It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABUSE CRISIS: Reuters Employees Abused by American Troops in Iraq

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Reuters is releasing the story today of additional stories of abuse, this time against their Iraqi employees while being detained in a military camp near Falluja. The information provided by the Reuters employees correspond with the stories come from the ABu Ghraib prison, indicating more evidence of a widespread culture of abuse among American troops. CAUTION: GRAPHIC LANGUAGE

Among the serious allegations are reports there were forced to insert their fingers in their anus then lick it, and put their shoes in their mouths (very humiliating in Arab cultures).

News.MyWay.com All three said they were forced to make demeaning gestures as soldiers laughed, taunted them and took photographs. They said they did not want to give details publicly earlier because of the degrading nature of the abuse. The soldiers told them they would be taken to the U.S. detention center at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, deprived them of sleep, placed bags over their heads, kicked and hit them and forced them to remain in stress positions for long periods.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
ATSNN Special Coverage of the Abuse Crisis Related News CIA Denies Magazine Article on Iraqi Abuse Program Pentagon seeks to quash Rumsfeld report Rumsfeld reportedly approved interrogation plan [Edited on 18-5-2004 by SkepticOverlord] [Edited on 19-5-2004 by SkepticOverlord] [Edited on 19-5-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   

An Iraqi journalist working for U.S. network NBC, who was arrested with the Reuters staff, also said he had been beaten and mistreated, NBC said Tuesday.

Why has this not come out when the original Abuse accusations and Photos were brought forward? Will any other networks follow?

This is kinda hard to believe.

[Edited on 18-5-2004 by TrickmastertricK]

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Boy, when the admin said the worst was yet to come, they weren't kidding. The more that comes to light, the clearer it becomes that this was far more than random acts by a few out-of-control or undertrained guards.

These acts, IMHO, reflect a coordinated and planned pattern of behaviour on the part of the US. As an American, I am ashamed. I know I'll get flamed by some who will point to the brutality of the Berg murder and the earlier mutilations. But the fact is their actions do not justify what we're now seeing. And besides, the American actions preceded the Iraqi atrocities. If we present ourselves as taking the high road, then we damn well better stay on it!

Yea, I think this will eventually reach all the way up to Rumsfeld.

[Edited on 5/18/2004 by CommonSense]

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
for interogating war criminals you have to bring the prisoner to a certain point he weakens and becomes willing to talk and tell what the intelligence people want to know !
psychological you have to handle arabs other way than you should do with europeans !
besides...if it matters to save the western world i even think deadly force may be used against the enemy.
oh yes and about arab journalists ... all of them co-operate with the enemy, not the least the gang of al-jazeera!
normal handling of these items would be firing squad or hanging by the neck processed by a military court.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
First prisoners, and now journalists getting abused by American Troops. Things just keep getting uglier and uglier. Where does it stop.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOGODSINTHEUNIVERSE
for interogating war criminals you have to bring the prisoner to a certain point he weakens and becomes willing to talk and tell what the intelligence people want to know !

It would be one thing if these were prisoners. These people were journalists or Iraqis working for news outlets. If we can't figure out who to haul in, we're in more trouble than I thought! Second point, virtually every expert I've seen or read states that torture doesn't work. They simply tell you what they think you want to hear.

Folks, with what's coming out here, we may be looking at war crimes trials notwithstanding the US getting its troops exempted prior to the war.

[Edited on 5/18/2004 by CommonSense]

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   
people if you expect clean wars...
these do NOT exist !

clean wars you find only in films...films are illusions created in purpose to amuse the spectators !

[Edited on 18-5-2004 by NOGODSINTHEUNIVERSE]

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
NGITU,
Your attitude reflects your user name. I really believe our greatest accomplishment in Iraq will be creating the next generation of radical Islamic fundamentalists. That's sure something to be proud of!

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
may i point out that the two atomic bombs were dropped on japan for less than what is now on stake here !!
the whole western civilization depends on how the USA beats the enemy and makes it clear to the enemy that they keep on beating them everytime they make a move to be a threat to the western civilization

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   
This is both sad and disgusting, and will probably have effects that american people will feel for decades to come. I would dare say the hatred toward anyone american has gone up 10 fold in the past year. Before this mess I would have liked to seen parts of the world outside the US borders, but with the way things are going it wont be safe for Americans to travel abroad, for fear of attack by just about anyone at any time for the atrocities committed during this war.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Quote: "two atomic bombs were dropped on japan for less than what is now on stake here!!"

How do you figure that there is more at stake now than there was in WWII??? In WWII, we were under the threat of being invaded by Japan, and now we're under the threat of "terrorism". The best way to fight terrorism is to fight it with democracy and freedom, not with war and violence. If we can't solve our own problems, then we shouldn't try and solve other people's problems.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
there is no place for any sympathy to the enemy,no matter how much money is spended in a mediawar against the USA by the enemy !

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I'm not even going to argue with some one who uses the word "spended".

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Slayer, You may have noticed, I dropped out after the bomb!

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Good Idea!!! This arguement has become really un-intellegent, due to NGIITU's closed mind.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOGODSINTHEUNIVERSE
may i point out that the two atomic bombs were dropped on japan for less than what is now on stake here !!
the whole western civilization depends on how the USA beats the enemy and makes it clear to the enemy that they keep on beating them everytime they make a move to be a threat to the western civilization

Yeah, but the dropping of the atom bomb was more of a demonstration of nuclear power to Russia. The US could have waitied until Russia entered the war, after which Japan almost surely would have surrendered. But the US did not wait because:
-They wanted to assert their power
-They did not want Russia to partake of the spoils of war
-They wanted a chance to study its effects and it was kind of a "now or maybe never," kind of thing.
-They completely underestimated the effects of radiation, and hence underestimated the damage the bomb would do.

In response to slayer....we were not under threat of invasion from Japan. The Japanese navy was essentialy ruined, and they had been beaten back to the mainland.

[Edited on 18-5-2004 by spngsambigpants]

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   
When you compare this present situation to WWII it's like comparing apples to oranges. Two totally different times. As far as the spreading of the abuse to others just shows how out of control things are over there.

Saying that you need torture to get valid intelligence is ludacris. Most psychologists will tell you that torture and abuse only pushes the subject to higher resolve and that most of the intelligence gathered is of no real use as it is more than likely just something given to stop the abuse.

However, the U.S. is no better than Saddam. People are getting tortured just as they did when he was in power. The only difference is that they didn't have to worry about getting shot by Coalition soldiers.

Thank God I live in Canada.

Oh yeah, if you're American I'd think twice about travelling outside of your borders

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 04:19 AM
link   
To all, haven't you sussed nogodsintheuniverse yet ? The grammar he uses (or rather total lack of it) and the language indicates somebody who is still at school with a sad ubringing or somebody who should be cared for in a hospital for people with learning difficulties.

regards,

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 04:41 AM
link   
verbal abuse does'nt pay at all !
anyway i did not get bad comments of true americans !
they know that no victims of the wtc towers can tell you anymore how does it feel if you are squashed with tons of building after an airplane exploded in the building !
all who underestimate what is going on in arabia now
will feel sorry in about short time !

english is not my first language,but i bloody think everybody can understand without a problem what the meaning is of my explanations.
at least i do my best to read,write and understand 4 languages

and what about you all who write insults to me ?

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Once again, why are people who are for this war whingeing about the treatment of prisoners, journalists and civilians ? what did you expect ?

You wanted a war, well, here it is, warts and all.

If you don't like witnessing atrocities committed against civilians, if you don't want your government to sanction Torture then the only sane view you can take is to be against the war.

I don't agree with the people who are saying "war is hell string em up and be damned to the consequences" But at least their stance makes some sort of logical sense ( i.e. they are lunatics, they can accept lunatic measures ) But being pro-war and anti torture and abuse ? What, did you think that after we'd knocked out the opposition with pillow bombs ( and specifically only people we knew were the enemy, not any civillians or anything ) we'd extract information from them by asking really really nicely ?

Stop the war.
wars are messy violent and stupid .

top topics

<<   2 >>

join