It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volunteers wanted for simulated 520-day Mars mission

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Volunteers wanted for simulated 520-day Mars mission

www.physorg.com

Starting in 2010, an international crew of six will simulate a 520-day round-trip to Mars, including a 30-day stay on the martian surface. In reality, they will live and work in a sealed facility in Moscow, Russia, to investigate the psychological and medical aspects of a long-duration space mission. ESA is looking for European volunteers to take part. The crew will follow a programme designed to simulate a 250-day journey to Mars, a 30-day surface exploration phase and 240 days travelling back
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
So, any ATSers up for a 520 day stay in a tin can? I would go nuts and blow the hatch in no time. I need my open spaces.

I guess it takes a special breed of person to be able to handle the trip. Is a simulation on Earth really a true test though? You would go in thinking that you really could leave at anytime so you would never really feel like your life was on the line. You react very differently when you know that you could die if you make an error. The real thing is life or death.

One of the first things that came to mind (I am a guy after all) was that 520 days is an awful long time to ask someone to go without sex. :-) Maybe they should have couples go so they can take care of business once in awhile. It would help to pass the time.

www.physorg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
They must have missed the recent news...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
If paid very well, I could do it. I would like to take the cats with me as well, though. And an internet connection would be nice as well to allow for reading and communication.

Would the simulation be solo in the can or a small group of people?

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
How interesting, I think I would be able to handle it with no problem if I didn't have three girls and a wife to take care of. I don't say that in a negative way, just saying that I would jump on the opportunity to do something so different.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Yeah I would do it. As long as I can watch movies and listen to music and I'm paid at least 100k$..... Sure.

I'm betting a lot of people will sign in... im not in europe... NOOOOO.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I'd go If they would cover all my bills, gave me a two years worth of booze and talked my wife into believing that having a hottie as a companion was for the greater good of science.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Hm. Almost two years locked in a can full of recycled human farts and bad-tempered, unimaginative scientist-types...

I've been on ATS for over two years under the same conditions, and I've survived so far.

Okay, sign me up.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I wish i was in Europe, I wish I had more than a Jack of All Trades experience in anything they listed.

Because I would volunteer in an instant. This is my dream, this is something that I would give up everything I know and love to do.

I would do it for free, no compensation necessary. Perhaps that sets me apart...

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Hm. Almost two years locked in a can full of recycled human farts and bad-tempered, unimaginative scientist-types...

Eastern European scientist types with recycled human farts and bad personal hygiene.

Anyone interested in a bad case of class 2 claustrophobia? Man the idea sounds great but people stink, and I couldn't smoke, so naaa.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by D.E.M.
I wish i was in Europe, I wish I had more than a Jack of All Trades experience in anything they listed.

Because I would volunteer in an instant. This is my dream, this is something that I would give up everything I know and love to do.

I would do it for free, no compensation necessary. Perhaps that sets me apart...

Yes, perhaps you are the type of person they are looking for.

I could do maybe 100 days, it would be tough. 520 days? no way.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
Would the simulation be solo in the can or a small group of people?

Six people together 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for 520 days.
I am not sure I could even do that with people I liked.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
what happened to the new plasma rocket technology that would take them there in a month?

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Quite frankly, I'm insulted that they would "offer" a 520-day test for people to travel to Mars in a tin can when we have instant travel to Mars right now!

We already teleportational devices already teleporting people back and forth to Mars NOW. One of the teleportational devices is under El Segundo, California, according to a number of insiders who have repeatedly and clearly stated that we not only have bases on Mars right now, but teleportational devices for transport of humans and material to Mars.

I'm insulted that these jack@sses would offer something like this to the public. Don't fall for it -- it's a total joke.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Historical-Mozart

Sir, with all due respect, what is the point in visiting this website when you simply wish to embody Ignorance?

We do not have teleportation technology. We can barely move an Atom, and even that is suspect.

To do this is a dream for many people like myself, so you can be insulted all you want. After all, we are insulted by having to read your sycophantic drivel.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I, like many others here, served in the Navy.

From my own personal experience I can testify to the craziness that ensues on a 180 day cruise... the longest I spent at sea without even seeing land was 90 days... and that was enough to cause breakdown... without military bearing it would have gone off the rails. At the very least we had an ocean to stare at that would change.

Although I'm enamored by the idea of doing this.... I think that I would have a difficult time...

now... for those of you who said you'd do it if you had access to Internet... your real access would start to have a incredibly high latency the further you were from earth.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
as of right now, as a guy with no real ties...i'd probably take a crack at it. i might have a problem dealing with some people, but i'm sitting right next to a guy at work who annoys me to no end...and i've been doing that for two years....albeit with breaks inbetween.

what would happen if one person bails? is the whole experiment done?

and erasurhead....hilarious avatar thingie...made me chuckle real hard.

[edit on 10/22/2009 by iamsupermanv2]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Look at how many people are in prison for longer than that;
it cant be that hard;

and also we should petition them to make it a Reality Show!!!!
woo!!!!!

and i would definitely volunteer if i had high speed internet access

[edit on 22-10-2009 by DjSharperimage]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I have important personal responsibilities that I cannot leave for that long.

But if I didn't, before I had children and if I had the skills that would let me get on.....I would totally do it.

The one thing I'm not sure I would pass though is the personality exam. Which there surely would have to be.

Not due to mental illness - but because I am very personable, analytical and highly introspective. This is probably not a good combination when isolated. However, if I had a personal personality project to work on at the same time, that might make the difference.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I'm just in college, so I could surely take the break and go over there. It's something I'd certainly like to know as well. How long would a human psyche hold up, let alone mine in this simulation. Maybe I'm just weird in the way that something like that would be a nice exploration of my mind.

Though if I can't bring: Books ( gotta have my literature
), Video games ( Gotta be young and hip! ), Pencils and a notebook for drawing, and some music then count me out. Though I suppose a 520 day meditation isn't so bad

top topics

<<   2 >>

join