't fit the stereotype of beauty as being less successful and, dare I say, perhaps less deserving of our regard? It is my opinion that this attitude is a form of discrimination.

I don't think this is an excuse to be overweight, just an observation I've made.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

I'm divided on this issue. I agree with you, her obesity certainly would impact her children and their health IF her obesity was related to gluttony and not a medical condition. So perhaps removing the children is in their best interest so that they don't adopt her poor eating habits.

But if you take her children away for this, shouldn't you also take away children of smokers? Alchoholics? After all, children who live in a tobacco-filled home are more likely to begin smoking....and smoking is just as detrimintal to the health as obesity.

Where do we draw the line?

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Your one of those people who have such an easy answer for everything. You just know it all and the world is black and white. Oh to live in a world that is so easy, with only two colors in it.

This will also be my last post becuase statements like these border on the ridiculous.

You must not have to do your own food shopping. Poor people can't afford organic. It would be nice. Why do you think the obese tend to be poor? Cheaper crappier food. You will only find mcdonalds in a poorer areas. They prey on the poor. Who most likely work long hours and don't have as much time to exercise.

It is easy to judge when your so high on a perch. But the world of the view isn't real.

Next your gonna say: well they should of gone to college then.

nixie out

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I'd never suggest anyone go to college. It's a crock and an immense expense. The myth of education as investment rarely pans out and the risk is too high.

I do my own food shopping. I spend roughly $40/month on food. I never eat crap. I work 12 hour days. Still manage to get a ride or run in.

The answers I have arent easy and often require a lot of work and definitely require priority planning. What I dont have time for is endless excuse trains that go nowhere but to despair.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Foods like:

# Apples, Apricots, Bananas, Brazil Nuts, Brown Rice, Cantaloupe, Figs, Honeydew, Kiwi, Legumes, Lima beans, Milk, Oranges, Orange Juice, Peaches, Potatoes, Prunes, Rasins, Roasted Peanuts with skin, Spinach, Squash, Vegetable Juices, Wheat Bread, White Rice, Winter Squash, Yogurt

Apples may have too much sugar for people watching their insulin intake. Bananas are good source of potassium ,but they are also loaded with sugar and can only be eaten in small amounts. All of the fruits must be avoided or extremely limited. The juices are way more sugary than the fruit. I won't touch restaurant potatoes. They are almost always GMO. Legumes , nuts ,and beans are terrible things for the under active thyroid.

# Tomatoes, milk products, avocados, meats, potato, celery

# Carrots, broccoli, rasins, prunes, watermelon,

Tomatoes are fine but avoid GMO. Avocados fine watch the fat but most restaurants add sour cream to avacados. Meats ?depends on the cut and how it is cooked. Most restaurants will use butter; the worse ones will cook food in soybean oil. Soy bean oil is the most terrible food anyone could eat.All flowery vegetables are bad for the thyroid ; they contribute to the formation of goiters.These include broccli and cauliflower

Or is potassium different than patassium?

I meant potassium. I will attack the rest of your list later.Much what is on your lists will not help people with glandular, thyroid diseases, and diabetes lose weight. You should never assume what is good for you is good for others. As much as waiters hate fat people , you would like me less. I am very picky about what I eat. I know all the tricks cooks use to fatten up the cattle.

[edit on 24-10-2009 by eradown]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by eradown

So why are you eating out?

Especially if you have such strict parameters on your diet.

It's costly, inefficient and by virtue of ones own standards of consumption risky and unregulated.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flighty
reply to post by Aggie Man

You're just assuming this lack of respect is only showed by doctors in a worst case health issue scenario that is brought on by a persons obesity.

Umm, no I'm not. I experience the same thing from my doctor every time I go in for a upper respiratory infection, because I smoke and my Dr. has told me numerous times to quit. I know that my Doc has less respect for me because of that.

So, it's not just the obese that Dr.s feel that way about. But my original response in this thread still stands. Why respect a patient that ignores solid medical advice? It's a slap in the face to physicians that care about their patients well being.

[edit on 24-10-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
reply to post by Snarf

I'm divided on this issue. I agree with you, her obesity certainly would impact her children and their health IF her obesity was related to gluttony and not a medical condition. So perhaps removing the children is in their best interest so that they don't adopt her poor eating habits.

But if you take her children away for this, shouldn't you also take away children of smokers? Alchoholics? After all, children who live in a tobacco-filled home are more likely to begin smoking....and smoking is just as detrimintal to the health as obesity.

Where do we draw the line?

Hmmmm exactly where would it end? Society is designed in such a way you can't put pressure on a few and the whole not feel the effects eventually.

[edit on 24-10-2009 by Chai_An]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

Umm yogurt and oatmeal are full of carbs.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
When you have a disorder that is has a side effect of weight gain you can only gain that weight by eating CARBOHYDRATE! Don't give me this crap "I have a condition and I ate healthy and still gained weight" Well your definition of healthy must be skewed. Just because it grows in the ground does not mean it is healthy or that you won't get fat from it.

car·bo·hy·drate audio (kärb-hdrt) KEY

NOUN:

Any of a group of organic compounds that includes sugars, starches, celluloses, and gums. These compounds are produced by photosynthetic plants and contain only carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen, usually in the ratio 1:2:1.

You do not even need carbs to survive and yes you can thrive without them. Read the third paragraph of this article. www.articlesphere.com...

There are many many medical resources that prove this. The human body NEEDS 3 things Fat, Protein, and Water. I challenge someone to go on a very low carb high fat/protein diet and come back with your results. Get bloodwork before and after. I will guarantee you will not only be thinner but you will also be healthier.

Check out this documentary called Fat Head-www.fathead-movie.com...

[edit on (10/24/09) by gnosis111]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   

# Hamburger, grains such as bran and wheat.

Hamburger has too much fat ;try buffalo meat. Cows and buffalo are the same species; they produce fertile offspring when mated together but buffalo has only a fraction of the calories and fat that cows have. Wheat should also be avoided or limited.

# Artichoke, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Corn, Dates, Green Beans, Green Peppers, Iceburg

Artichoke and asparagus I am not totally sure about. They may be all right but broccli , cabbage, cauliflower are not good for the underactive thyroid.

Corn bad for the underactive thyroid; GMO corn is worse.

# Letttuce, Kidney Beans, Onions, Papayas, Parsley, Pumpkin, Peas, Romaine Lettuce, Strawberries, Sweet Potato, Tomato. Note that potassium is found in the skin of many vegetables.

Lettuce in restaurants is ususally mixed with cabbage. I would not eat it ,unless, I was putting on a show for the self righteous.

Kidney beans they are on the bean family so they are not good for the thyroid.

Pumpkin ,yes. Peas, bean family,no. Strawberries ,yes, in moderation. Sweet potato ,yes. The non GMO African yam is supperior to most poatoes and sweet potatoes. The best potato is the non GMO purple Peruvian potato.

The best vegetable for the thyroid is alfalfa.

Fish and eggs are the best protien. Pork, chicken ,and buffalo are second best protien.

The thyroid diet in conjunction with adkins is also good. Vegetarianism may not work well for people with thyroid problems in my experience.

[edit on 24-10-2009 by eradown]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   

reply to post by eradown

So why are you eating out?

I don't go out to eat that much. When I do,it is usually a special occassion. Even so, I order carefully and only eat half. I certainly do not focus on what strangers are eating. I am not barred from eating good things like steak, fish, chicken, lamb, pork ,and buffalo ,but I do pass on the carbs. I eat the protien in moderation.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Your doctor can either:

-Give you a lecture on how bad being obese for you, how it predisposes you to umpteen conditions including diabetes, arthritis, heart dz. and on and on and trys to get you to handle it by diet, life style, diet drugs or surgery.

-Make light of being obese. Heck, the doctor and most of the patients are overweight, it's no big deal.

-Overlook your obesity entirely and just treat whatever condition you came in with.

You choose. If you don't like the doctor's approach you go somewhere else next time, right? That is unless you have Obamacare, then you get in line and take what you get!

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by gnosis111

Oh quit being so damn hostile toward people. You are not everyone's dietitian. I lost 80 pounds over a year and a half and guess what i ate? CARBS. Oh yeah, I ate those. Always have, always will. I weigh 133 pounds. The problem at hand is I cannot digest meat well so i only eat it once a day. Everyone is unique and has their own needs as far as diet goes. For hundreds of years mankind has eaten carbs. Calm yourself, if you feel the need to scream at people go start a radio show like Alex Jones called "Carb war" or something.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
There are many on this thread who think obesity is caused only when people eat too much or too many carbs too fatty of meals, too many processed meals and so on. Head injuries can cause obesity Causes of Obesity
possible Obesity Virus

Obesity may follow due to damage of hypothalamus after head injury because it is not able to regulate appetite or satiety.

Causes of Obesity in Children with acquired brain injury

In a nutshell you can't apply a one size fit all mentality towards weight gain or health because everybody is different and every situation different. There are even doctors who have the one size fit all for health and well-being which is based on educated ignorance. Folks will need to listen to their bodies if they seek balance and health instead of beating themselves up for being overweight and despised by mean spirited people with their own issues.

[edit on 25-10-2009 by Chai_An]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Chai_An

I agree. I gained weight eating a moderate diet ,which based on common knowledge, I thought was good for me. It turned out the cabbage and the broccli where slowing my metabolism down. Many of these disorders causing obesity require medical intervention in order for exercise and diet to work. Most doctors are inadquately trained in helping obese people.The desire for sweets and carbs is a symptom of fatigue. Diet does not change the fatigue which accompanies autoimmune dissorders which can cause obesity. It is terrible to expect people to suffer unrelenting fatigue when proper medicine could help.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Why do so many people think diabetics are all fat, people are so misinformed about diabetes, My daughter is a juvenile diabetic, she came down with it at age 16, at that time she weighed 112 lbs.

Type one diabetes has nothing to do with what you eat,

She is now 21, weighs 125lbs and is almost six feet tall, and she eats like a horse,

Type 1 diabetes (formerly called insulin-dependent diabetes or juvenile diabetes) results when the pancreas loses its ability to make the hormone insulin. In type 1 diabetes, the person's own immune system attacks and destroys the cells in the pancreas that produce insulin. Once those cells are destroyed, they won't ever make insulin again.

[edit on 033131p://bSunday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by eradown
reply to post by Chai_An

I agree. I gained weight eating a moderate diet ,which based on common knowledge, I thought was good for me. It turned out the cabbage and the broccli where slowing my metabolism down. Many of these disorders causing obesity require medical intervention in order for exercise and diet to work. Most doctors are inadquately trained in helping obese people.The desire for sweets and carbs is a symptom of fatigue. Diet does not change the fatigue which accompanies autoimmune dissorders which can cause obesity. It is terrible to expect people to suffer unrelenting fatigue when proper medicine could help.

If people have never been in that situation I guess it's hard for them to accept that these things sometimes happens without the "accepted" behaviors causing them to happen.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

You are correct diabetes affects everyone differently, not everyone gains weight. I know three people with diabetes and two gained a lot of weight when it wasn't under control but lost the weight when their insulin levels were under control, were well hydrated, and became a bit more active. The third person had diabetes all her life so she didn't gain weight but at one point the doctors had to change her dosage because she was losing weight, she was already considered underweight.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join