It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Wearing Hats Make You Go Bald ? - Repost

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
NOTE: This thread was originally started on another forum but when an attempt was made to move it here, it got deleted. So here it is again.

If a person constantly wears a hat, will that person go bald?]

Based on my personal observations and experiences, I would have to say yes.
Yes, yes, I know I know, ... it's the genes, stupid!
But to what degree?

I myself don't wear hats. It's not because I think some hats look kinda dorky, but because if I happen to wear a hat, cap or even a hoodie for a short period of time, the top of my head begins to itch.
It feels like my head is beginning to boil and I begin to wonder if I'm actually burning away and losing my hair follicles or something, so I quickly ditch the hat.

As for my brothers and I, we all have a thick head of hair, all except for one, the brother that wears a ball cap on a regular basis.
He is not exactly bald but his hair is a lot thinner even than that of my Fathers.
My Dad never wear a hat.
All of his brothers, my Uncles, have/had thick dark hair and I don't ever remember any of them wearing hats.

Now on my Mom's side of the family it's a different story because there are plenty of bald headed males.
My maternal Grrand Dad was bald and he always wore his hat, even indoors.
Nice big hat with the wide brim, just like the kind worn by Mexican field and farm workers.
His Sons are all either bald on top or have extremely thin hair and for as long as I can remember they all always wore hats.
Even their Sons, my cousins, are all follically challenged and they too have worn ball caps since their early years.

Seems like the more the've worn these ball caps, the balder they have become over the years.

Yet, this doesn't apply to just my family members because I work with a few individuals who also happen to be bald and they always bring their hats to work.

So I repeat the question, does wearing hats make you go bald?

Yes, I know it's genetic, but which gene are we talking about here?

It's probably a combination of various genetic factors but what's the biggest contributing factor?

Is it the "baldness" gene, or is it the "habit of wearing hats" gene that gets passed on to the next generation?

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I don't know about the hats/baldness connection but I do know that's there is a connection between vitamin D deficiency and hair loss:

ezinearticles.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro

So I repeat the question, does wearing hats make you go bald?

Yes, I know it's genetic, but which gene are we talking about here?

It's probably a combination of various genetic factors but what's the biggest contributing factor?

Is it the "baldness" gene, or is it the "habit of wearing hats" gene that gets passed on to the next generation?

Now since I started losing my hair at the young age of twenty, and have always worn a hat, I'm afraid that I am not a good candidate to answer this question.

But I would like to know the answer even if it is too late for me.
:shk:

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
this post dissappeared quicker than my hair lol - only difference is, the post came back!!
Anyway, to repeat what i said,

I started losing it slowly in my mid 20 to late 20's which horrified me, so i started wearing a cap. However, this seemed to speed up the hair loss, and therefore i wore a cap more....it seemed to speed up the loss exponentially.
Its cool now as i have a completely shaved head, and it suits me better, and is easier to maintain.
I think either the temperature that the cap causes, or the friction of it being pulled on and off or even the fact that caps are generally quite tight could all be contributing factors.
I also said that I wondered if crash helmets could cause the same problem, as I definitely noticed a loss of hair in lewis hamilton over the last couple of years - maybe just natural, but just made me wonder.
Cheers for putting this back!

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Imagine stepping on a weed. That's what wearing a hat all the time does.

Also people in Northern region have thinner hair than people in the tropics. Also hats make your hair redundant. As Nature would say, "use it or lose it."

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by eldard

So if I stop wearing a hat, nature will take over and it will grow back??

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4c2452e94375.gif[/atsimg]

But I needs my tinfoil!!!

join