It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicians Have Less Respect For Obese Patients, Study Suggests

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
feeling sorry for an obese person with health problems is no more than feeling sorry for a guy who crashed into a tree after driving his motorcycle 120 mph down an icy country road while wearing no helmet.

I'm not the ideal posterchild for physical fitness myself..but i'd never let myself get to a point that one could call me "obese"

I do not wish harm upon anyone, but you reap what you sew.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by gnosis111
reply to post by Jessicamsa

Even if you eat 1000 calories a day you can get fat. It is carbohydrate that is the problem. Cut your carbs not your calories. That dietitian you went to needs their liscence revoked.

When I was eating 1000 calories a day it was all stuff like yogurt, oatmeal, and protein. I was rarely eating carbs at all.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Some of these replies make me sick!
My mother was over weight all her life. From the time I was very little all I can remember is her trying everything under the sun to lose weight. Sweating to the Oldies, Jazzercise, hiking, square dancing, then on to the diet pills and starvation diets. She became addicted to diet pills, the heard Ritalin caused weight loss so she would take me to every Dr. in town saying I had add to get multiple scripts. Eventually she moved on to meth. She never lost a single pound. Her desperation to lose weight finally killed her.
It is my belief that she had an undiagnosed medical condition that made her unable to lose weight no mater how much exercise and how little food she ate.

I for one have always eaten right and got plenty of exercise as a dancer but after my 3rd child I started having a weight problem. Turned out I had PCOS
cysts on my ovaries that released hormones that caused me to gain weight. It took 4 years before they diagnosed me, and it was by pure accident. I remember fighting with my dr. so frustrated because I knew I got more than enough exercise and the bulk of my diet was foods straight from my garden. I finaly begun to lose weight after I was treated, but the assumption that I wasn't living a healthy lifestyle when it was like a religion to me really ticked me the heck off. (tried to put that in less offensive terms)

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
CARCOMORPHOBIA - The irrational fear of fat people OR a disgust and hatred for fat people

www.definition-of.com...

Maybe these doctors should go see their shrinks and cure themselves of this phobia that is plaguing their profession

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Two thoughts went through my head as I read this.

1. How did they measure respect levels in this study?

2. Obese people are usually very sensitive people. Doctors usually don't beat around the bush when it comes to telling it like it is - it's thier job. So telling an obese person that they need to lose weight for their health is not being disrespectful and cruel. Though I can see how an obese person might get upset at this directness when they are use to everyone else in their life pussyfooting around the topic in order not to hurt their feelings.

Though I'm sure some level of discrimination exists, I don't think 'respect' can really be validly measured.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I keep hearing....

IF you eat like a pig, you're disgusting and don't deserve respect.

That's what I keep reading on this thread...and to be honest, I'm wondering....why?

Why doesn't ANY human being, regardless of their weaknesses or failures, short of extreme violence against others, deserve respect?

IF we can't respect someone that is fat, how can we respect ourselves and our OWN humanity?

I'm sorry, I don't get it. And what I REALLY don't get is that this sort of prejudice did not exist in the 70s. Back then, fat folks were just fat folks. Lots of folks had fat husbands, and fat wives. People were not really 'expected' to look superhot when they were 45.

I think we are being programmed to hate. I do. I can't think of any other good reason for it.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by eradown

Or i work at a restaurant. And of course i look at people, you stare at the person in front of you and your'e plate the whole time?

I look where i please

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Retikx

I wasn't one of the fat folks over eating in your restaurant. For the most part ,I do not eat out. When I did go out to eat I ate salad. The salad usually had cabbage in it. I usually dipped some of it in honey mustard. The mustard and the cabbage are both terrible for the thyroid , but at least the selfrightious would have been satified seeing me eat such stuff.

Obesity is a control issue. Sluggish , tired, unhealthy people are easier to control than healthy people.Flourine destroys the thyroid. The poorer neighborhoods have higher levels of flourine than the more exclusive neighborhoods. Flourine was also used to control concentration camp inmates. Lithium also takes out the thyroid. I suspect lithium may also be in the water. Studies have shown lower crime rates in areas where lithium is abundant in the soil. Insulin has also been used by psychiatrists to control people. It is bad enough that some people will resort to drugging the masses , but it is almost unforgivable to heap disdain on victims of such abuse.

For every mean thing said about obese people twenty mean and viscious things should be said about the powerful people who are indulging in mass poisoning. It is easier to attack fat people because for the most part they have been drugged into submission. Attack one of the dragons poisoning the water and the food of the commoners ,and they will attack back. My guess is the waiter who treats fat people like garbage bends over backward to be nice when a dragon is sitting in his restaurant.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I understand that enzymes and glands and certain conditions can result in a system not tuned to process things well or one that is more apt to horde and store.

But you can't create something from nothing. You could have all the medical issues in the world related to weight gain and slow metabolism etc.. and if you dont put anything into the system it isnt going to magically and mystically create layers and layers of fat.

Your body is no different than any other vessel in that you get out what you get in. Nothing simply manifests inside of you just as nothing simply leaks out.

If you have some medical issue that alters how your body functions then deal with it and adjust your life accordingly.

What I hear when the "my glands" excuse is trotted out is that you don't want to put that pizza down but you dont like the state of your body either.

Like a diabetic constantly passing out because he just loves Snickers bars and refuses to face the reality that if doesn't want to keep passing out he can't be eating those Snickers.

Use as many or more calories as you put in. Whether t not calories from certain sources behave differently in your body is up to you to figure out and adjust the sources accordingly.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
i believe the part that a lot of people keep over looking is the fact that this fat woman was forcing her lifestyle on her children.

Eating McDonalds and fast food every day as a child is HORRIBLE.

It's not the childs choice - its the childs only option.

There's a big difference.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I have tried to explain this already. You need a minimum amount of potassium or you will have heart attack and die even if fat. Most of the foods which contain potassium also contain garbage.People who are hypothyroidal can gain weight if the diet they are on is not geared for an underactive thyroid. Even calorie restrictive diets have garbage in them. The garbage goes in ,but it does not come out. Severe constipation is one more insidous way the hypothyroidal can gain weight.

[edit on 24-10-2009 by eradown]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
If you think it is all calories in, calories out - easy to control....

Try having to take prednisone for months straight.
I gained 40 pounds...in ONE week.
I honestly did not think that was humanly possible.
My eating habits...did not change.
It's not uncommon- I was talking to one guy with my condition on steriods, he gained 150 pounds in 3 months.

I'm off them now, and thought, surely a lot of this is water weight and will come off when the medicine stops....but oh no....

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by eradown

Your right, this person obviously has no idea what they are talking about. And there are more then just thyroid conditions. There are all sorts of hormone disorders that cause weight problems.

And when you are treated for them, you are treated for life.

And there is nothing you can do about them.

There are medications that make people gain weight like crazy. Prednisone, and some anti depressants make you gain weight. And some birth controls. They do make your body think your pregnant after all.

I have never known anyone who took Prozac who didn't gain at least 30-50 pounds in a few months.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

I have the same issue, I take prednisone and I barely eat. Why do you think weightlifters take it?

The effects can actually stay in your body for quite some time. It just may take awhile for it to come down. Be patient.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Just out of curiosity, what are the school lunch programs like in the UK?

For one, the problem here in the US is that the schools feed the kids garbage. Pizza and hamburgers everyday, and cheap canned fruit.

In my school, if someone wanted a salad, they would have to take the condiments off the hamburger stand and make a pseudo salad.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by eradown Most of the foods which contain patassium also contain garbage.

Foods like:

# Apples, Apricots, Bananas, Brazil Nuts, Brown Rice, Cantaloupe, Figs, Honeydew, Kiwi, Legumes, Lima beans, Milk, Oranges, Orange Juice, Peaches, Potatoes, Prunes, Rasins, Roasted Peanuts with skin, Spinach, Squash, Vegetable Juices, Wheat Bread, White Rice, Winter Squash, Yogurt

# Tomatoes, milk products, avocados, meats, potato, celery

# Carrots, broccoli, rasins, prunes, watermelon,

# Fish: Cod, flounder, sardines, salmon, poultry: chicken, turkey are high potassium foods.

# Hamburger, grains such as bran and wheat.

# Artichoke, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Corn, Dates, Green Beans, Green Peppers, Iceburg

# Letttuce, Kidney Beans, Onions, Papayas, Parsley, Pumpkin, Peas, Romaine Lettuce, Strawberries, Sweet Potato, Tomato. Note that potassium is found in the skin of many vegetables.

Or is potassium different than patassium?

[edit on 24-10-2009 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   

The Banana is also a good source of potassium.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

A few years ago, they were diabolical, but lately there has been a massive push to make them healthy. They get salads and other wholesome meals like lasagne or cottage pie, rather than Pizza's and burgers which they used to have. Chips are a rare treat too. They also get free fruit at primary school too.

Would you believe it took a celebrity chef, Jamie Oliver, to actually get the Government to take action. They ignored for years the parents complaining.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

consumer health

recent report from Consumer Reports reveals unsafe levels of pesticide residues on certain fresh fruits and vegetables, including many that are grown in the United States. The produce was scored based on how many samples contained pesticides, the average amount, and the toxicity of particular pesticides found. The test data is from USDA testing, with foods prepared as they would be at home (bananas and oranges peeled, etc.). Each sample was a composite of about five pounds of produce. A score over 100 is cause for concern.

Peaches, domestically grown (N. America)- 4,848
Peaches from Chile- 471
Winter squash, domestically grown- 1,706
Apples, domestically grown- 550
Pears, domestically grown- 435
Pears from Mexico- 415
Spinach, domestically grown- 349
Spinach from Mexico- 256
Grapes, domestically grown- 228
Grapes from Chile- 339
Celery, domestically grown- 255
Green beans, domestically grown- 222

n 1991, a researcher at the University of Vermont, where Monsanto was spending nearly half a million dollars to fund test trials of rBGH, leaked information about severe health problems affecting rBGH-treated cows, including mastitis and deformed births. The scientist heading the research had already made numerous public statements to state lawmakers and the press and released a preliminary report indicating that rBGH-treated cows suffered no abnormal rates of health problems compared with untreated cows.

milk

[edit on 24-10-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf
i believe the part that a lot of people keep over looking is the fact that this fat woman was forcing her lifestyle on her children.

Eating McDonalds and fast food every day as a child is HORRIBLE.

It's not the childs choice - its the childs only option.

There's a big difference.

Who in this thread are you talking about?? What child??

Have you seen the old commercials for McDonalds? They promoted their hamburgers years ago as having 100% pure beef, making them sound healthy to many people. Sure, now more and more people are becoming aware of the truth, but I recall the commercials when I was a kid and I had been taught that beef was a meat and part of the food pyramid. I was taught to think from childhood that it was healthy. I avoid the stuff since learning otherwise, but it's still a false image that was pushed on the naive public for years.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join