It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children get swine flu trial jabs, cities across UK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Children get swine flu trial jabs

About 500 children have so far been given swine flu vaccines in a study to determine how effective the jabs are ahead of a UK vaccination programme.

The vaccination study involves 600 children aged six months to 12 years.

The trial to test two vaccines began a week ago at five centres in Bristol, Oxford, Southampton, Exeter and London.

Information about their use on children is limited and the study will allow experts to monitor immune reactions and any side effects.

Millions of doses of the vaccines have been purchased for use across the UK.

Participation in the scheme is voluntary and consenting parents have been briefed on the risks.

Side effects could include tenderness, redness, bruising, swelling, hardness or warmth at the injection site and short spells of fever following the injection.

Children who take part have two doses of the vaccine three weeks apart, followed by a blood test three weeks later.

If serious disease in healthy children increases then routine vaccination for all healthy children will be considered
Cherry Lewis, research communications manager

Analysis of the research, carried out at the University of Bristol, will determine which of the two vaccinations is more effective.

Cherry Lewis, research communications manager at the university, said: "Children are one of the age groups most vulnerable to swine flu infection, so it is vital that we obtain information on their response to these vaccines.

"By conducting this study, researchers hope to determine if one of the vaccines is better tolerated or more likely to protect children against swine flu than the other in this age group.

"Although children are disproportionately affected by swine flu, only children in high risk groups and children who are household contacts of people in high risk groups will be offered the vaccine initially.

"If serious disease in healthy children increases then routine vaccination for all healthy children will be considered."

Scientists have enough older children taking part in the study but have appealed for more children under the age of three to take part.

Parents interested in enrolling their child can visit the swineflutrial.org website.

The Department of Health estimate they will have enough vaccine for half the population by the end of the year.

Vaccination is expected to start with high risk groups, the very young, elderly and medical staff.

BBC

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I read the varying opinions written about the vaccine and I myself am dubious as to whether to get the jab.

I was, however, shocked when I read this in my local paper. I have looked for the article on the web but their website is poor.

This is what the senior lecturer in child health at the University of Southampton had to say.

There has been an unprecendented response by parents and their children in the south. It is unparalleled for any clinicla trial in children that I am aware of
Daily Echo

So far, 195 children are participating and they want another 800.

How can these parents be WANTING to do this.

[edit on 22-10-2009 by Cedik]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I was hearing on the news earlier that these jabs contain traces of Mercury, alongside Mercury lightbulbs it makes you wonder what kind of "experiments" are going on. Especially when Mexico, the origional source of the H1N1 outbreak is now effectively swine-flu free.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Exactly! What worries me is whether this vaccine is actually a double bluff. That the sheeple who will flock to have the vaccine are in fact the people the ptb want to save.

People like you or I who are unsure (in fact I would like to run and hide for a few years) of the vaccine and distrustful of our governments will be killed off when the new stronger virus hits.

What really gets me though, is that these parents are subjecting their children to a vaccine that is dubious at best and at worst a lethal cocktail and all to battle an illness no more virulent than seasonal flu. Something smells fishy

[edit on 22-10-2009 by Cedik]

new topics

top topics

join