It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extinct animals could be brought back to life thanks to advances in DNA technology

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Extinct animals could be brought back to life thanks to advances in DNA technology

www.telegraph.co.uk

The idea of resurrecting extinct animals moved a step closer to reality last year when scientists announced that they had decoded almost all of the genome of the woolly mammoth, from 60,000-year-old remains found frozen in Siberia.
Now New Scientist magazine has named the 10 other beasts most likely to rise again, including the Irish elk deer whose antlers measured 12 feet across, the dodo and Neanderthal man.
Animals that died out thousands of years ago could be recreated using genetic information retrieved from well-preserved specimens recovered from permafrost, dark caves or dry desserts.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Could you imagine ?

I think it's only a matter of time now until science does in fact bring something back from extinction .

This would create a lot of moral issues to some but that aside this is something destined to take place , wether we like it or not .

What fashion would this manifest into ? Would we in fact see zoo's pop up featuring some brought back animal ? Or would any such creation be kept in a lab ? One thing is for sure , it could never be released into the wild .

Now to be honest with you all , I would be very interested in seeing a dinosaur some where down the line at the local zoo even if there are a lot of other issues surrounding this topic .

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Please do a Jurassik Park! PLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSSSEEEEEEEE.

That would kick butts. For real.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I think we should resurrect all the animals that existed during early Paleolithic period..

and then eat them.

So we will evolve again.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
LOL silver haha that had me almsot rollin in tears
funny as hell man

We should NOT be medling with nature* like man seems to like to do. Just about everyting we do, is a mistake. Nature is a self correcting system* If they were meant to die out, then that is what nature had decided, regarding the rise of the mammlas back then, and the dinosaurs. Its just one more arrogent attmept by man, to control nature*
I can see it now...theri gunna replicate a tyranasouras rex, complete with a gps unit that malffucntions and bar code lazered on its heel. 20 or more poelple will have been consumed, 12+ more ate in half, mangled beyond reccogniton, as insurance comapnys dont want these people on thier preffer list anymore* How about i dunno, allosauarus fighting with a brontosaurus or bracheosaurus, in the street, how woudl they control that
? thei gone! let the dead rest in peace*

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
"neanderthal man"

now THATS a worry, we cant clone homosapiens sapiens, but homo neanderthal ... no bans on that.. wonder if we can harvest his organs!!

*interesting*

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Where is the moral dilemma here? I don't see one. I do see an excellent opportunity for humans to start righting some of the wrongs they have committed.

While I agree with the concept that we should not be resurrecting species that died out naturally (dinosaurs, mammoths, etc) we absolutely should use technology like this to bring back the species that we have destroyed with our destructive ways and ignorance. The thylacine was hunted to extinction by man. We should correct that.

But this was a thread already started here: www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread44512/pg1

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Not that this isn't really really cool and I would love to own a pet dino, when does someone decide to clone hitler? When does someone decide to clone all the evil people in history? Sometimes evil is just there and not grown into. What do we do then?

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Hmm while cool, nature did away with them for a reason... they had their time and it ended. Its our time as well as the time for the life currently residing on earth.

Now i could see them bringing back Dodos, since they died out simply due to the stupid actions of humanity. Thing is is their any viable DNA left of them? Also id say most of the ones they listed are also in that category, Moa where wiped out my humans, so was the Tasmanian tiger.

Not sure why they would bother with Neanderthal man since we cant even get along with really simple variants of our own species... and they want to bring back a race of man even more different?. Sure it'd be interesting, but given they wouldn't be in the time they originated from they would basically be an odd looking humans, and you wouldn't really learn anything new from them or about them, unless your simply wanting to see how smart they could be then slap em on an autopsy table afterwards to get a gander at their insides. Not to mention the poor buggers would be treated as oddities and curios, since basically human rights wouldnt extend to them since technically they arent 'human'.

I say some scientists needs to stop playing and instead work on something alot more worthwhile

Let the dead stay dead.

[edit on 22-10-2009 by BigfootNZ]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
IN a religous sense..by what right do we have to play god* ya know? OR like in jurrasic aprk 2..when their on the boat, and the boy says with te best of intentions* The main actor guy also played the evil sceitis doctor in event horizon says, jesus christ billy* the atomic bomb was created with the best of intentions..the nazis killed the jews, with the best of intentions** things need ot be thouroughly thought out, before acitng on them*

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Finn1916

So what if somebody does clone Hitler? It's not like he's going to grow up with all of Hitler's personality, beliefs, memories, hopes, or dreams. Honestly, if you were to raise a clone of Hitler under a completely different world view, you'd probably have the next great statesman in world politics. He'd probably win (and deserve... *cough*) the Nobel Prize.

In all honesty, he probably wouldn't even have the same mustache.

Hitler's DNA would give the clone Hitler's looks and intelligence. The sort of person he grew up to be would be dependent entirely upon whoever raised him.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Could you imagine a herd or t-Rex loose in a major city. would be so comical.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
If nature is destined to fix itself, then why are we always excluded from it?

If we are not destined to play god, then why is it happening?

We can do what we want. All we have to make sure is that we act responsibly.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

While I agre that there is a very good possibility that a new Hitler would be good if you raised him so, I also have to wonder how much of our personality and beliefes are set in stone, if any.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I will predict that even if the DNA is pristine, they probability of creating a viable "resurrected" specimen will be inversely proportional to the length of time the species has been extinct.

Morphogenetic field degradation. The DNA does not contain the template needed to mature the fertilized ovum into a viable animal -- that appears to be contained in the morphogenetic field which is sustained by the cumulative existence of other members of that species.

Or at least that's my wild guess. (google morphogenetic fields or rupert sheldrake for more info)

[edit on 22-10-2009 by metamagic]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Neanderthal would be soo cool to see walking again. I don't care what anyone says, from a science perspective how cool would that be to see? Oh the experiments you could do...

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

That would be cool, especially if we could "bring" back species we have recently killed off like the Dodo and passenger pigeon. I think we almost kinda owe it those type of species.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I am reminded of that movie , Total Recall I think it was ? In the movie there was a company that would clone your dead pets .

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Is it all worth it?

Time to give up on Tasmanian tiger, says DNA expert

According to a Tasmanian newspaper, The Mercury, Austin is also doubtful of efforts to clone a Tasmanian tiger. He believes that DNA fragments of the animal are too broken to create a complete genome, and even if a Tasmanian tiger could be cloned, it would only provide the world with a single individual which couldn’t reproduce.

The millions of dollars it would take to clone a Tasmanian tiger would be better spent on conservation efforts for the hundreds of threatened species including several in Tasmania, according to Austin.

news.mongabay.com...

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Maybe they could "bring back" my old, tired body - except not old and tired - and move my brain over into it. Now THAT would be a great use for their technology!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join